What's the scoop on pay?

bugsysiegel

Expert Expediter
I've been thinking about expedited for a long time now. I did the T/T thing for a while, but I really like the idea of driving a stretched class-8, you know, one that doesn't bend in the middle.

I guess the biggest hold up is really trying to get a straight answer on pay.

I know there are variables, truck type and payment, mileage/loads, etc, but really...

If you are driving straight truck, and you run hard, what do you make gross, and what do you end up with net, after you consider taxes, truck payment, operating expenses?

I guess bottom line would be, if I can afford to get into this line of work, I will, but I need X amount of dollars coming in over and above what it costs to run the truck, or I might as well stay at my factory job (which I hate).

Thanks!

miko

Expert Expediter
If you went on some company websites, you can get a pretty good idea what the base rate is for your vehicle. Then you have to find out how many loaded miles you can average in a week and figure the gross income from there.

bugsysiegel

Expert Expediter
Thanks, I see the companies estimates, I'm looking for real world though.

Recruiters keep saying 150K a year, but that's not what I've been hearing (and it doesn't seem plausible, imo), that's why I thought I'd ask here.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a team it is possible. As a single driver.......not too likely.
Any recruiter telling you a single driver averages this, also will tell you he has beautiful cheap oceanfront property for sale in Arizona. Why any of them would be recruiting right now is beyond me. Most can't keep the trucks they have running now. Some of these truckstops are starting to look like expediter conventions.
Davekc
owner
20 years

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
Hi
You can compare the driving gig to other forms of sub contracting locally in your area. I drove trucks for myself and others and made good money years ago like everyone else. When considering a driving career without prior exp. alot of people think its like any other job except its based on 70 hours, thats almost (2) 40 hour weeks in one week with all the stress etc.

I have 26 years in the trucking field and have since gotten into installing flooring, doing custom tile in new homes etc. I make 2.75 a square foot and did a 330 Sq ft floor today, starting at 9am and finishing at 3pm. Thats 907.00 in 6 hours. I think it cost me about 10 bucks this week for gas to go to the job.

We average 2200 to 3500 sqft a week if we want it. I thought it would be boring but it has been quite relaxing and as far as expenses, other than knee pads and wet saw blades.they are very minimal.

Dont get fooled into signing up for anything thinking youre going to get rich on the road when you can make the same money at home without the aggrevation

Dukesadog

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I've been thinking about expedited for a long time now. I
>did the T/T thing for a while, but I really like the idea of
>driving a stretched class-8, you know, one that doesn't bend
>in the middle.
>
>I guess the biggest hold up is really trying to get a
>straight answer on pay.
>
>I know there are variables, truck type and payment,
>mileage/loads, etc, but really...
>
>If you are driving straight truck, and you run hard, what do
>you make gross, and what do you end up with net, after you
>consider taxes, truck payment, operating expenses?

Several reputable and well-established carriers publish information about pay. You see this info in magazines like Expedite Now and in brochures supplied by recruiting departments. They are not pie-in-the sky numbers. No reputable company will be so stupid as to put phony numbers in ads. They are also fleet averages, not individual guarantees.

As you wisely pointed out, there are a lot of variables in play that influence driver earnings. Even within the same carrier, there are high-earning, middle-earning, and low-earning drivers. It's not just about what the carrier's pay schedule and freight availability may be. Individual driver practices have much to do with the pay they earn.

Making a change into expediting is a major career move, especially if you do so as an owner/operator that has invested in a truck. It's worth the time to research the move thoroughly before you make it. In other words, look before you leap.

One way to research pay to your satisfaction would be to gather together the ads and materials from the carriers that publish pay statistics. Then invest a day or two to go to a truck stop where expediters are known to hang out. Strike up conversations with these "real world" people and ask them to comment on the ads you show them. You'll find most expediters to be very friendly folks and willing to visit with someone doing that kind of research.