What do these vehicle (legally) carrY?

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
I have been watching the dispatch boards alot lately--trying to get my vehicles moving and keep them moving. I have been noticing a lot of brokers posting loads of 4000 pounds and asking for SPRINTER vans.

I know that there are a couple of new vehicles on the market now from FORD, NISSAN, and DODGE. All of them look like the SPRINTER vehicle. But what can they haul legally?

If you want to keep a SPRINTER-type vehicle, full of fuel, with a driver and all of his/her stuff actually weigh? I am sure that it is 6000 pounds plus! If you want to keep it under 10K pounds total weight in order to avoid the CDL requirements, than I think that 4000 pounds of cargo is really pushing it.

This goes for the cube vans out there also. I own one, and I really have to watch the loads weights in order not to exceed 10,000. I have been stopped by the DOT. Even though I am below CDL, it seems this sized vehicle is a target.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Picked up a load the other day 3400lb

I can haul up to 3900lb in my promaster.

I've hauled 4000lb before. Although this time my vehicle was really really low.

I noticed in the bill of landing right next to the weight it said "weight subj. To corrections...."

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
My transit scaled at 5940. I don't think I would take anything over 3,600. 9500gvwr - me 253 = 3,307. I need to loose weight :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cube vans, especially the yellow ones, are absolutely a target, because a significant percentage of them routinely run at greater-than 10,000 pounds, and do so without logging or having a medical certificate. The revenue from those fines, which can be quite substantial, is easy money.

The GVWR being what it is on a Sprinter (8550 for most) means 2500-3000 pounds. One state (Massachusetts, I think) has an actual law about being overweight on an axle, but other than that it's perfectly legal (albeit kinda stupid in most cases) to be overweight in an unregulated vehicle. Once you hit 10,001 pounds, though, the regulations kick in and it's a whole different ballgame.

Even if you're in an 8550 Sprinter and your actual weight is significantly above the GVWR, like more than about 10 percent, say 9500 pounds, and get into an accident, while perfectly legal, a civil attorney will be salivating because he'll likely be able to show a reckless disregard for safety.

I will occasionally but rarely haul as much as 3000 pounds, which puts me over the 8550 by anywhere from 400 to 700 pounds. The driving terrain along the route will determine whether I'll load that heavy. Flat, yes. Hilly, probably not.

Rather than try and see how heavy I can load, my goal is to load as often as possible with as little weight as possible. Less weight means less wear and tear on the tires, wheel bearings, suspension, brakes and transmission. And better fuel mileage. All of which add up to significantly less down time for repairs and an increased profitability. A 3000 pound load versus a 30 pound box? That's a no-brainer.

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
I was driving a 2007 Chevy 1-ton cargo van in Ohio three years ago. I got pulled over by a DOT officer who went through my vehicle. Dinged me for not having a fire extinguisher. Didn't want to argue the point that I was below the 10K pound weight and therefore, by definition, wasn't a commercial vehicle. His logic was: I am hauling freight in an "interstate" mode therefore he could inspect/stop me.

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
So, Grasshopperr, what you are saying is that your Promaster, with you, your stuff, and a full tank of fuel, only weighs 6100 pounds. That's Great!

I guess it's time to trade in the old Chevy van for one of those new $40K vehicles!

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I paid 29 flat for mine. Idk where you getting the 40 from.

I mean unless you need to finance with poor credit.

Although then you probably Shouldn't be getting into this business.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the gray area, legally. You'll find all sorts of debate on that. The maybe better question is what do they sensibly carry. You'll find all sorts of debate on that too. I had a Chev G3500 with a door plate of 9900. I could legally and sensibly carry about 3600 with the way I had it set up. I wouldn't ever consider one pound over the door plate number but that's just my decision. YMMV

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can handle 2950 legally-- after considering me, my personal stuff and a full tank in my Chevy.

4000 payload is pushing it in any vehicle you are trying to stay under 10K in. Figure the vehicles that can actually handle that kind of weight are already getting close to 6,500 to begin with-- yeah, you're gonna have a problem. We're talking 3500 series vans-- whether Sprinters, Sprinter type (like the Promaster or the new Transits) or standard Chevies and Fords-- you'll be in a heavy 3500 series van to be able to haul 4K without stressing the van too severely.