Whats the better Truck??? & Why-Opinions/Reasons

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, many O/O's in Expediting, with a straight truck, seem to have 2 types of trucks for the most part-those 2 being the FL70 & the FL80. Most of them have either a 60" or 72" sleeper along with either a 22 or 24 ft. box. However, most of them seem to be having a 22 foot it seems-atleast in my searches, so far. What is the/are the differences between the 2 trucks. Naturally I'd like to have a 72" sleeper over a 60" sleeper-however, as the saying goes...beggers can't be chooser's. I'm looking for input on: leg room<I'm 6'1", ride quality, turning radius, heights, ease of access to things. Fuel Mileage? What are good engines & transmissions that I would want to see in these 2 trucks & why? What are/were common problems to these 2 trucks? What problems/issues did you encounter with the FL70's and/or the FL80's??All input is very welcome, as it seems I will be in one of these 2 trucks, the FL70 or FL80. Thank you for your time & input. Bob

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Whats the better Truck??? & Why-Opinions/Reaso

The best input I can give you is to go to the archives and read the info from other posts. If you hang on Weave will be back in soon and will be able to answer this because he ran the FL70 and now the FL80

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

tony,i'm not sure but somehow i dont think weave is gonna be happy with you calling his freightliner columbia an fl80.:eek: :eek: :eek: as for your question bob,i can only answer from my own experience.we started out as newbies a little over a year and a half ago before we came across this great web site.we had already checked out the inventories of the few truck dealers that were provided by the company that we were signing on with.this did not give us all that many choices,and 99% of the trucks were either fl70 or fl80's.we chose a 2000 fl70 that had never been titled (the dealer that sold it to us had picked it up at auction from another dealer that had gone out of bussiness)that meant that this truck had been sitting for about 2 years on a dealers lot which we found out later was a problem but thats another story.our fl70 was equipped with a cummins 8.3 with the 7 speed spicer tranny(we could have used EO then, and known that this is a transmission to avoid.)we owned this truck for about 15 months and for the most part were happy with it.things that i didnt like about it were the lack of legroom, and the turning radius was horrendous.also it seemed that every time we got home(which was often,as we live in ohio)the truck needed to go into the shop for repairs.it was mostly minor stuff but the truck was on warranty so we made sure that it was taken care of. as far as the fuel mileage, we were over 10 mpg(yes it's true lureveto)and the ride quality was not good(they dont call them freightshakers for nothing)so my opinion of the fl70 would be that it's a good starter truck (lot's of them out there and some good deals!)and then move up to something better. DD

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

If you or in this case BBB would've ask to explain the difference about vans - say the 1500, 2500, or 3500. The 150, 250, or 350 I could and would know that with out a doubt.

He ask about Trucks bigger than mine, and I don't know the difference from the 70 - 80 - Columbia - Peterbilt - KW - or Western star. All I do know is geo is always saying if it ain’t a STAR it ain’t a Truck.

SORRY WEAVE!!!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

The FL 70/80 are essentialy the same truck.The FL 80 has a slightly higher axle weight spec other then that they are identical. I have a FL 70 actually assembled in Aug 95,sat on Orlando Freightliner!s lot till June 96 when I purchased it. The truck does not owe me a cent.It has a Fuller Eaton 6 speed,the Cummins C 8.3 liter engine and as of tonight I have 740K on it. I get 10.5-11 mpg (thats right) and while the ride could be better,the problem is we stretch these trucks out too long. I have a 60 inch sleeper,22 foot box and the truck comes in at 39 feet long.I have air ride shocks on the rear,it would be nice if the cab could also have air ride,like the old Fords used to have.
Stay away from the Spicer 7 speed transmission and the Cat 3126 engine,also the small Cummins B series engine. I maintain the truck by the book and spend a lot of money on PM care.We don!t beat the truck but we don!t baby it either. I would like a larger sleeper but that is not in the works. One thing to do if you are contemplating a used truck is to get the engine oil analyzed,high levels of minerals etc can tell you if the engine is worn down.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Small correction,if the Cat 3126 as low mileage it would probably work out OK.From what I hear and read the engine seems to start giving problems at about 400K.However there is always an exception as DaveKC can attest to.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I'm not planning (as of right now) to buy a truck. I am however planning to drive for an Owner Operator. Many many that I've talked with so far have an FL70 and/or an FL80. One had a Pete 330, but I said no because I don't like Pete's, esp. with the trans. that that particular O/O had in his truck-a 9 speed Eaton Fuller. That hi & low gargabe in city driving is for the birds. I'd much rather have a 5, 6, or 7 speed transmission in a truck. That Pete330 ironically enough...had a Cat engine in it. I don't mind Cats in heavy equipment, but I don't think they belong in all trucking applications. The spring ride on the front end, is it bad? I know with a GMC it's really rough. Also, somebody mentioned their FL had air shocks, thats not the same as AirRide-I suppose I should be asking these O/O's I talk with if they have air shocks or air ride. Many do not realize there's a difference between air shocks & air ride. A bus & big trucks have air ride-along with seperate shock absorbers, These air shocks, are they adjustable? a friend of mine has air shocks on his car 'cause he tows a trailer sometimes & he adds air or lets air out according to his likes. Another friend of mine has a pick-up truck with air bags, 'cause he runs a pressure cleaning business & builds cleaning systems for car washes & parts warehouses & such. Regarding the comment on the 39 feet, if any of you reading this has AOL, go to TourBusDriverBob's homepage, you'll see a bus there that's 45 feet long pulling a 10 foot trailer...no need to tell me about turning radius's. Smile! Anymore the busses I drive are 45 feet, the shorter ones are 40 foot, & I whip the 40 footer's around like they're honda civic's. The 45 has more "tail swing", that is to say that there's generally 5 more feet of body behind the rear tag axle, so that you have to watch carefully in some area's that are a bit tighter. Interesting though, 7 speed spicers, & Cat's stay away from. Overall though, these FL series trucks, they work well for a solo driver that wants to stay out for 4 weeks+??? One thing I won't do, is run in a GMC, I'll run in a Ford, but only if it's a 3 axle big truck thats been converted, like an AeroMax/LTL. One O/O had a FL70 with a 42" bunk on it, I said no way real quick. I may as well drive a Freightliner extended cab. Anyways, keep the comments coming in, I've read the archives, they're 2-3 years old though some of them, though interesting, I'm still looking for current feedback, & I am/have appreciated all that has come in so far. This is a great web site. Very helpful/educating. Later,Bob.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy

before my star i had a fl60 only differents than the fl70/80 is price and lenght of the box had a 16' and fl70/80's 22 or 24
reason i had a 16ft box was before they changed the ordance i could park in drive by 12"

now that i have star not as tried after along ride air ride cab amd sleeper and rear axles, how it rides you are able to put a coffee cup on dash and not spill coffee and end up floor, couldn't due that floor

still have 16 ft box with a c10 eaton slect auto 10 speed proheat genset have a fast truck truck and 13,330 load cap

big thing with fl60/70/80's is you have a city truck trying to do a
over the road job, and class 8 is a road truck have power and the ride
for a single driver who is going to drive and be done with the run and sleeper etc it's ok
but for a team when one drives and other sleeping ride is rough inthe sleeper
so go with the class 8
give bill moore a call at 800 388 3850 tsiand he'll give you a fair deal

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

All the expedite spec'ed FL70 or 80 cahssis are nearly identical. I think the only difference with the "80" model designation is it could be built with up to full class 8 capacities for axles, gross weight, etc.
You might hear some bad things about the FL70/80's, but they are a decent truck to buy as a starter expedite rig. I started out in a '95 FL70, and the truck gave me very good service with a minimal of downtime. It was a cheap truck to own and run. My FL70 had the 230HP Cummins B5.9 engine and Eaton 3603 6 speed tranny, which gave what I would call the minimal acceptable level of performance, but the pair was reliable. Most FL's you see used now have a 230-280HP CAT 3126, which again is minimal/adequate performance, and the 3126's have NOT, despite some friendly argument on this forum, been the most reliable engine acoording to most of their owners. If I were to buy a used FL, I would look for one with a Cummins ISC 8.3 engine, or if I had to get a 3126 equipped one it would have to have very low mileage to start out with as it has been in general a 400-500k mile disposable mill. Do NOT, DO NOT!!! buy a used FL with a 7 speed Spicer transmission. Worst piece of junk known to man. If you can find a used FL with ISC/6 speed or automatic combo, you should have a decent truck to start expediting with.
Now for the good part:D .... as far as expediting with FL's goes the truck has very few repeat buyers. Just about every expediter I have known who started out with an FL 70 or 80 moved on to something bigger and better for their second rig for numerous reasons. In my own case I considered the FL70 a city delivery truck, and did not find it too comfortable for the highway. The cab noise level was high, and the engine spinning 2100 RPM at 60MPH was nervewracking.
If the truck had much more than 8k lbs in it, getting up the mountains was a really slow affair that the B5.9 didn't like too much-it's exhaust manifold would glow red after a long mountain climb, and that was scary.
I traded my FL70 for a Freightliner Columbia class 8 truck made for the highway with a Detroit S60 and 10 speed. The difference is huge- much quieter, low highway RPM, not nervewracking, and more power than I really need. But again this was my 2nd expediter truck, one I don't think I would have jumped into to start out in, as it's price was nearly double that of what I paid for my used FL70 starter. Once I knew I was going to stick with expediting, I invested in a truck better suited for the task of highway running. But I can honestly say the FL70/80 is not a bad truck to start out with, and there are many for sale dirt cheap so you aren't taking too big of a risk to try expediting with one. Just have a good mechanic check over your prospect before buying:)
-Weave-

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Very interesting & very educating, thank you Weave-as for your Detroit S60, thats what many busses I've driven have in them-they're great engines! tough & can stand up to alot thats thrown to them. Interesting about the FL 70 & 80's is many small fleet owners seem to have them & are always looking to fill their seats...I can see why. What's a good expediter truck? or is it like anything else, it depends on the individual likes of a person? I've had a Ford AeroMax & Pete 330 thrown towards me too.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I have not owned one, but have tested the KW T300, and the Pete 330 is about the same. They have received a lot of praise from their owners, which has gained these two essentially hopped-up class 7 trucks an exceptional reputation. If in good shape, I would choose the Pete 330 long before an FL70 or 80. The T300 is actually the truck I wanted to buy to replace my FL70, but I could not get an affordable financing plan put together for a new one. For quality, comfort, and resale the Paccar's blow away the FL's. For a good expediter, look for one of these two on the used market, I think they rate well beyond just a "starter" truck.
I don't know anything about the Ford Aeromax, other than it is a class 8 truck that is now the Sterling made by Freightliner/DC.
-Weave-

UpNorth_10

Expert Expediter

I'll throw my two cents in. I agree with weave, most expediters don't buy a FL as their 2nd truck. I have a FL70 with a 60in sleeper and a 26 foot box (yes that is correct 26' box). it has a 3126 with a 6 speed. It is nerve racking running this truck in bad weather or up and down hills. power is ok on the flats, but is lacking on any grade. I have around 275K for milage, does not use oil, and seems to run out just fine. I change fluids often. I am in the process of building another expediter truck, a 377 Pete with a C-12 cat. As Weave stated the level of comfort and drivability go way up with a true class 8 rig. FL70's are cheap to get into. If I had it to do over again I would have started out with a class 8 truck. Hope this helps.

UpNorth }>

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter

My wife and I are planning to get into expediting, hopefully this summer. We just finished a driving class to get our Class B CDL's (still have to take the hazmat written test, though).

We've decided to invest, if we possibly can afford it, in a Columbia 112 w/ a 96" sleeper and 22' box. After considering the many possibilities, including the new M2 112, we've concluded that the true Class 8 will make us money in the long run, whereas the Class 7/8 medium/heavy duties will cost us more over time.

Does anyone have any perspective on other Class 8's that are converted to expedite? I've seen a Western Star advertised, and there's a used Sterling A9500, which I gather is a Class 8, as well.

G

I saw what looked like a new 330 Pete sitting at a truck stop in Memphis last night. That was one sweet looking truck! It's not the true class 8 you mention, but a very sweet looking truck.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

For teams that are going to rack up a lot of miles quickly, I highly recommend going the class 8 route from the beginning. I know Geo loves his Western Star, but I think it's a 120" cab, which are the most common. Your choices will be somewhat limited for your 112" cab/96" sleeper setup, I'm not too sure myself what is out there as far as true 112" class 8's other than the Freightliner Century/Columbia and one of the International models, I think the 8200.
The other route to go would be a 92" sleeper with a 120" cab if a suitable 112" can't be found.
-Weave-