What part of the country would you buy a used van from?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All other things being equal (mileage, service history etc.), what climate do you think is best to buy a 5 yr old van from? Is Florida too extreme on the drivetrain, or does the usually clean body and undercarriage make up for that in your eyes?
Just looking for some ideas.
Thanks.

*edit to add this would be a van for local use, so age isn't a factor as per my company.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona near the I10 corridor. I've seen old cars sitting in those areas without a spot of rust. No salt in the air or humidity like in Florida. No salt on the roads like in the north and lots of highway mileage.
Just my opinion as a Florida native.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Who you buying it from!?!? Private owner? That might make a difference from the standpoint of how it was taken care of in different areas, but if you are buying it from say ryder or Penske where you have access to the maintainance files, with the noumber of miles you are going to put on it in 2-3 short yrs, it really doesn't make a big difference where, but who is a bigger isuue...remember, chances are you are going to put 300.000 mile on it is 2.5 -3 yrs.....so it will shortly beome, "just iron"....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who you buying it from!?!? Private owner? That might make a difference from the standpoint of how it was taken care of in different areas, but if you are buying it from say ryder or Penske where you have access to the maintainance files, with the noumber of miles you are going to put on it in 2-3 short yrs, it really doesn't make a big difference where, but who is a bigger isuue...remember, chances are you are going to put 300.000 mile on it is 2.5 -3 yrs.....so it will shortly beome, "just iron"....

Just starting to look around, probably won't pick one up for a month or so. Used anything is much cheaper in the states than Ontario, and without the salt is a bonus. I saw a used Express in Oklahoma that looks decent. If I can start out those 3 more years with a clean van, all the better in my book.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I've had 7 vans since 99 and live in Chicago,were snow and salt are a way of life.I've never had any rust issues with any fords or chevys.I try to get them washed once a month,this doesn't always happen with some of the drivers.Both my current vans have no rust and are 05 and 06.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can't say that rust is not an isue at all, but for the most part, you will wear a CV out with miles before it will rust out....my 05 is closing in on 400,000 mile ( will hit that by june) and there is visual rust other then the exposed iron parts, calipers, diff, suspension component..but no body rust...