What do you guys think of electric vehicles and the future of electric in the industry?

truckinginsights

New Recruit
Researching
What do you guys think about where electric vehicles are going in trucking? I would love to hear your take. I won't bias you with my opinion yet, lol.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps once charging stations are as common as gas stations, then maybe the van guys might go for it, but not straight trucks or TT.

Imho

Reactions: truckinginsights

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For now with big trucks it's really only doable for short runs, at the ports, and moving trailers around the yard. But when they get get to about a 500 mile distance then LTL trucking can put them to use.

Reactions: truckinginsights

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps once charging stations are as common as gas stations, then maybe the van guys might go for it, but not straight trucks or TT.

Imho

Since vans are not regulated like bigger trucks there will be no more 1200 mile direct runs.

A straight truck with a 700 mile range and the proper charging infrastructure would work for a single driver.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I don't think danthewolf00 was Necessarily trying to change subject - rather he was making a point about availability or the lack of availability. In order for Electric Vehicles to be useful, in the Transportation Industry, outside a local 200 mile area the would need to be A serious network Of charging stations. It would have to be a charging station at almost every place that a vehicle would park. At the point of doing something like that It makes Electric vehicles not cost effective And At that point they are no longer a clean energy Vehicle. Electric vehicles are probably Good for inner city useThey would greatly Improve air quality And reduce Much of the harmful noise . Beyond that I do not see Them becoming A dependable Means of transportation For our industry.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: danthewolf00

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
You are spot on as far as I am concerned!
EV may someday be able to handle the work load.... but that is a long way off - if ever. We don't have the Lithium crystals Or whatever was used in star trek But maybe someday

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Necessity is the mother of invention. When it becomes necessary, they'll invent way to get more miles out of the vehicles. And when it becomes necessary to have more robust charging station infrastructure, as will.

Last edited: