What happened to Eclipse Expediting?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then why say "hopefully " at all?

You running for office?
Ya am running for mayor and you appear to be in the running for district prosecutor! Lol
Tell you what pal... You go cross examine the guys that post about cheap freight :censoredsign:s and ask them exactly what that means? :)

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
No running for or from anything here. Only one I'm out to please is my bride.

I just thought it ironic that you encourage getting rid of the .60-70 cent runners, when, just a short time ago, you were advocating running cheaper than most everyone else because it suited you personally.

What's that maneuver called again, where Michael Jackson slides his feet in reverse?

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
Hired auto doesnt mean a motor carrier has coverage for any number of owner ops he chooses. If that magical policy did exist then why would anyone insure any unit at all?

All units hauling for a motor carrier must have the correct PRIMARY commercial auto insurance SOMEWHERE in order to comply with the FMCSA requirement that primary auto insurance must be in place for "all units, owned or non-owned, when hauling on behalf of that motor carrier."

That is the law. Mainipulation of anything other than that is INSURANCE AND FMCSA FRAUD. And that's why the motor carriers who do things LEGALLY are fed up.

This fraud is what allows these motor carriers to maintain lower overhead which then allows them to bid each run lower and lower...driving down the pay for every owner operator out there.

What's happening to your lower pay is similar to scabs busting union wages, and even worse because whats happening is illegal.

Look, If your motor carrier makes less on a run, you make less on a run. Motor carriers chasing lower and lower bids are what's hurting you.

Watch your take home pay rise when this downward spiraling ends once our industry cleans up this mess that has been tolerated for far too long.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
So, what happened to Eclipse? hahahaha...This thread was entertaining, unfortunately I'm not sure if it's the right audience. As much as I appreciate the education on Insurance, I think it's falling on deaf ears.
Until shippers understand that THEY will be liable when a personal injury lawyer comes knocking on their door, because they saved a few dollars on one shipment, not much will change.
Also, Eclipse is now Lunar...

Reactions: Murraycroexp

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Planting seeds is never a bad thing. Somebody here might just ask a few more questions of the next recruiter they speak to.

They might also press their insurance agent and carrier harder. I am sure an owner operator wants insurance at a good rate. But if it isn't going to cover a loss and he could lose everything he and his family has worked for....then they paid for nothing. That is not what most owner operators would want or deserve. Certain insurance agents are just as bad and will sell a policy they know will get denied in the event of a claim. It is truly in the owner operators to call the actual insurance carrier and describe what you do. See if they agree the coverage you have bought covers that or see if they say...."we dont offer that kind of coverage???". It is truly a buyer beware out there in the van insurance market.

Reactions: mdpettrey

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
Just so everyone on here knows, I was not implying at all that anyone on here was/are not important in this fight. It is something we ALL have to deal with. My fight personally, is against the shippers/3PL's/brokers who are using these guys and trying to have us match prices against it. It's not apples to apples...it's like asking an American company to compete against a product made in China.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Lunar...Eclipse...Ha I get it, that's funny. I saw one once.
Eclipse - what a barber does
Warehouse - what you say when you're lost.
Expediter - someone who used to be a Pediter.
Geometry - what an acorn says when he grows up.

I got a million of 'em.

Reactions: mdpettrey

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Eclipse - what a barber does
Warehouse - what you say when you're lost.
Expediter - someone who used to be a Pediter.
Geometry - what an acorn says when he grows up.

I got a million of 'em.

groan.gif

Don't give up your day job!

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Just so everyone on here knows, I was not implying at all that anyone on here was/are not important in this fight. It is something we ALL have to deal with. My fight personally, is against the shippers/3PL's/brokers who are using these guys and trying to have us match prices against it. It's not apples to apples...it's like asking an American company to compete against a product made in China.

exactly, that is why if I were a broker, I would be checking all the sub-contractors insurance certificates on each and every bid, before I book the load with them.

brokers got all the power to check anything they want, its already covered in all contracter contracts.
you guys can make the carriers send their IC's insurance info to you anytime, so it can be nipped in the bud.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
exactly, that is why if I were a broker, I would be checking all the sub-contractors insurance certificates on each and every bid, before I book the load with them.

brokers got all the power to check anything they want, its already covered in all contracter contracts.
you guys can make the carriers send their IC's insurance info to you anytime, so it can be nipped in the bud.

A broker doesn't can't see the sub policies and they would not be named or addition insured. They aren't even signing the contract.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Hired auto doesnt mean a motor carrier has coverage for any number of owner ops he chooses. If that magical policy did exist then why would anyone insure any unit at all?

All units hauling for a motor carrier must have the correct PRIMARY commercial auto insurance SOMEWHERE in order to comply with the FMCSA requirement that primary auto insurance must be in place for "all units, owned or non-owned, when hauling on behalf of that motor carrier."

That is the law. Mainipulation of anything other than that is INSURANCE AND FMCSA FRAUD. And that's why the motor carriers who do things LEGALLY are fed up.

This fraud is what allows these motor carriers to maintain lower overhead which then allows them to bid each run lower and lower...driving down the pay for every owner operator out there.

What's happening to your lower pay is similar to scabs busting union wages, and even worse because whats happening is illegal.

Look, If your motor carrier makes less on a run, you make less on a run. Motor carriers chasing lower and lower bids are what's hurting you.

Watch your take home pay rise when this downward spiraling ends once our industry cleans up this mess that has been tolerated for far too long.

I understand what you are saying I am just going by my certificate to see what I have paid for and see what I really need and don't need.and if progressive explained everything correctly to me. the question about hired auto was explained to me like this. if I have a unit on my policy that is in the the shop or something and I need to rent a truck from say ryder for instance then that vehicle should be covered on my primary liability and cargo correct or no? I know I could reduce the cost of my insurance by reducing cargo from 200k to 100 k but its really not that much extra I just got the 200k cargo cause I haul mutiple loads on a flat bed. I am not a multi carrier like you I am just a carrier I only run 1 truck and 1 trailer
so its really not my battle since I dont lease on owner ops anyway.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner

Well, it's not that easy. I can find out how many units are under a carrier that has added me as additionally insured/or even a cert holder. This takes time too, getting a hold of the right person at the insurance agent and actually getting it my hands could take a half a day..but, like Elliott said..doesn't mean much if the IC they (the carrier) has their own policy. I have no way of monitoring the IC's that a carrier is using, unless that carrier has ALL of his OO or IC's under that policy.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Well, it's not that easy. I can find out how many units are under a carrier that has added me as additionally insured/or even a cert holder. This takes time too, getting a hold of the right person at the insurance agent and actually getting it my hands could take a half a day..but, like Elliott said..doesn't mean much if the IC they (the carrier) has their own policy. I have no way of monitoring the IC's that a carrier is using, unless that carrier has ALL of his OO or IC's under that policy.

its not that hard either,
each time a rate agreement is signed by a carrier, he has to include the driver name, cell number, and unit number.
so, go ahead and ask for the insurance info at the same time;

come on guys, this is not rocket surgery or brain science.
let technology do the work for you, just saying.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
its not that hard either,
each time a rate agreement is signed by a carrier, he has to include the driver name, cell number, and unit number.
so, go ahead and ask for the insurance info at the same time;

come on guys, this is not rocket surgery or brain science.
let technology do the work for you, just saying.

Well that is almost like setting up a new carrier every time you do a load? If we give a carrier 5 loads a day should we have to do this....no it isn't our job. Imagine if brokers or customers had to do that with the hundreds of trucks we operate? They would be like WTH??? So no it's not brain surgery, it's common sense and being legal and compliant. If you want to be a motor carrier then ensure your fleet completely, get VOI, or honestly get out of the business as you most likely shouldn't be in it.

Amazes me how some fight for a corrupt system that uses the owner operator for its gain then paying it's fair share as the motor carrier should. All they do is place owner operator, brokers, 3pls and shippers at risk for their own gain.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Well that is almost like setting up a new carrier every time you do a load? If we give a carrier 5 loads a day should we have to do this....no it isn't our job. Imagine if brokers or customers had to do that with the hundreds of trucks we operate? They would be like WTH??? So no it's not brain surgery, it's common sense and being legal and compliant. If you want to be a motor carrier then ensure your fleet completely, get VOI, or honestly get out of the business as you most likely shouldn't be in it.

Amazes me how some fight for a corrupt system that uses the owner operator for its gain then paying it's fair share as the motor carrier should. All they do is place owner operator, brokers, 3pls and shippers at risk for their own gain.

All that I advocate is improving and changing this corrupt system, (certainly not fighting for it). That is why the old ways of doing things has to change, from the broker to the carrier to the IC.

But one of the parts of this business that will probably never change is allowing carriers require their IC's to pay for their own insurance.
I wish all carriers could pay for this, but it ain't gonna happen. There are too many small to medium size guys that could never do that like the big boy companies do, (and a lot of IC's would rather work for these smaller guys than for the big boys).

As long as people are people, there will be some that try to beat and shortcut the system, which makes it bad for all of us. And apparently since VOI has some shortcomings, the system needs to be continued to be improved, and with time, the VOI system should help clean up the bad boy brokers, carriers, and IC's. But if the VOI system can not provide the oversight and verification and double checks that are needed, then the smart insurance guys need to come up with another way of doing it. Its kinda like when Ronald Reagan said, "trust, but verify...", that applies to VOI also.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Why is VOI so adamant about everyone having a insurance policy that says "all autos" when it only covers trucks that are leased when one of the company trucks has a breakdown? Also, why not just have a third party watchdog monitor all insurance policies for everyone, or have one or two insurance carriers named as acceptable companies to look for when checking a carriers insurance policies. There has got to be an easier way of monitoring all of this stuff. Also, I don't see the rates going up because everyone pays a little bit more for their insurance. That cost will just be placed onto the owner operator just like extra business costs are placed on the consumer when large companies have more regulations and higher taxes placed on them. The driver always loses.