What an idiot

raceman

Veteran Expediter
This is a Post just to vent and to let all know who watch ebay I am placing the item on there in a few minutes if you may wish to bid. I use MicroSoft Streets and Maps in my truck on my LapTop. This weekend it just quit getting a satelite signal so my little truck on the screen was not moving as I did. I tried everything to fix this problem with no luck.

This morning I went back to Micro Center here in Sharonville, Ohio to ask some questions and to find out if they just sold the Locator itself. The answer was NO. Deal with MicroSoft. Well I could really go on here about the way I was treated there but I will spare you that.

I talked to last person there that I was going to waste time with and he said to do the following: Get a new kit that has everything, take it out to the truck and try it. You can then determine if it is the locator, the USB cord or your port. If it turns out you need none of it bring it back in and get your money back. HMMMMMMM? I asked are you sure? Yes! As long as you do not open the software. I went out did that but decided to look at the instruction booklet when still nothing worked. Ha! The answer was right there. Simple. Scan for the proper port which I did and wala it worked. Have no idea how this got screwed up to begin with but it did. Put everything back in box took it back in to be told, NO RETURN ON SOFTWARE. I explained what had gone on and that I did nothing but open the box and test the locator as the salesman instructed me to do. NO RETURN!

Now the bottom line is the silly little instruction book was in the software pack. Therefore I opened the software. Good Lord is there anyone outside of Flying J people that will work with you anymore. Oh I am ticked. Here is the kicker. As I am telling them what all went on I pointed to the sales guy who gave me this bright idea and you would of thought I was pointing a gun at him. He was bobbing and weaving like O.J. on the field in his first career. Oh well. Now I gotta run today to pay for this stuff I do not even need.

Guess this is a story to remind all you other men, stick to your guns.
DO NOT LOOK AT THE DIRECTIONS! It once again is just not a good idea.

As a sales pitch to aid in my ebay sales, I will say outside of this little issue this is some great software and if you have a laptop this is something you can easily install and use. It is wonderful.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
Raceman, did you break the seal of the package or case holding the software CD, or just the box holding the "software"? If just the carton holding the "software" -- you may (arguably) have a right to return the product as you did not open the "software" package, just the box holding the "software". It is splitting hairs but quite possibly a valid claim for appealing store's "no return" policy.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I did in fact open the little folder than the disks are in. The instruction booklet is in that same folder and I knew that since I had bought it before. Just was not thinking. I hear you though. If I dont sell it in a day or two and I am not on the road, I will have about five cups of coffee and go back down there. I had to leave this morning I was so mad I was had to get out. Whew Mad does not really cover it. :)

Raceman
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
how bout a link to your new item? I'll probably bid on it. I could use it, and hopefully for you, someone can use it more than me (spend more on it)

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=182&item=7142185950&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW>

Do I Hear.........

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks JohnO, You are quick.

Raceman
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Raceman,

We placed our bid on your item.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks! I spoke to JohnO on the phone this morning and he indicated that some folks had told him the blue light that illuminates from the locator at night is bothersom. I will mention here what I told him. It does light up a tiny bit and I use it at night all the time and because I place the locator in the right corner of my dash at the bottom of the windshield, I never even really noticed it. I guess it may bother some. The light from the computer screen sometimes can be an issue with the mirrors but I simply close it when I really am not looking at it and when I do have it open I use it at angle that works for me.

As I told JohnO. I was used to a handheld Atlas and trying to find things using it and that required flashlight or dome light and that was much worse than anything this does. It is wonderful for me. I agree Truck Co Pilot is most likely the best out there but for $129 and 10 minutes of my time to load, this is fantastic. I bought this sftware to see what I thought about the idea and I love it. Someday I will buy Truck Co Pilot but right now I am like a PIG in Poo

Raceman
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Lawrence. Go back and make a respectable bid! I thought Jesse James was dead.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Egads,

I bid much higher then $1.75. I think it hides your actual bid.

But hey there's always room for other bidders...eh?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The salesman told you not to open the software. You opened the software and now you're mad. Am I missing something here?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Highway, What I was told was to buy it, take it to the truck and basically use it to trouble shoot my problem without touching the software. That is what I did. I understand their position some of my note was just funning. The whole thing was so stupid they simply made an idiot out of me. That has to be laughed at if you ask me and it is a great sales tactic in my opinion. There is much more to the story that is not in my Post. The Post was more or less to make people aware I had it for sale and to give a little giggle to others.

Bottom line is this guy got me to buy something I had no need for but had me off guard in what he told me to do and I bought it. Hence the POST Title "What an Idiot"

Raceman
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What I see here is a comedy of errors.The well meaning sales person could have forgot the software package would have to be opened.

The person handling the refund was only acting within their instructions. I would have asked to see the manager or owner. This usally results in a satisfactory resulution.

At this point I would go back to the store and talk to the manager.Ask him to reinburse ypu for the differance in your purchase price and what you recieved on E-Bay.

Good luck.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
the title caught my eye... "What an idiot",

as a bus driver, of large passenger busses and professional tour busses... idiots are around me all day.

Just this past weekend I had one onboard...

"bus driver, I have a question, are you awake?"

Bear in mind, this is a 17 y.o. HS student, and I'm doing 70 MPH up
I-95... I've never had a problem staying awake on 95, 95's traffic does a pretty good job of keeping one awake.

another one... "Driver, I'm in room 168, where is that?"

it's a 2 story motel, so I say, "well, if the room # was 268, where would it be", the reply... "I don't know, at the end of the hall?"

When asked if we're stopping for dinner at the next exit or the one above it... An English teacher, at a HS, can only come up with a response of what... "uhhhh",

scary isn't it?

"Driver, you got a leak at the back of your bus?"
My reply.... "yes, but it's just tranny fluid leak, it's ok".
They reply "oh ok, just checking".

Since when is tranny fluid blue with bits of white paper in it????

Just goes to show that people will believe anything if you can keep a straight face.

By the way, did you know that all commercial vehicles now have to stop for 15 minutes at every rest area (along major interstates) between the hours of 12 am and 6 am to allow for all other traffic to pass. The ones that don't are paying $10,000 for a special permit to go to every other rest area... keep a straight face and tell that to somebody - they will believe it.

Smile Everybody!!!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
BigBus, That was some great stuff. I am no English teacher. That is the reason I screwed up.

Raceman
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1