What your set up?

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
Since I am a newbie to CV world i need some ideas.

I want to make the van a little more comfy for my layovers and rest periods...

The van is a older ford F350 with 2 batteries. I have thoughabout adding some deep cycle batteries with a isolator on it. The owner seems to think it would cause additional wear on the alternator. Basically he shot the idea down from the start...

So my newest idea is a generator... Debating on the idea of a small genarator big enough to maintain two or three bats and run everthing of a invertor.... or Get one big enough to run all and illiminate the extra bats> What I have in mind of running is a small window unit AC hung out of one of the back door glass area... maybe a small fridge and possibly a small microwwave....
Havnt quite figure out what i will do for heat yet.......

Any suggestions Ideas advice???

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your at the right place to find or seek info. In the newbie's forum you'll find lot's of good stuff! If the van was not mine the KISS plan would be my guide!

Have fun, stay safe

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A couple thoughts. First you cannot run any air conditioner off an inverter so you would most likely need a minimum 2000 watt gen for that, you also need about that size to run a 700 watt microwave Second a fridge you want to run all the time so you need an auxiliary battery setup for that.

So to have the things you are talking about you will need both the gen and battery setup.

Driving someone else's van I would not put in anything you can't take out.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
A couple thoughts. First you cannot run any air conditioner off an inverter so you would most likely need a minimum 2000 watt gen for that, you also need about that size to run a 700 watt microwave Second a fridge you want to run all the time so you need an auxiliary battery setup for that.

So to have the things you are talking about you will need both the gen and battery setup.

Driving someone else's van I would not put in anything you can't take out.

Hey

What AC setup you running? I just got the honda 2000 companion and checking rooftop AC prices.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only rooftops of decent size I am aware that will run on a 2000 of is the Coleman power saver series but I have not researched them since last spring. I have one and an eu 2000 running right now.

You can add a cold start capacitor to some others and run with a 2000 but unless you know ahead of time it would work it could be a costly error, lol.

The best prices we found were at adventurerv.net

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The van is a older ford F350 with 2 batteries. I have thoughabout adding some deep cycle batteries with a isolator on it. The owner seems to think it would cause additional wear on the alternator. Basically he shot the idea down from the start...

So my newest idea is a generator... Debating on the idea of a small genarator big enough to maintain two or three bats and run everthing of a invertor.... or Get one big enough to run all and illiminate the extra bats> What I have in mind of running is a small window unit AC hung out of one of the back door glass area... maybe a small fridge and possibly a small microwwave....

If your owner is worried about replacing an alternator, I would be worried about getting paid on time. Going through alternators in this business is a common occurrence. They happen every year or two depending on how much night driving one does.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
Dont worry I dont spend money on other ppl stuff!! If it goes in it leaves when I do. I have a 750 watt Inverter already in place.... . Just to run a few items as needed...

But these long layovers in the heat are getting to me...........
Looks like I may be changing companies sooner than expected if he cant keep me busy and comfy LOL

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd recommend buying a van of your own, and investing in the level of comfort required to earn a living. If you have to start with very little, well, it motivates you to keep working, lol.
Splitting the income of a van doesn't motivate the owner to invest very much: reality. There just isn't enough to do it - by the time the investment was recovered, the van would need replaced, most likely.
Either do it yourself, or move up to a straight truck, where the income justifies the investment.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
What I did was follow Xiggie's advice and insulate the van. Since things didnt turn out the way that I planned, I only ran 3 wires for future use and mounted a 4x4 metal box to hold the cigarette lighter sockets. My wiring plan is to feed from the future aux. Battery using #10 thnn stranded wire, fused with 30A main fuse per line wich is hooked to a relay purchased from Jameco Electronics, with a master switch on the dash. Each relay is connected to the aux battery and the fuse is at the battery. I found an unused port on the fusebox that is hot when the ignition switch is on, a 5amp fuse and line feeds a terminal block for relays.

To protect the wire, I used the outer sheath from #10 3 wire heavily wrapped with duct tape around sharp edges. Lowes does carry plasitc flex conduit, but 1/2" was too thick for my run.

these two sockets are for an inverter and to power multiple sockets in the cargo area of the van.

As for heat and a/c, that is a tough one, but they do carry a portable heat pump that van be vented outside using a standard dryer vent. Not too sure of the power pull.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
The van was mostly insulated when I got it. (A old school retired trucker had it) There was a few pieces of insulation missing from the roof area that has since been replace (owner expense) It makes a big difference, even replacing the few missing pieces decrease the inside temp by a few noticeable degrees.

I thinking a generator with a fuse box will probally be the way we go. That is if I can convince him to mount a hitch to the front so i dont have to move it everytime I open the back doors for a load.

As far as using Duck tape as a protective shield ... FYI most duck take has metal backing and can and will carry current. I think if I need to get around sharp corners I will take a piece of rubber hose and split it down one side and slide the wires inside of it. That just me !;)

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
The only rooftops of decent size I am aware that will run on a 2000 of is the Coleman power saver series but I have not researched them since last spring. I have one and an eu 2000 running right now.

You can add a cold start capacitor to some others and run with a 2000 but unless you know ahead of time it would work it could be a costly error, lol.

The best prices we found were at adventurerv.net

You recall which model. I'm seeing a Mach 1 and Mach 3 under the series you stated? Where did you buy yours?

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The duct tape was outside of the 10-3 wire sheath and it was vinal duct tape.

Generator may be the best, but there are many old posts about what people like to use. I think everyone has thier preference.

Happy hauling!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You recall which model. I'm seeing a Mach 1 and Mach 3 under the series you stated? Where did you buy yours?

Where I bought it is at the bottom of the post you qouted. Sorry I don't remember if it's a 1 or 3.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
I'd recommend buying a van of your own, and investing in the level of comfort required to earn a living. If you have to start with very little, well, it motivates you to keep working, lol.
Splitting the income of a van doesn't motivate the owner to invest very much: reality. There just isn't enough to do it - by the time the investment was recovered, the van would need replaced, most likely.
Either do it yourself, or move up to a straight truck, where the income justifies the investment.

I've been rolling that idea around in my head some.... CV, sprinter, or smaller straight truck.
I've seen several mostly set up, CV for sale on craiglist where ppl thought they was going make a killing doing this kind of work... or should that be lifestyle? Some would need some re-working to bring it up to par....
What I have been trying to do is put a certain amount of each check into savings which is what i will use to eventually finance this venture, while I research the different companies... I definitely going to a bigger company that can keep me rolling and dont have forced dispatched.... Time will tell.........

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bigger companies doesn't necessarily mean rolling. You just have to find the right fit for you

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

try this ---------------- http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/44083-cargo-van-threads.html