WHAT IS THE ATTACTION?

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Why do the expedite carriers seemingly have an endless supply of prospective owner operators wanting to enter this business?

Sure , it's itchy feet, new career, no boss over your shoulder,see the country while you can ,while making decent money, and a myriad of other well known reasons.

However to those who have operated other businesses, and have migrated in part or totally into expediting there is a very good reason to be involved in expediting.

THERE IS NO DAY TO DAY,WEEK TO WEEK, YEAR TO YEAR, GUT WRENCHING STRUGGLE TO KEEP AND AQUIRE NEW CUSTOMERS!

When you are leased to a carrier, the customer side of your business equation is not a constant worry and time consumer.

Of course as the leased conractor you are obligated to serve your carriers's customers in a timely and friendly/polite manner. But that is as far as your responsibilities to the customer side of your business goes.

THERE IS ALSO NO LONG SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND TEMPER CONTROLLED PHONE CONVERSATIONS TO TRY TO COLLECT RECEIVABLES!

Again when you are leased to a carrier the collection side of your business equation is not there.

This I feel is the "basic" appeal to those who aspire to expedite for a carrier.

This is a DOUBLE EDGED SWORD SCENERIO for sure!

You have given responsibility to your carrier for a big part of your business equation, so they will detirmine how busy you are, and they will set the parameters for your business income.

However expediting offers to owner operators a less stressful and easier business opertunity than most business ventures out there.

Just wait for the phone to ring!! THEN WORK HARD.

JUST MY OPINION

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What expedite is;when you get loaded,your not a warehouse on wheels,customer needs what you are hauling,and when you get there,in most cases you are off loaded right away,thats the part of this business I like and has kept me for over 20 years
The money is the next thing,I run team,but my mileage is not as much as the average solo runs at an over the road company,of course my pay is double what one would make at that company.
And the best part,I dont have to run 30 days a month to make a living,I'm usually home a week at a time when I'm home.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Kg hit the nail on the head. In my previous business I spent 60% to 70% of my time finding and selling customers.Once I found them I had to worry whether or not I was going to get paid. These things are no longer a concern for me. I am not saying that the rest of this is a picnic but it is no where near the nightmare I used to experience everyday.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Kg,I have spent many sleepless nights since entering this business.And it usually also involves holding a steering wheel while NOT sleeping.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
right on brother.. Ileft the restaraunt bus after 17 years .manager trainer ,manager, bartender. this is cake...I wont be a millionar (or a spelling bee champ) but good gaud i back up they put things on my truck i drive they take things off my truck, they mail me money.. BOOOOYAA

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I as a Carrier would take 50 ex Dairy Farmers as O/O tomorrow. Betcha there wouldn't be a glass of WHINE in the whole bunch.