What kind of annual Gross....Round 2...keep it civ

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Alrighty then. Since the other thread has turned into a pissing match and the answers myself and other seek are not being dealt with I thought a new thread would be in order.

I still want to know what the *average* weekly income for a B unit should be.

As I said in the other thread I spoke with a Con-Way B driver here in Baltimore and he told me $1,000 per week was his gross on average.

So, as I also asked in the other thread is this guy lame/super hero/average?

Is this such a hard question to answer? It shouldn't be.

Please keep your answers *on topic* and civil. This is not a truckstop.

--
Mike N

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: What kind of annual Gross....Round 2...keep it

>Alrighty then. Since the other thread has turned into a
>pissing match and the answers myself and other seek are not
>being dealt with I thought a new thread would be in order.
>
>I still want to know what the *average* weekly income for a
>B unit should be.
>
>As I said in the other thread I spoke with a Con-Way B
>driver here in Baltimore and he told me $1,000 per week was
>his gross on average.
>
>So, as I also asked in the other thread is this guy
>lame/super hero/average?
>
>Is this such a hard question to answer? It shouldn't be.
>
>Please keep your answers *on topic* and civil. This is not a
>truckstop.
>
>--
>Mike N

Hi Mike,

"Average" for a B-Unit, taking into account year round, $1000.00 sounds about right. I only ran a van for about 6 months, before switching to a D-Unit, but that was about my average during that time. Understanding of course, that some weeks were $3-400.00 weeks in slow time, and I had a few over $2000.00.. those were the sweet ones.

In general... ONLY in general.. everyone will have there OWN numbers, but... from my own experience, I averaged over all about $1000-$1200 a week in the van, and the D-Unit averaged between $1800-$2200 a week... once again, with some low $600-700.00 weeks, and some high $3000.00 weeks runnin single.

So... sounds like the Conway driver gave ya believable numbers...if he's runnin steady, not 'chasin' freight, runnin deadhead to hotspots etc... a driver can always make more, runnin to hotspots (if his company will allow) but that also ads in lots of deadhead.

You have to remember it's not what you GROSS, it's what you have LEFT!

One guy may gross less, but 'pinch his pennies' and have more left at the end of the week than a guy who ran hard, grossed much more but "lived large"... it's all up to you what YOU have left at the end of your week.

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]Standard Disclaimer: The above ramblings are simply the opinions of one grouchy, long haired ol fart, based on his own experiences, and the facts presented in the previous post, and should NOT be construed as the opinions of any other semi-rational person![/font]

:) :) :)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

Thanks for the 'honest' reply Dreamer. I am more concerned with average income information. I am a penny pincher so the road expenses are not as much of a worry as dollars in the door are.

I find this $1,000 amount to be a bit disturbing as I am working for Dynamex here in the Balto/DC are and am making ~$750 week and am home almost *every* night. And this is running an Astro cargo van. Not to mention I am sure I am not making what I should for the effort put out. (read that as deeply discounted freight rates and a low %) Although I know 2 guys that work vans out of the same terminal as I do that are making $1,000/week doing the same work as I am.

Perhaps a new B unit and Expediting is *not* the way to go for me? And before you all tell me to go out and buy a D unit I'll tell you I am not interested in a truck that big nor do I have the financial where-with-all to buy a good/new enough D unit.

--
Mike N

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

>Thanks for the 'honest' reply Dreamer. I am more concerned
>with average income information. I am a penny pincher so the
>road expenses are not as much of a worry as dollars in the
>door are.
>
>I find this $1,000 amount to be a bit disturbing as I am
>working for Dynamex here in the Balto/DC are and am making
>~$750 week and am home almost *every* night. And this is
>running an Astro cargo van. Not to mention I am sure I am
>not making what I should for the effort put out. (read that
>as deeply discounted freight rates and a low %) Although I
>know 2 guys that work vans out of the same terminal as I do
>that are making $1,000/week doing the same work as I am.
>
>Perhaps a new B unit and Expediting is *not* the way to go
>for me? And before you all tell me to go out and buy a D
>unit I'll tell you I am not interested in a truck that big
>nor do I have the financial where-with-all to buy a good/new
>enough D unit.
>
>--
>Mike N

Mike,

Nope, ain't gonna tell ya to run out and buy that new D-Unit! Yes, they will make more money overall, but with that comes more expenses. Only YOU can decide what unit is right for you. Both have their good and bad points, opportunities and shortcomings.

You are making decent money in the local stuff sounds like for being home every night. I guess the question is, how many miles are you running, and how many hours a day to get that $750.00. There 'PROBABLY' would be more money to be made Expediting in a van, BUT there are several hundred other guys who have the same idea, therefore, a lot of competition for those loads. There are guys who run hard and make more than average, 'chasing the freight', and some who wait on the 'cherry' runs and end up making less overall.

Not to be TOO trite, but... Expediting IS more than just the money.. yes, you can make a darn good living at it... BUT.. you've got to realize it entails a lot of TIME on the road, a good bit of waiting and UNCERTAINTY. You gotta have a love for the road, a drive to succeed at the business, and the finances to weather slow times.

Dreamer

fastman1us

Expert Expediter

wow 750.00 in a astro and home every night ain't bad i just moved up frpm a "a" unit that was making 575.00 -700.00 a week to a "b" unit and i'm making 900.00-1000.00 week now but i'm gone monday thru sat.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Allrightythen:
Maybe I can splain why there are no easy, or, pat answers to your
question. (we), (I), don't know:
If your social calender will take priority over your
expediting calender?

If you will be lucky and be where the freight is.

If you will answer the call and run that short s--- load
at 2330 to take care of that customer

if your weekends are sacred, and you gotta be home

If,If,If?
As an example, if you would ask us how many steps it is from the earth to the moon, you'd get many different answers because difference in stride, starting point etc, etc.

Getting the picture???
I will suggest to you that those of us that are successful to super-successful in this business have fun doing it. We get a rush when the
phone rings because probability of new places and spaces to explore,
taking care of a customer that really needs help etc, etc, not, necessarily, what's in it for me.

When it stops being fun for me, that's when my company will be for sale. Hope this helps splain some answers to this perpetual question,you'all gotta understand there ain't any wrong answers. It's all based on individual experience, and all correct answers.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

>wow 750.00 in a astro and home every night ain't bad i just
>moved up frpm a "a" unit that was making 575.00 -700.00 a
>week to a "b" unit and i'm making 900.00-1000.00 week now
>but i'm gone monday thru sat.

Don't get me wrong here. I *work*. I am out 10-12 hours many days longer. It isn't easy. (not implying your work is easy :))

Anyways, I am getting the feeling I should just keep my spot where I am for a while. I am going to buy a new van as I said Astro is getting tired and I am tired of buying a used van every year or so.

--
Mike N

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

>Allrightythen:
> Maybe I can splain why there are no easy, or, pat answers
>to your
>question. (we), (I), don't know:
> If your social calender will take priority over
>your
> expediting calender?
>
> If you will be lucky and be where the freight is.
>
> If you will answer the call and run that short
>s--- load
> at 2330 to take care of that customer
>
> if your weekends are sacred, and you gotta be home
>
> If,If,If?
>As an example, if you would ask us how many steps it is from
>the earth to the moon, you'd get many different answers
>because difference in stride, starting point etc, etc.
>
> Getting the picture???
>I will suggest to you that those of us that are successful
>to super-successful in this business have fun doing it. We
>get a rush when the
>phone rings because probability of new places and spaces to
>explore,
>taking care of a customer that really needs help etc, etc,
>not, necessarily, what's in it for me.
>
>When it stops being fun for me, that's when my company will
>be for sale. Hope this helps splain some answers to this
>perpetual question,you'all gotta understand there ain't any
>wrong answers. It's all based on individual experience, and
>all correct answers.

Now that is the kind of answer that does nobody any good. If I wanted to know how many steps from here to the moon I would as somebody at NASA. Not this forum.

Nothing in life is certain. Heck, I may get run over by a freak stampede of ostriches. Ya never know. What I asked for was clearly stated *AVERAGE*. True, there are folks whom cherry pick. There are good customer service focused *business owners* whom incedentally are IC's for some expedited carrier, whom get the job done. Wow no surprise there. Anybody whom has read these forums at all should already *understand* what they are in store for if they choose this *business/lifestyle* If not they *are* fooling themselves.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread. Average revenue to a "B" unit.

Yes the answer to my query *is* that simple. And yes some answers from some drivers will be frighteningly low, some will be stellar. The reasons will vary for why it is so.

--
Mike N

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It seems to me like your question has been answered several times. Income in any business varies based on a lot of factors. You could get a Subway franchise or other retail establishments. How many hours and how hard are you willing to go. One of the previous posts hit it on the head,are you prepared to have no personal agenda?. You could probably do better then the $750 in a Astro but your lifestyle will take a hit. Sounds like you are frustrated with the replies you are getting,well thats the nature of the expediting busines,expediting freight is usually the last resort for a shipper as it is expensive,but when they need you,they need you now.
I would give it a shot,if you don!t like it you could do what you are doing now with a larger van.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

I agree with Rich. Rich is one of the few expediters that has almost 2 decades of expediting experience. If he says it- it’s the truth.
Learn from it.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

Lureveto

Expert Expediter

You heard it here ,,,,SO its got to be the right thing to do . Get one and run it for a few years and you will be an expert jus' like the rest of this crowd. OH ! one more thing,,,,look at the FOR SALE classifieds and tell me all those people are selling because of "HEALTH REASONS"

EXPEDITE FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Johnson

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>You heard it here ,,,,SO its got to be the right thing to do
>. Get one and run it for a few years and you will be an
>expert jus' like the rest of this crowd. OH ! one more
>thing,,,,look at the FOR SALE classifieds and tell me all
>those people are selling because of "HEALTH REASONS"
>
>EXPEDITE FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about how many 'experts' there are here, but they are sure as hell more professional than you.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

>You heard it here ,,,,SO its got to be the right thing to do
>. Get one and run it for a few years and you will be an
>expert jus' like the rest of this crowd. OH ! one more
>thing,,,,look at the FOR SALE classifieds and tell me all
>those people are selling because of "HEALTH REASONS"
>
>EXPEDITE FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM????????
TOO MUCH CAFFEINE OR NOT ENOUGH PRUNE JUICE??

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

The all-imfamous topic:

Every time somebody approches my truck at a truck stop, etc, what is the FIRST question they usually ask me? "How much money do you make with that thing."

They just don't realize how much I HATE THAT!!! They just approched me with a question with a million variables. Invariably, if I tell them a dollar amount, it will either not be enough for them or sound too good to be true, depending on the perticular INDIVIDUAL asking the question. Truckers come everywhere from Hollywood palaces to plywood shacks in WV. So I gave up on that.

If I am in a hurry, which I am most of the time, I'll answer "It depends", or "enough for me."

-Weave-

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>
>Anyway, back to the point of this thread. Average revenue to
>a "B" unit.
>
>Yes the answer to my query *is* that simple. And yes some
>answers from some drivers will be frighteningly low, some
>will be stellar. The reasons will vary for why it is so.
>
>--
>Mike N

Hey Mike!
Why should anyone give you firm figures? Expediters are independent business people and the only ones who get the info are the IRS!
I've never met a small business person yet who is willing to tell what he / she makes. I don't know what my co-workers make and they don't know what I make. It's private!
If you think you can do better going out on the road rather than in a local area; just do it!.
Come back in a few months and let us know how you are doing.

Merry Christmas

Lureveto

Expert Expediter

When I signed on with Con-Way I was told in orientation that a team in a cargo van could expect to make 120k to 130k. A single could make around 80k to 90k per year. That never happened and never will!!!!!The years passed and it was time to hear another slant on things so I moved a new "D" unit to Tri-state and it was even worse than I thought it could ever be. Landstar came closer to the truth than anybody by not,,,,,I said not specifying any earned amount for a team or a single. Thats the closest to the truth you can get {no answer on the dollar amount). So you can take solace in the fact stated by the person who said its up to how hard you want to work. What is a puzzle is why do deisel diva and mr.johnson get so personal about my statements. They must have tried that old "SELLING FOR HEALTH REASONS" on some newbie. They can't possibly dislike me for me. THEY DON'T KNOW ME ! I must have hit a nerve when I proposed we tell these new people the real way it is. SORRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

> What is a puzzle is why do deisel diva and
>mr.johnson get so personal about my statements. They must
>have tried that old "SELLING FOR HEALTH REASONS" on some
>newbie. They can't possibly dislike me for me. THEY DON'T
>KNOW ME ! I must have hit a nerve when I proposed we tell
>these new people the real way it is. SORRY
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT.

I don't know what is so puzzling to you. It never ceases to amaze me that some people are incapable of looking in the mirror and seeing what is really there before them. You accused my friends on this forum of intentionally lying to deceive new people and I defended them. That's called caring, caring about the PEOPLE on this forum, and caring about the reputation and integrity of EO and the people who make their living doing this website and all the other things that On Tme Media is involved in. Perhaps you don't think deep enough thoughts as you seem to not care that these are people's LIVES you're messing around with, having so much fun. Are you proud now? Of course you are because you are rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. None of us here intentionally insult or "go after" anyone but we darn sure are not going to sit by quietly while the likes of you dishes out their crap! Maybe you should try one of the other trucking web sites where arguing and insulting others is sport!

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Mr. L,

I'm sure from your posts, past and present, that you are a very knowledgible expediter. You obviously have the experience, and you know what you're talking about.

Noone has disagreed with you about the fact that the numbers recruiters and others throw at you are over estimated, even tho you seem to think that's what this is about.

The problem, sir, is your attitude, and your tendancy to call everyone liars, and tell 'newbies' to disregard anything we say.

This whole thing was over you calling me, among others, liars, because we "Tried to fool the newbies by saying our fuel mileage was higher than it could possibly be"

Just because YOU have not experienced something to be true, don't assume it is not true for someone else.

Noone said a THING about whether the 'selling for health reasons' or 'claims of income by recruiters' were true.

The only thing we refuted, was your claims that we (and apparently every person who 'claims' to be experienced) were lying.

You sir, seem to have a propensity towards trying to get people to argue with you, even tho we had no interest in doing so.

You may be an excellent expediter, but you have no professionalism, and no respect for your fellow expediter.

We do our best to help others, not blindly encourage them to jump in by giving them false info. We are not recruiters, we are not getting paid to give them info, we are not here to screw over people.. but you seem to think that is the case.

We will continue to help them the best we can, offering them facts and opinions that are as true and helpful as we can be. You are welcome to join in, and offer your viewpoints.. but we do NOT need someone disrupting the board by claiming we're all lying.

Merry Christmas.

Dreamer

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

Great. Just what I asked not to happen.

I want to thank those whom replied with useful information and *honesty*. Thank you. I think I will continue with what I am doing since it seems like I will be better off.

Mr. L. Seek help.

--
Mike N

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

To be perfectly honest with your situation Twmaster, I WANTED to say a cargo van doing expediting averages between $600-1200 a week, but didn't want to get yelled at as I don't drive a cargo van, and the figures mentioned are as broad as a barn door. Being home every night and grossing $750 with your Astro doesn't sound too bad to me, as you'll most likely work the same number of hours a day doing expediting, and probably not get home every night.
-Weave-