What is she worth?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now we come to the place of bargaining. What are you willing to sell for, and what is the purchaser willing to pay.

I see a 7 year old van with nearly half a million miles on the original engine and transmission. I expect to have to replace both of these soon enough, regardless of how well they were cared for. In a Sprinter, those two items are big bucks. That would color my purchasing decision, no doubt about it.

So, the difference starts-- what you, the seller, think your van is worth VS what the purchaser thinks the van is worth. Let the negotiations begin!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Although I've heard most Sprinter transmissions give up by 500,000 miles or so, I have not heard that Sprinter engines are likely to fail as soon.

This is a 2006 which probably the best year for Sprinter longevity and mileage. However, we'll see what she brings soon.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It may be worth more than $8,000.

Here's the problem.
Finding someone that wants it and is capable of self funding or obtaining funds.

When I sold my 2001 Pete COE, I talked to many that I convinced that it was worth $27,000. Nobody had money.

I felt blessed when I ran into a 72 year old geezer that wanted it AND had the cash.

A year later , if I hadn't met him, I might still be driving it and I would have had to put a family member into the new truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Question for the $printer experts.

What will sitting do to an older $printer ?
I'm talking about putting 500 miles on it and letting it sit 3-6 months before another 500-1000 mile ride.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The mileage doesn't scare me on the engine, if it's a Mercedes diesel, though I don't know as much about those used in 06 Sprinters as I do the five cylinder 300 used in Mercedes cars. That engine was a real keeper, as good as or better than the Duramax's I use now.

But that much mileage on the tranny, yeah, that's a huge part of figuring price.

After perusing the Sprinter threads and posts here and elsewhere over the years, if I was going to get one, it would be an 05 or 06 in primo well-cared for condition, and I doubt I would use it primarily for expediting, but would set it up for road touring & camping, as well as for back up to my regular expediting vehicle.

Might have to change the baby blue, though ;)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was thinking utility vehicle. Room for a tent, bikes,couple of poles,etc.

Pull the crap out when you have to go to the lumber yard, etc.

Back up vehicle on the retirement ranch.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
That's what we need, a Ranch for Retired Expediters, complete with run-around the ranch vehicles that make us feel like we're still exp-o-diting, so we can sit around at night on the porch in our rockers and tell each other what we did for runs that day...

"Yeah, thought I had a load but it cancelled, so I'm still waiting for the call. I been in this parking lot for three days..."

"Had a nice run today with tractor parts from the barn out to the field..."

"Friggin' dispatch, if they knew what we go through out here on this ranch, I'd be a lot happier..."

"You see they let a guy onto the ranch with a yellow cube? This place is going to hell..."

"Hey, I hear westmicher may be selling his '06 Splinter...whaddya think it's worth? I hear he takes care of his ****!"

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
At least on eBay I won't get so many sarcastic and/or caustic comments....

It seems you had a number in mind and took exception with people that presented what they thought was a reasonable number and the reasons why.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And particular about your vehicles.
And emotionally attached as someone pointed out.
It's probably a much nicer than normal $printer. ( Still waiting for pics).

In this soft economy, with financing hard to get, it'll be a tough sell.
If business was booming, you would have sold it already and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You may get lucky like I did. It only takes one buyer.

When you put it on ebay post the item number. One of us may still buy it. Which means we bid it up.

Tell your sensitive side we're still your friends.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman, no DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER pics ?

Dont-shoot-the-messenger.jpg