What to bring to my first day?

Taylor506

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all. I am just starting out in expediting and my first day is next week. I am trying to make a list of what to bring and so far I have stuff like bathroom supplies, pens, notepad, and clothes. Is there anything else you'd reccommend to bring to go over the road? Thank you expressly for your replies!!!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
How to practice to become an expediter: get in your van or car,, drive 15 hours, sleep in a truckstop and stay there 2 days..If you get through that you might make it..Now drive back home and see if you can do this.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Books or a Kindle for when you are waiting. Medicines. A spare pair of glasses in case yours get broken, if you wear them. A card for your pocket or wallet with names/numbers for your doctors and main family/friends contacts.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags black and kitchen kind ,wet wipes or disinfectant wipes, wash cloths in samwich bags so you can store them after being used in case you need to clean up

Reactions: Taylor506

D1964

Rookie Expediter
Driver
As woman, I can tell you, that expediting life style is harsh, I'm doing for 2 years now with my husband. I did it alone for 2 weeks and I hated that! Consider to get partner, friend ,anybody with you, is less money, but doable .Get cooler, that you can change from a car, buy food in grocery stores and make sandwiches by yourself, or canned soups, they have microwave in every truck stop. Eating out is very expensive, or unhealthy ( fast food( Get Planet Fitness black card membership $20 a month,you can work out in any state and location + clean shower anytime, I usually hangout there, because I hate truck stops, It smells like piss

Taylor506

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
As woman, I can tell you, that expediting life style is harsh, I'm doing for 2 years now with my husband. I did it alone for 2 weeks and I hated that! Consider to get partner, friend ,anybody with you, is less money, but doable .Get cooler, that you can change from a car, buy food in grocery stores and make sandwiches by yourself, or canned soups, they have microwave in every truck stop. Eating out is very expensive, or unhealthy ( fast food( Get Planet Fitness black card membership $20 a month,you can work out in any state and location + clean shower anytime, I usually hangout there, because I hate truck stops, It smells like piss

I really appreciate this advice!!! Thank you!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A warm, quality sleeping bag. Driving a fleet owner's cargo van probably means no auxiliary heat source. The van may not even be insulated. Preferably a stand alone GPS but a smart phone with mapping apps will get you started. Operate the van as if you owned it. Keep track of fuel expenses, maintenance costs you are privy to and the revenue the van is generating. This, just in case you enjoy the expedite van lifestyle and may consider buying your own van.

Keep asking specific questions here and please share your experiences, good, bad and ugly with us. Also talk with as many van expediters you meet. Especially vanners that are leased to your carrier. Check out how their van is set up and any strategies they may offer. Don't be afraid to activate your BS filter when talking with vanners.

Your first month or so will be the most difficult. Being away from family, friends all while living in a van. My advice would give driving a van for a fleet owner 6 months. Unless you get in debt before then. Learn as much as you can and if you like it, buy your own van.

Good luck to you! Please keep us updated on your experiences. Newbies and veterans alike are interested.