What I want

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

what I need from you is any input you have on how to make this happen?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea I got a couple ideas -

one is .... never mind that one, too many experts out there now.....

Another is.... never mind that one it is too complex....

Oh, you can... never mind.... that would take too long to get going.

Well I give up.... I can't think of a solution.

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
KW
What we have here, Is a failure to calculate.
Mirror the quote. What we have here is a failure to communicate.
For short. It ain't happenin'

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is a way.

Become a bicycle messenger in New York City. Your rate per mile will not equal but will exceed your fuel costs.

As an expediter in a truck, there is a way too. People in the Open Forum have talked about how FedEx Custom Critical pays higher rates for short runs than some of the other carriers. Diane and I have found that to be true. We have hauled a number of less-than-75-mile runs for money that would meet your rate per mile formula.

To get what you want, lease to FedEx Custom Critical, relocate to an area where there are a lot of short runs to be had, and take only those.

That may not produce enough revenue to earn a living, but it will give you what you want.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
kw,]
to get what you want,just get your own authority,and you can charge what ever you want,but dont hold your breathe til you get one of those loads

greg334

Veteran Expediter
but nyc rent is higher than the fuel costs lol

There is plenty of free housing in the area. There are the tunnels, where you can put up a designer box or even a condo box. There is under the bridges on the FDR or better yet just set up housekeeping in the many truck trailers that are in the area left from all the hijacking of the 60's and 70's.

If you cut corners on medical care with the clinics all over the city. If you are hungry, you don't have to fight for food with the rats in the city, eat behind the better places in the city, you may actually gain weight.

That advice was brought to you by "the Dumpster Diver's Travel Guide for NYC".

sybild

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Raise your rate per mile to correspond with the price of diesel. If your customers are willing to pay $3.35 a mile for your services then consider your self a successful business person.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
On a serious note, there are plenty of "garden variety" express trucks out there. However, a truck configured to handle a specialized loads might yield greater revenue with less competition. Dunno what you have on your truck.

As a general rule, I find that customers who are used to dealing with "short-haul" expedite, ie. local p & d companies performing a "hotshot" load and who are not familiar with OTR expedite, are usually willing to pay more, because they expect you to return.

These suggestions might not warrant 3.35 / mile, but they might get you 2.5 or more for the straight truck.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

G

This is America where the dream lives!!! This is the land where dreams can come true

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't ask for something, you may get it

Remus,
This is the land of opportunity, not where dreams come true.

My dream was to have a quiet life and retire without killing myself, but instead I have to do this - be on the road to do a job that is dangerous and frustrating at times, I see my money that I earned be taken away to provide for the 'less fortunate' crowd (which there is no such thing as a less fortunate person), I see a lack of access to education and I see a lack of jobs.

REALITY BITS

My dream would be now to have plentiful jobs, to have access to institutes of higher education and to eliminate welfare, SSI and other forms of dependence for those who do not really need it(like my brother-in-law) - Oh and see the Fair Tax (HR 25) become law.

G

RE: Don't ask for something, you may get it

When I choose to be here was the dumbest idea I ever had:) ..now people in my country live better than me here..I'll go back in Europe

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>what's holding you?

I`ll chip in to send you ingrates back.

fortwayne

Not a Member

Seriously - get your own authority, set your own rates, and decide how many loads you are willing to put on your truck.
Keep in mind, some customers want exclusive use to your truck when they ship - bite me, they can ship somewhere else.
Find a freight broker that works with shippers that want a decent price but understand their stuff is going on with other shipments. If you make sure they understand that you have no customer service issues - well, until you are late.
The shipper wants a good price, the consignee wants their freight on time and you want a good rate - if you all understand each other - problem solve.
It just takes some time, understanding the freight lanes, boards, and some excellent customer service to be able to do this day after day.

Fort Wayne
Like Is Good!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter

KW Express
o/o till i die

heavy haul not in my formula that is already going for more than what I want.

that wouldnt be much of a challange.
but my price is not including permits,pilot cars and day time drive only.
freight is moved everyday for this kinda price. it does take about that if one wants to grow into a large fleet.
and yes I think it could be done on 85% of all gross revenue.
just do away with the fuel surcharge and set your flat rate equal to the cost of 1 gallon of fuel per mile.

and in order to provide top notch service I require top notch cash
so in order to practice what I preach I have my truck posted in indy with a team.now for a default I used $3.59 per mile for my team tractor.and I wont let it move till I get my rate.if anyone else thought with there right head they would do the same then we would see how fast fuel prices would come down or the goverment would have to come up with some form of public aid for owner/ops