What kind of annual Gross can a "D" unit expect to

MattMO

Expert Expediter
What kind of annual Gross can a "D" unit expect to earn?
I hate to ask but....if you experienced D unit folks can give me an idea?
Thanks,
Matt

G

RE: What kind of annual Gross can a "D" unit expec

Hey Matt...I've been watching your post hoping to see some replies, but no luck so far. I am a curious newbie myself. From the info. i have gathered here and on other forums, I think you can figure on an avg. of $1200-$1500 per week. I have seen better, but this seems to be the best you can count on. $1500 per week x 50 weeks = $75k gross.

That's not really enough and I would hope that after some time with the company and experience in the field you (or I) could do better, but so far that's all I can see that you could count on.

I would love for someone to jump in here and correct my numbers UPWARDS :) :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

*LOL* expediters hold their cards very close to their chest when talking money !!!

We as a B unit or cargo van expect to gross 80G's so the big guys should be around that or better!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Many factors go into a gross revenue figure.Teams obviously make more due to longer trips and having available hours. Personal factors such as are you willing to stay away from home long periods of time. The company you are leased to may do well out of certain geographical areas then others. However if you are running single,$60-75 K is probably realistic.If you run 80% of the time and average $1500 per week that works out to $61,500 per year.

tazman

Expert Expediter
RE: What kind of annual Gross can a

I gotta crunch the numbers again ( I did this in another post)..

You have: 168 hours in a week (7 days x 24 hours)

Let's say you are a team and have good work ( actually the best )
and you can run 140 hours a week as a team....
(This assumes 4 hours/day as down time (i.e. loading/fuel, etc.)

Let's also say that you can average 50 MPH in this 140 hours week or 7000 miles/week....

Let's also say that you get an average of $1.00/mile gross pay to the truck....That's $7000.00/week.

Let's also say that you work for a Fleet Owner and he/she offer 60% of gross of the truck less fuel...

$7000 x .60 = $4200
Less fuel @ 7000/11 MPG = 636 gallons x $1.5 = $954.00

$4200 - $954 = $3246 divided by 2 drivers = $1623/week

Gents, That's hard driving !!!!

Let's try another scenario .....

Run 6 days/week (20hrs/day x 55MPH) = 6600 miles/week x $1.10.mile
or $7260/week - fuel (10 MPG x 6600) 660 gals x $1.49 = $983

$7260 x 60% and a 10% bonus = $5082 - $983 (fuel) = $4099.00

Divided by 2 = $2049.50/driver/week

Do this for 50 weeks/year and you will make: $102,475..

MONEY like this is what I'm interested in earning !!!!!

What do you all think ?????

Tazman :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Tazman..Great numbers but I didn't see a pee break in the calculations?..*LOL*

I just had to edit this. On a serious note don't you big guys have to also figure in dock wait time somewhat? Or is what you said all at premium running?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well your numbers sound good but my friend you are not going to run 140 hours every week. You are assuming that when you get unloaded you will be immeadiately dispatched on another load. That doesn!t happen.You may have to wait 1-3 days even with a team to get your next trip. In my 17 years of team expediting we have only run out of hours twice. By that I mean we had to stop for a day as we had hit 70 hours for both of us. Yes we made some real good bucks,when a team runs out of hours you have been running hard but it!s rare that that happens in expediting. Also when both times happeened we were way out of the shipping lanes,one time ended up in Halifax Nova Scotia,the other time in Vancouver British Columbia. From both locations it was a major deadhead at no revenue to get to the recommended layover area. Think and plan realistic and stay on the small side and you can be suprised when thigs come in on the large side.

tazman

Expert Expediter

Hi Rich,

I'm (of course) realistic....I know that won't happen...all the time
I was just trying to tie some things together...by using those figures.

As you mentioned, you have a great # of years under your belt...share what you can about how the business flows...busy times..typical time out on the road...etc....

It would seem to me that by picking your loads correctly and some good planning (when possible) you are able to optimize your time and as a result your income....

Thanks for all your great input....

I'm learning a lot from the postings ....

Tazman:D

G

Everyone speeks of shipping lanes but I never see anyone saying where they are.

How much freight moves in/out of the upstate of SC. Near the BMW plant.

(Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson county area)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

If you are going to drive single, be prepared for new hos rules. They will greatly change your income. I agree with Rich M. that those above numbers are not realistic. If I were a single driver I would stay away until everyone can see what impact it will have. Our company is looking at team only operations for new hires. In addition, they have sent out a memo stating that the single drivers are going to take a major hit financially. I should mention that they were referring to straight trucks and TT only.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

forgot to mention; we can't speak for every company, but in the last 10 years we have never had a problem with freight in or out of S.C.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

i would have to agree with dave, S.C. is a fairly good place to get loads. DD

Lureveto

Expert Expediter

First off let me say that NO team is going to run 140 hours a week ,,,thats a joke. Next--- 7000 miles a week is laughable to say the least. And may I ask what D unit gets 11 miles to a gallon of fuel?????? This can happen if you run 40 miles per hour but in order to come anywhere close to 5000 miles a week you have to run your xxx off and you will not get anywhere close to 11 miles to a gallon. I ran as a husband and wife team with the very best of equipment and never got over 8 or 8.5 mpg . This is with a good truck and lightly loaded. Somebody said you would have to be predispatched to run 140 hours a week and I say you would have to be closely related to the owner of the company to get that kind of money in a d unit. Five thousand a week is unheard of for more than a week or two at a time and then you run out of luck and have to deadhead or sit and wait for a load and there goes that week at a mere 2500 or so. To summerize let me say TAZMAN is smoking something that he should not be inhaling.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

I believe Tazman was just trying to give an example to show BEST case scenario in an extreme instance.

And.. as for not being able to get 11+ mpg? I have to disagree with you.... I know of several drivers who regularly get that much. The FL70 I drove last got over 11mpg regularly, and on one trip to New Orleans, where I had hours of 65mph cruising, I got well over 12 mpg for that trip, with 6,000 in the box.

tazman

Expert Expediter

Thanks for backing me up...

I was just crunching numbers....

Seriously though...with the end of the year just around the corner...What kind of miles are trucks averaging/week in 2003 ????

Thanks

Tazman:)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

So what are the D trucks making? This question has not been answered in this thread, just loads of conjecture here.

I'll throw some meat out on the table. Last week I spoke with a Con-way B driver whom claims he is averaging $1,000 per week. Is this right? Is this wrong? Is he lazy, unlucky, well paid or average?

While I *completely* understand the numbers will greatly vary there has to be an *average*. Otherwise how can anybody consider this as a business? Are you all just sandbagging us newbie's and wannabee's? Darn it!! Enquring minds wanna know!

--
Mike N

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

When discussing avg earnings please state if you are talking solo or team.I dont even recomend this business for solo drivers in "D" or"C"units.$1000.Wk would be starvation for a SOLO and bankruptcy for a TEAM.(Unless you run for someone that will dispatch on illegal runs)
Its going to get even tougher w/new HOS after JAN 4 2004.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter

I'll say this one more time and then you can buy it or not. The only "D" unit that gets 11 or 12 MPG is the ones for sale,,,,if you know what I mean. Some times the seller says this to get your attention but DO NOT BELIEVE IT. Empty and at low speed and you might get 10. Thats a stretch. Loaded and on a delivery at the speed limit and 7 to 9 is your top MPG. I had 3 with caterpiller engines and one with a SMALL series 50 Detroit and NEVER got 11.The Detroit had a 10 speed with 373 rear end and still got 8.5 at best. Now don't you old timers go anywhere but the "newbie" catagory and start talking 11 or 12 or you will be laughed at. Common you guys ,,,,,these new people need the truth for a change. This is not a truck stop ,,,you can tell the truth. I already addressed the 140 hour team weeks. TELL THESE NEW PEOPLE THE REAL STUFF FOR A CHANGE !!!!!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well I am an old timer ( think),I have run 3 class 7 trucks. Two were Mercedes Benz!s and at present an old worn out FL 70 with a Cummins C 8.3.. I have always managed 10-12 MPG. I cruise at about 64 mph and rarely idle for any long periods. The worst MPG with this truck was 9 and that was on a west coast trip in the dead of winter fighting 40 mph headwinds. Perhaps the big guys with those big Detroits or Cats can only do about 8-9 .I don!t know. I do know this much,when I go above 65 the mileage goes south real fast.