What size Van 1500, 2500 or 3500 is needed to safely haul a total of 2000 lbs of carpet cleaning eq?

Kyle Reeser

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I would like to know what size van I should buy to haul 2000lbs of carpet cleaning equipment.1500, 2500 or 3500

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd go with a 3500 but you could probably get by with a 2500. A 3500 or 350 will get you 10 ply load range E tires and a heavier duty suspension and brakes. Is the bulk of that 2000 pounds liquids?

Reactions: Kyle Reeser

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A 3500 because in addition to 2000 pounds of equipment you'll likely have a few hundred pounds of miscellaneous and a few hundred pounds of people, unless there will only ever be one person. Doubtful. Figure on 3000 pounds of available capacity to allow a margin of safety. You want the heavier duty features Moot mentioned. Don't consider anything other than a 3500.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the previous 2 posts, the 3500, one ton vehicle is your best choice.

The only way a 2500, or 3/4 ton vehicle would factor in is over mileage. Seeing that carpet cleaning is a localized industry, even in a 300 mile radius, you’re not going to put on the mileage that would make a 3/4 a better option.

Also, your vehicle will always remain loaded, a job more suited for a 3500, plus factor in additional towing capacity, something that may not be a concern at the moment, but in the future, the added potential may prove handy.