what is everyone using? parknview or sattelite

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
is parknview still working at most truckstops and do the mobile truck sattalites carry the internet? if anyone knows

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i used pnv for a while but was very disappointed ...many truck stops it was out of order or only half working...went to direct t,v,...got it free and installation etc. free at the store at petro w. memphis...i love it..easy to use , lots of channels..they also are advertsing on there internet access so i know they have it...only costs me 31.95/mo...depends on what pkg. you get...frank

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I'm still working Park and Screwed. I thought I would wait and see how well the satelitte internet worked. Someday I hope they have the wireless internet out in more than the major cities.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Wild Bill,

My understanding is that Flying J is coming out with a "dream" Wireless Internet service for the first of this year.

I thought we had just had a topic like this going last month.;-)

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I thought I had seen some previous information but not all that clear. I would like to get a sattelite but one that has internet......and can be used at most locations ect.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The last time I wrote on this subject was back in October, about GoAmerica. We had just got a laptop and was excited to use a satelite set up for wireless connection. We saw in use at a truck stop and it worked really good. The ability to cruise down the road and have the Web at your fingertips. Sounded so good. Well, you know what they say about a product if it sounds to good or looks to good, beware!!!

We waited for a while before we made up our minds to use GoAmerica, the offer was up in December, when we called. They changed the offer from what Sony had offer. It was now $59.99 a month AND .08 kbp? after so much useage. I just happened to call the other person that was using GoAmerica. When they join it was only $59.99 a month no extra or hidden charges. When they got their November billing, they where charged for usage over the limit (suddenly no warning of the change) at .08. Their bill was over $350.00 for the month. They are in dispute with GoAmerica now. I am sure there are many others who got involved as well.

Park N View is only $10.00 a month. Almost every T/A, Petro and Williams now have Park N View. I have had some problems getting a good connection, but it has something to do with our laptap capabilities. Its the new Sony Vio XP O/S. I have to have a connection higher then 28. 31 works great.

You can also check with your ISP at home, most offer an 800 number that you can dial in with.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Here is a list of working Park and view sites. I created a folder on the desktop of my laptop for this page so I can check it offline. That makes it easier to decide where I will layover.

Here is the page: http://www.etrucker.com/apps/general/aboutus.asp?c=pserv2.asp

To add this to your desktop

1. go to a empty spot on your desktop and right click. Select the option "new" and then "create folder". Name it something you can remember.

2. Then go to the link above and load the page. When it is fully loaded go to "file" on the upper left corner of your browser (Internet Explorer) and select "save as" and save it in that folder you created.

I go back every month or so and resave the page. That way I have the most up to date list.

Bobcat

Expert Expediter
New York is gonna have those IdleAire stops where cable, phone and internet is part of the cost of the heat and air??? Supposedly less than 10 bucks a night:D

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been looking at DirectDuo for the last couple of years. It was developed by Hughes Electronics. I have been waiting until DirectDuo has satellite upload to go along with their satellite download. They seem to be just about ready to introduce this capability. However, you would need to be stationary to set up the dish and receive the signal. I suspect that at some time the domes which can currently receive satellite TV while moving (available at Camping World) will also become capable of receiving internet while moving.

DirectDuo also receives Direct TV.

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
WE USE PARK AND VIEW. LAST YEAR WE CALLED AROUND TO ASK ABOUT THE SATTELITE DISHES AND YOU STILL NEED A PHONE LINE SO YOU'D STILL HAVE TO BE HOOKED UP TO PNV SO WE FIGURED WHY BOTHER WE'LL JUST STICK WITH PNV

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought a satellite dish and reciever at the Petro in Toledo for $26. This included hardware to mount it on the mirror bracket of the truck. The service includes more channels than I can watch, including many sports and news channels. I also got several channels of Showtime free for 6 months. Then I went to Wal-mart and bought a reciever and dish with dual out puts,so I can watch different channels on 2 different sets,so if I want I can bring the reciever in from the truck when I'm home. This cost $46,and added $5 to my monthly bill,bringing it to about $38 per month. You only need a phone line to the reciever in the house, and I think that is only for them to collect data on Pay-per-view events you may have ordered.(I'm not sure,but I think it doesn't have to be hooked up unless you order a pay per view,I didn't hook my ph line up so I'll let you know) So, I have satellite tv on the road and at home for an investment of less than $75 for less than I was paying for cable. I am fortunate that at home local reception is good, so I still recieve local channels off air. I haven't tried it,but Direct TV does offer high speed wireless internet for about $40 per month. I have had good luck with the dish on the truck. After you get the hang of it, It only takes 2or 3 minutes to set it up,and the PVC pipe clamped to the mirror bracket is hardly noticable when the dish is not on it. One more thing you need is an inverter,if you don't already have one. I have never tried PNV,but at this point dont feel the need. Good luck!...Treeman.