What are my options?

Yolo

Not a Member
I'm unable to obtain a CDL, I would like a career in trucking. I've thought about purchasing a truck and hiring drivers, but a lot of truckers say it's best to start as an owner operator. I'm interested in logistics any advice as to how I should start?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm unable to obtain a CDL, I would like a career in trucking. I've thought about purchasing a truck and hiring drivers, but a lot of truckers say it's best to start as an owner operator. I'm interested in logistics any advice as to how I should start?

What about a job as a dispatcher?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Ummmm there are people who have sleep apnea and still drive with the cpap in the truck. I'm confused :confused:

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Yolo

Not a Member
You are absolutely right Jenny most diagnosed with sleep apnea are able to drive, I drove a bus before with a cdl b. However my physician won't clear me medically due to the medical problems that have accrued due to apnea. Rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, and asthma.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
you may be right I will see what I can find out. I think from what I read on the fmcsa the decision is made by the med examiner. and what type of prescription drug they take for it. if op can get a med card.I stand corrected.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this and Congress has told the FMCSA they cannot test for sleep apnia because it isn't in the rules they have for medical. Congress has also told the FMCSA to tell the doctors this, therefore doctors aren't suposed to test for it in the first place.

Yolo

Not a Member
As I said, there are cdl drivers with sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before driving a city bus. There are complications with my health that (according to my doctor) at this point won't allow me to hold a medical card.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
There are companies that will hire you to drive a van without a medical card. You just need to get your own van, cargo insurance, and find a smaller outfit to drive for. You can also try and get a second opinion from another doctor. If your blood pressure is under control, and your rapid heart beat can be controlled properly with beta blockers, what's the problem? Is your high blood pressure uncontrollable? That could be why your doctor feels you cannot drive. Please seek the advice of a second doctor before you make any decisions!

Yolo

Not a Member
Definitely going the fleet owner route, I can not get clearance to drive. I'll start small and work from there. If it fails, well it's my money. If it's a success, GREAT! Either way, I won't know unless I try.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are absolutely right Jenny most diagnosed with sleep apnea are able to drive, I drove a bus before with a cdl b. However my physician won't clear me medically due to the medical problems that have accrued due to apnea. Rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, and asthma.

Go to another doctor and don't mention your sleep apnea diagnosis. The whole issue of forcing drivers on cap machines is a bogus money making scam anyways. People with sleep apnea can function.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Go to another doctor and don't mention your sleep apnea diagnosis. The whole issue of forcing drivers on cap machines is a bogus money making scam anyways. People with sleep apnea can function.

That's what's known as "doctor shopping", and it's one of the reasons we have to use only docs on the 'approved' list. It's unethical to withhold info you know is pertinent, and it probably wouldn't help in this case anyway, as the issues are secondary to apnea, and they're still unresolved, apparently.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think doctors now have to report failed tests so they can now track doctor shoppers.

Yolo

Not a Member
I'll risk losing my money on a truck or two over the risk of having a heart attack and killing a family of four. I understand some are sicker than me and drive professionally, and good for them.I'll play it safe.