What's Laredo like?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it like some big pow wow where a bunch of expediters are sitting around a campfire talking about all the stories on the road as they hang out and wait for loads? :)

Where do most of the loads go that come out of Laredo? Seems like trucks are moving out of there today.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
No big social events. Drivers mostly ask how long you been here? And then try to figure a way to get out before you.
Most of the freight goes north.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Dont believe the hype, you have to bring rugs and beads to bargain with the Mescaleros for the best SAFE parking spot, then you give tobacco to the local Subway guy to get real meat on your sammich...but the real deal is the Boys town Bus...and the ten million watt Pirate CB radios.....make sure you have WAMPUM for trades and Cigarettes for the locals, dont fraternize with the "Commercial" as its been known to have incurable viruses that eat Vans and Goodyear tires....other then that its a piece of cake...:cool: Oh and watch out for some guy called Iggy....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Is it like some big pow wow where a bunch of expediters are sitting around a campfire talking about all the stories on the road as they hang out and wait for loads? :)

Where do most of the loads go that come out of Laredo? Seems like trucks are moving out of there today.
Number one: You will need a lot of air-conditioning, its hot, really hot. If your in a van, 7 to 10 days sitting is not unusual. The smart vanners usually move out after 24 hours to another part of Texas. Learn to read alot....................

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was there longer than 24 hours, I sure wouldn 't sit at the Flying J and rot. .......lol

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Number one: You will need a lot of air-conditioning, its hot, really hot. If your in a van, 7 to 10 days sitting is not unusual. The smart vanners usually move out after 24 hours to another part of Texas. Learn to read alot....................

I don't really agree. Yea its hot have air or get a room. What carrier your with makes a big difference on dead heading out. You get long miles going in and long miles out i have no problem giving it 4 or 5 days. I would never leave except for elpaso or the mcallen area. Personally do way better in laredo than say huston or Dallas. Normally out in 3 days or less but not always. Last week it was less than 24 hours.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
There is a guy called Pedro who owns shade trees and for a small fee will allow you to park there....but ya if its HOT you enjoy they says its a dry heat....cuz after about an hour you have no more sweat to give....be sure your vehicle is in good shape, tires and mechanical going down there and NEVER carry ANY contraband of any kind because the Highway goes straight thru an inspection station complete with dogs, sniffers and detectors.....be prepared to show ID and Vehicle info....your going to the Border and its unlike most Borders/Ports its more like the wild west....and keep your valuables out of sight, vehicle locked......at all times.....

And Pedro runs outta them shade tress pretty quick after that your sitting in a parking lot, in the direct sun and its been known to get to 117 degrees pretty regular.

jay1966

Active Expediter
My experience you take freight in there at 1.10 per mile.
After a week or so of baking, boredom and improving your ability to curse in Spanish You are happy to haul freight back out of there for .50 per mile
But all the guys there longer than you will do it for .45

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would say it depends. When i was with Bolt I was asked shortly after delivering, if you want to wait until tomorrow afternoon. We have a load going East to Kentucky. I waited.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say it depends. When i was with Bolt I was asked shortly after delivering, if you want to wait until tomorrow afternoon. We have a load going East to Kentucky. I waited.

The P is doing 3 loads a day out of there.. freight seems like it moves ok. I think Dallas had 9 trucks and Houston had 7, I was one of the lucky ones to get out. No secrets given here :)