What roads to not go on in nyc in sprinter van

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I run the parkways in NYC and NY all the time in my Promaster Hi-Roof. The key is, not having any commercial lettering on your van. I found that out after calling the NYDOT, NYPD, and Port Authority. The reason I looked into it so much is I am constantly using the Belt Pkwy to get to JFK. North of NYC (Bronk River, Hutchinson Pkwys) just watch your clearance signs. I've never encountered an issue going to White Plains, NY or into Connecticut.
Hope you dont get busted. When you do open your wallet $$$$

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run the parkways in NYC and NY all the time in my Promaster Hi-Roof. The key is, not having any commercial lettering on your van. I found that out after calling the NYDOT, NYPD, and Port Authority. The reason I looked into it so much is I am constantly using the Belt Pkwy to get to JFK. North of NYC (Bronk River, Hutchinson Pkwys) just watch your clearance signs. I've never encountered an issue going to White Plains, NY or into Connecticut.
Hope you dont get busted. When you do open your wallet $$$$
Nothing to get busted for....not a commercial vehicle. I see 'unmarked Sprinters' on the Belt all the time and know a few of the local NYC couriers that drive them. Same thing on the GW Pkwy in VA/DC.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nothing to get busted for....not a commercial vehicle.
The key really is that you have to be unmarked.

Vehicles from other states or countries bearing commercial or equivalent registration plates from other states or countries shall not be deemed trucks or commercial vehicles unless they are permanently altered and marked as required in the above bulleted list.

NYC DOT - Truck or Commercial Vehicle?

Reactions: ALieNUpsTAirS

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing to get busted for....not a commercial vehicle.

Vehicles from other states or countries bearing commercial or equivalent registration plates from other states or countries shall not be deemed trucks or commercial vehicles unless they are permanently altered and marked as required in the above bulleted list.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Since I just work for a couple of courier companies, I don't have any markings or commercial plates on my Promaster. I still keep a close eye on clearance signs though.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
NYC wasn't that bad although I only drove about 15 miles after the GWB. I would go on record saying Chicago is worse. Pretty much just look at your gps and make sure it doesn't take you on any parkways and if it does theres usually a way to change your route or avoid roads. Big signs for passenger cars only anyway.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Unmarked AND regular tags, not commercial

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app
No, it's both (in order to get a ticket). The quoted text makes that very clear.

Other states have different criteria for what does and does not require commercial tags, and NY doesn't impose its criteria for that onto other states, so having commercial tags from out of state, in and of itself, means very little. You can be marked and permanently altered (for property carrying), but if you don't also have commercial plates they won't consider you to be a commercial vehicle. You can have commercial plates and be permanently altered, but if you aren't marked then you likewise aren't a commercial vehicle in NY state.

I got intensely schooled on that particular law after receiving a ticket for "CMV on Parkway" and having to pay the fine (which is not cheap).

After having lived in Jersey (Howell Township and Manasquan) for a while and making many trips to JFK, well, the Belt Parkway is just how you go right? When I started expediting it never really occurred to me that the Belt Parkway was an actual parkway parkway that I shouldn't be driving on, because, I mean, that's how you go to JFK! In my mind Belt Parkway was just the name of the road and "parkway" didn't have any special meaning, could have been Belt Boulevard or Belt Road for all I cared. And, I had gone to and from JFK several times expediting while marked, permanently altered and commercial plated without incident. Luck ran out, and then I discovered that they're serious about that Parkway and "passenger cars only" crap. :cool:

Reactions: jcochristoph

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In NY, even with no markings and non commercial plates, if it says "passenger car only" I stay off. And depending on time of day I can usually navigate the surface roads easier

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too complicated. I just tore those pages out of the atlas. Problem solved.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In NY, even with no markings and non commercial plates, if it says "passenger car only" I stay off.
Even though I'm rather loudly marked and stand out pretty well, I'm right there with you. Anywhere in the northeast, for that matter. "Passenger cars only" might just mean 9 foot clearances or something. But mainly, after that NYC cop turned and pointed to the sign and said, "What part of 'passenger cars only' are you having trouble with? I'm here to help," I figure unless I can look, walk and quack like a passenger car, it's probably best not to assume the cops will think I'm one.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I was just saying, there's people hauling freight without proper insurance and proper commercial plates without stickers. They get pulled over and someone does a little looking then trouble is coming.

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just saying, there's people hauling freight without proper insurance and proper commercial plates without stickers. They get pulled over and someone does a little looking then trouble is coming.
A lot of people hauling pizzas too that if you look at the tiny writing in their insurance policies, I'm sure say it is not allowed. I have the insurance that the companies I contract for require me to have.
I hate too even think about the average Uber driver and how many of them are improperly insured.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lot of people hauling pizzas too that if you look at the tiny writing in their insurance policies, I'm sure say it is not allowed. I have the insurance that the companies I contract for require me to have.
I hate too even think about the average Uber driver and how many of them are improperly insured.

Uber drivers are covered by uber when they are online, that being said they do verify coverage on the vehicle when they are not online.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator

Uber drivers are covered by uber when they are online, that being said they do verify coverage on the vehicle when they are not online.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
OK, wasn't aware of that. Bottom line, what I have been doing for the past 15 years being a courier seems to be working, fingers crossed.