What Expediting companies should know

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think that all of us shave said "If this company belonged to me, I would change some things".

Well, I have been thinking about things that the ideal company would do, and have come up with the following:

1. Get rid of Recruiters. Have you ever met anyone in this business who was actually recruited by one of these guys? Most of us talked to a driver, or got info off the internet. If recruiters have been so sucessful selling the idea of contracting with their company, they would make GREAT salesmen.

2. Reward people who have been with the company for awhile. Perhaps pay them a penny or two a mile more for every year they are with the company. Or, reduce their cost for Qualcom etc.

3. Base the size of your fleet on the business you have, not the business you want.

4. Put van frieght on vans, C frieght on straight trucks and so on.
This way your fleet will reflect the type of shipments you get.

5. Let the trucks go to where the shipments are, not where you would like them to be. You may have to pay some deadhead to relocate trucks, but you will find it is to your advantage. A busy driver is a much better advertisement than somone who gets one run a week.

How about the rest of you out there? Any ideas for the companies. I know they all read this forum. Don't :censoredsign:! Come up with something to help out these poor people.

Road Hooligan

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I KINDA AGREE WITH YOU. RECRUTERS, I HAVE FOUND OVER THE YEARS HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP TO ME, AS FAR AS GETTING AN HONEST ONE NOW THERE'S THE TRICK;) AS FAR AS PUTTING VAN FREIGHT ON VANS AND SO ON, I WILL HAVE TO DISAGREE:-( WHEN MY CONTRACTS SAY 1ST IN 1ST OUT, I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF FREIGHT I HAVE ON IT BE IT A VAN LOAD OR WHATEVER, MY TRUCKS ARE OUT THERE TO MAKE MONEY. SORRY IF THIS STATEMENT OFFENDS VAN DRIVERS, BUT 1ST IN 1ST OUT IS IN MY CONTRACT AND I WANT IT ENFORCED!! AS FAR AS KEEPING THE FLEET SIZE TO MATCH THE BUSINESS, I AGREE. WE DON'T NEED SAY 400 TRUCKS IF THE COMPANY ONLY DOES SAY 250-300 LOADS A DAY. NOBODY WANTS TO SIT. AND AS FAR AS DEADHEAD, THATS JUST A PART OF THE GAME. I KNOW THERE ARE SOME COMPANYS THAT READ THIS, BUT FOR ALL THE DRIVERS OUT THERE, YOU NEED TO TAKE CHARGE AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN FOR YOURSELF, AND NOT RELY TOTALY ON THE COMPANY GETTING YOU LOADS. FIND YOU OWN CUSTOMERS AND MAKE SOME DEALS, IT'S NOT EASY, BUT ONCE YOU GET A COUPLE, LIFE IS SOOO MUCH SWEETER. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY, WE'RE GONNA NEED IT THIS YEAR. JUST MY THOUGHTS:+ :+ :+ :+

Sasquatch

Expert Expediter
RUN YOUR CONTRACTORS 100% FIRST-ONLY BROKER OUT FRT. WHEN THE LAST CONTRACTOR IS ON A RUN SO THEY SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES AND BUY NEW EQUIPMENT FEDXCC..THEN THEY CAN OPERATE A BUSINESS AND BE PROUD TO REPRESENT YOUR COMPANY FEDXXCC!!VENT CITY--GONE BROKE AND PISSED WHEN MY LOAD WAS CANCELED AND I DROVE TO THE SHIPPER AND A CTX DRIVER HAD THE LOAD FEDX LOGISTICS!!..THANKS FOR THE $855.00 LOSS!! THATS WHEN I WENT TO A COMPETITOR AND RAN $1100.00 BACK TO BACK LOADS! NO FEDXCC GO BROKE RESTRICTIONS=$$$GUESS WHO?

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
I THINK A COUPLE GOOD CHANGES WOULD BE THAT THE DRIVER GETS 100% OF DETENTION TIME. ITS OUR FUEL BURNING WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO UNLOAD OR LOAD. ITS OUR ENERGY WALKING THRU WAREHOUSES LOOKING FOR THAT SPECIAL SOMEBODY THAT ONLY HE/SHE CAN UNLOAD THE FREIGHT, ONLY TO FIND OUT HE WONT BE IN UNTIL MONDAY AND ITS FRIDAY NIGHT. ITS OUR MESS..IT SHOULD BE OUR MONEY.
ANOTHER NICE CHANGE WOULD BE TO GET 100% INSIDE DELIVERY FEE. WHAT ARE THESE COMPANIES THINKING TAKING THEIR CUT OF THE FEE WHEN ALL THEY DID WAS SIT BEHIND THEIR DESK. IT WASNT THEM TRYING TO FIT A 6 SQUARE FOOT BOX INTO A 6 SQUARE FOOT FREIGHT ELEVATOR. CMON COMPANIES, ITS OUR WORK..PAY US..THANKS

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree on handling freight etc; the companies have nothing invested in this. I guess billing etc; has some costs, but not 50% or better! I also think someone should have to pay for delays at customs and brokers that are not the drivers fault. I usually have no problems crossing the border and don't mind delays due to security, but the last few times I crossed I spent over 3 hrs,with a co-driver waiting for broker related problems. No one back at the office would be happy if they had to stay 3hrs late with no pay. This cost should be passed on to the consignee as a cost of importation.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always felt that for inside pick ups and inside deliveries we should get at least 95% of the accesory charge.We are using our lift gate,our $450.00 pallet jack our expertise and labor etc.One time just for the heck of it I posed a question:since I am only getting 58% of the inside labor charges,if something happens and the freight gets damaged,am I only responsible for 58% of the claim. Well you know what that answer was.LOL.. Same thing about detention,we are sitting in some godforsaken place not being available for another trip until the customer shows up and off loads us. We should get at leat 95%,also with customs delays that are not our fault..

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I found this subject very interesting. This is what I think all Dispatchers and drivers should think about or have available to them at all times.

1. Dispatchers needs to be honest w/customer about actual drive time. 1,800 miles equal 36 hours not 25 hours.

2. Do not expect me to take a load if the following info is not available to you or to the truck.
1. Actual miles/paid miles
2. Actual Weight, height and length
3. Unsure of where actual delivery will be.

3. Please check the phone number given to you by the customer, nothing worse then trying to make a delivery/pick up just find out no one has the correct number to call for directions, possible causing you to be late.

4. If more then one delivery, dispatch make sure all paper work is in order for the pick up or delivery times and dates. Nothing more then upsetting then being in the wrong place at the wrong time because dispatcher did not have the correct info.

5. Dispatcher request cusomer to have all paperwork faxed to broker, all paper work in order. So when we reach port of entry, we will not sit up to 8 hours for customs to clear us.
6. Dispatch should be/needs to be available 24/7.

7. The following items needs/should be paid 100 percent to the truck and not dispatch or center.
1. Fuel SurCharge
2. Dead head miles after 50 miles.
3. Any and all detention pay after 3 hours.
4. Layover pay After 3 hours.
5. Truck order not used depending on the circumstances paid by
the hour after 2 hours, a flat fee after 10 hours of
300/less. After all I am in the business as well, and could
have missed out/turned down a another load in the same area.
6. Hazmat pay extra
7. Driver load/driver count, Driver unload, we are not an
employee of the customer. Don't forget we are a business as
well and have overhead expenses just as your office has.

8. Dispatch remember your being paid by the hour, and expect to be paid after hours. We are paid by the job. Do not hold it againest us for turning a job down that is 90 miles DH and a 50 mile delivery. This run is not a good business decision to accept.

9. Dispatch if at all possible have a return job available. Let other centers know your sending a truck out to their area. Create a cental dispatch board for the weekends. Nothing is worse then sitting and waiting for a load out west.

10. Honesty, respect, please and thank you does along way for all parties involded.

11. Drivers always be available and maintain communication with dispatch at all times. Do not cuss at them if they/customer makes an error. You have to remember most dispatchers have never driven a truck or even seen the customers area they have sent to you. Keep your self clean and truck clean. Your the representive of your own business and the company your driving for.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also pay what the adv name on the side of truck is worth
or let you find a company that will pay you for the use of sides and back door of the truck from a low of $250 amonth for van/ 16' to 24'
box to $750.00 or more and for a 48' $1,000 this would help alot.
with making ends meet, or you could have a couple of signs on the truck
like city bus have and this would help alot