West Coast Business Question

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Currently OTR with large freight company. I live in Las Vegas, and I am thinking about getting into expediting, straight truck, sleeper, 22' box.

I am having a difficult time, trying to find out how much business there is in this area. It seems like there is more expediting in eastern and central U.S. Am I better off buying a class 8 tractor and lease to a carrier than expediting from Nevada?

Appreciate your input. Thanks all.

-DL

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Currently OTR with large freight company. I live in Las Vegas, and I am thinking about getting into expediting, straight truck, sleeper, 22' box.

I am having a difficult time, trying to find out how much business there is in this area. It seems like there is more expediting in eastern and central U.S. Am I better off buying a class 8 tractor and lease to a carrier than expediting from Nevada?

Appreciate your input. Thanks all.

-DL

Why not buy a class 8 tractor and lease to an Expedited Carrier.......unless you are getting barn sour? Seems to be way plenty of Expedited tractor freight.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Expediting is rarely a do from home kinda job, unless you live in Louisville or Detroit area. We're based in Louisiana. There is no freight here. We spend several weeks out then go home when we need to.

Are you planning on running team?

If you did a reefer truck with Fedex you would get to LA, Las Vegas, Reno, SF pretty easily. Outside of that stay with what you got or be willing to have long dead heads back home.

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Expediting is rarely a do from home kinda job, unless you live in Louisville or Detroit area. We're based in Louisiana. There is no freight here. We spend several weeks out then go home when we need to.

Are you planning on running team?

If you did a reefer truck with Fedex you would get to LA, Las Vegas, Reno, SF pretty easily. Outside of that stay with what you got or be willing to have long dead heads back home.

Hey Daffyduck528
Thanks for the info. What does FedEx expedite that requires a refrig?

dlowrey

Rookie Expediter
Hey x06col

I thought you needed a box truck to expedite. Are there enough expedited loads to support a semi and 53' van?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hey x06col

I thought you needed a box truck to expedite. Are there enough expedited loads to support a semi and 53' van?

Seems to be plenty of them running. I could of used some TT but never got to that stage. Maybe some of the TT operators will chime in and give some info on todays climate. We also had great success using curtain sides on ST. Best to ask the Carrier/s you are looking at as to what type of equipment would be best for their business model.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
FedEx (FDCC) has a very large reefer fleet for all kinda of freight. It's not just frozen TV dinners, it can be keeping something at 70 degrees to keep the humidity down.

From what I hear the 18-wheelers are very busy with both FDCC and Panther. Just because you have 53' to use doesn't mean you'll always use it. Often your cargo is 1 pallet, but who cares if your making full truck rate plus for the load...! And Fedex has company owned reefer 53's you can pull.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
And I'm not trying to push FedEx down your throat, but when I'm in California and vegas I only see 3 expedite companies out there, FedEx , Panther and Landstar. I'd recommend Landstar but I think there are some strict requirements to get in... IDK? Maybe a Landstar driver can fill you in.