What to do?

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
Can me nieve, ignorant or whatnot. I have been cargo hauling hotshot speciality items around the country for about ten years now. I'm going to level with you guys, I have not exactly been doing it legal. I have become incresingly uncomfortable with my risk and really want to change, so I want out and start fresh with something new. I'm thinking of expediting but no very little about it. I would really appriciate someone to take me under there wing and at least give me some guidence as to what I will need to do to get myself set up.

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been very busy. I think I'd do alot better being as independant as possible seeing I have been operating my own business for the past ten years, I like control;) I'd also like to know what is the best way to calculate road costs? At present I have a duelly pick up and a 40' cargo trailer, I run around the country picking up and delivering antiques, single pieces mostly. I need to change this situation. I'm wearing out and this line of work is much to hard. It is also getting to difficult for me since I spend 6-8 weeks at a time on the road and never seem to stop or catch up. But I've never been able to accuratly calculate road costs since I am constently picking up and delivering along the way.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Your comments would leave one to believe that you are running a cash business, you don't have the necessary government authority or oversight, you keep little or no records of your daily revenue or expenses, and you throw a few scraps to the IRS on April 15.

If I am all or partially correct and you want to start out doing the right thing for all the right reasons, I recommend you gather the best records you have and consult an accountant that is familiar with the trucking industry. Follow his/her advice and get your present business in order before you start a new business, whether expediting or not.

Next step would be to read as much of of these forums as necessary to get a good handle on what we do and how we do it, paying particular attention to the tax advice by Frank Katz in the Tax forum. Also read up on the business advice discussed nealy daily by many others on these forums. I think you should also talk to as many expediters as you can in the truck stops you frequent and get a feel for the truck size and company of which you might be interested. Before makeing any career change decisions, you might consider visiting the Mid America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville at the end of March, 2007. Dozens of expedite related carriers and other companies will be there, especially at the Expediter Experience exhibit area.

We sure hope things work out well for you, keep in touch

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Well you already have about the best set-up to do hot shoting with

I suggest you take the time to get your own authority in place. and you will need liability insurance and about 100,000 cargo

if your gvw is over 26000 the you will also need to set-up an ifta account.all this will take from 2-4 weeks then once your authority is active I suggest you set up with landstar.

there load board is free www.landstarbroker.com
just search for flat ltl.I stayed pretty busy with them and use sites like getloaded.com and datconnect.com

if you have ramps on your trailer you may want to set up hauling the campers but I found I made more money just doing flat ltls.

keep your weight legal make sure you log each trip and have a medical card.

dot likes to pick on this type of freight hauler cause like you most are doing it illegal and its easy money for them.

but if you have everything in order you can make decent money doing this.

I have some contacts around milwaukee,wi that always need this type of trailer.send me an pm and I will send you some numbers.

also have alot of freight out by LAX that goes back to new orleans

be careful

macmov

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for the advise. Right now I run antiques all over, but it's getting old as I have to go further and move mostly one piece loads. Fuel is rediculous and road time is outragous. I now am in Catanooga with a brokedown truck, AGAIN. On the road for 6 weeks straight and don't feel like I'm making any money. I have to buy a new truck every year as I just burn them out. I am thinking of buying a straight truck with a sleeper and doing expedited loads. Looks lioke there is money there. I will try and check this board more often for now on as I think I just may learn something here. Again thanks fort he help. Eric;-)