What to look for...

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking into purchasing a 2008 Sprinter, so I can get back on the road. I've done a few searches on here, and can't seem to find the information I need help me make the right decision.

I'm interested in knowing what I should look for when I go to check out this truck. As I said, it's a 2008, it has about 230,000 miles on it, but I've been told it was on a regular maintenance schedule. Now I know, from past experience, that certain things happen to every vehicle like clock work. I was told that the fuel pump on my 2001 Chevy 3500 cargo van would go out around 160,000 miles, and it did.

So, since this truck has been on a regular maintenance schedule, I would think that most of these "issues" have been kept up with, but I'd still like to hear from other Sprinter owners, to make sure I've got all my bases covered.

My other option is to go with a 2012 Chevy Cargo Max! I may have to settle with the Sprinter for now.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't take what you've been told as truth. Make sure they have maintenance records and take a good look.
There's still a few new 09 CargoMaxxes out there for under $30k as well.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
how much it was idled can make a huge difference on the 6 cylinders

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
u should be getting a lot of PMs, IMHO. If Sprinters were that great, the cv would be a thing of the past, but , there are lots of cvers out there. A Sprinter, i have never owned one, but the stories of expensive repairs are many, not many will tell u that. I would ask the O/o sitting at truckstops to tell u the truth.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For any used vehicle, but especially for a Sprinter, I'd want complete service records with no gaps anywhere showing the proper services at the proper intervals.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For any used vehicle, but especially for a Sprinter, I'd want complete service records with no gaps anywhere showing the proper services at the proper intervals.

Great post. Probably the most important thing to have.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
u should be getting a lot of PMs, IMHO. If Sprinters were that great, the cv would be a thing of the past, but , there are lots of cvers out there. A Sprinter, i have never owned one, but the stories of expensive repairs are many, not many will tell u that. I would ask the O/o sitting at truckstops to tell u the truth.

There is still a large price gap between the two vehicles used. That keeps some out of a Sprinter. A couple of the large carriers pay no extra for a Sprinter load so thats a small factor. Not denying the cosr of repairs just making a couple points.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maintenance record are indeed the most important thing to have. You want regular service at the proper intervals. Transmission fluid is an important one. Make sure it's been changed at least every 60,000 miles. The shelf life of a Sprinter transmission is about 350,000 on the average. Changing fluid more frequently will increase that, and changing it less frequently will dramatically reduce that. Maintenance records should show that. If it hasn't been changed at every 60,000 or sooner, you're looking at a new transmission before you hit 300,000. Make sure the oil has been the proper oil. The earlier model year Sprinters are very picky about the oil, but the 6 cylinder engines even more so.

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i have an 2007 that was very well maintained, it now has 320,000 miles on it, and me personally i will never buy or own another sprinter, it does not matter how well you take care of it, it will break down and the parts are 4 times more than anything else, then they have to be special ordered, and then you have to find someone who really does know how to work on it, not just think they can, so my reply to you if you buy a sprinter good luck!!

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all of the information, everyone. I'm really looking at a 2012 Cargo Max, but this Sprinter may be an alternative choice if I can't swing the financing. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow afternoon.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I hit 201,000 miles in January of that particular year. I spent $12,000 in repairs that year (not including regular maintenance). I think I was towed three or four times. Almost all the repairs came during the first three months of the year. I was down two months due to repairs or unavailable parts. I have all the paperwork that shows that I kept to the maintenance schedule.

eb

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After hear what everyone on here had to say, and talking with a couple of Sprinter owners I know, I may consider looking at one with 100,000 or less in miles. The cost of replacement parts seems to be another issue all to itself.