Weighing my options

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Hello everyone,
I am a former driver currently serving in the military. I have a class A license but moat of my driving has been straight truck. Some otr but mostly local, hauling propane and fuel. My military contract is up in 2 years and I'm wanting to try expediting. I've always been interested in it but never took the chance.
My plan is to drive for a fleet owner for awhile before buying my own truck. Im planning to move to western Michigan near grand rapids and running from there. I'm wondering if my plan will work to mainly run the Midwest states like Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Indiana etc. I have a wife and son and my hometime is very important to me so I'm wondering if its feasible to be out between 2 and 5 nights a week and make enough money staying in that region. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Ok, so are you saying that expediting is not good for me or is it possible to get into it and stay more local?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello everyone,
I am a former driver currently serving in the military. I have a class A license but moat of my driving has been straight truck. Some otr but mostly local, hauling propane and fuel. My military contract is up in 2 years and I'm wanting to try expediting. I've always been interested in it but never took the chance.
My plan is to drive for a fleet owner for awhile before buying my own truck. Im planning to move to western Michigan near grand rapids and running from there. I'm wondering if my plan will work to mainly run the Midwest states like Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Indiana etc. I have a wife and son and my hometime is very important to me so I'm wondering if its feasible to be out between 2 and 5 nights a week and make enough money staying in that region. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
Sounds like a same day delivery service would best fill your requirements.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are a few expedite carriers in Michigan that will keep you local if that's what you want. My carrier has several trucks and vans that run local, within 200 miles, within 500, etc.

There is a lot of local freight that many drivers will not do, because they're looking for the long miles. So a lot of carriers are happy to find drivers who want local runs in the very states you list.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, so are you saying that expediting is not good for me or is it possible to get into it and stay more local?

Longhaul? Nope. Not a job for a young guy with wife & little one. They need you at home.
As far as local or regional, that makes more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Turtle. Thank you thats encouraging. Would you be able to let me know the names of those carriers. Like I said I have a couple years yet before I can start, I'm just trying to do my research to make sure I'm successful

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle. Thank you thats encouraging. Would you be able to let me know the names of those carriers. Like I said I have a couple years yet before I can start, I'm just trying to do my research to make sure I'm successful
Well, the only one that I know for sure who has trucks that stay local would be Load One, the carrier that I'm with. But I have heard drivers with other carriers talk about staying local or there are other drivers with their carriers who do. I know Panther used to have local drivers, but I don't know if they still do. Hopefully someone can give you some information that's a little more concrete than that. But a recruiter at any of the carriers will be able to tell you.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My opinion is that Load One has way too many local drivers in my area (SE MI). Usually when I go home with a load there are about 25-30 Sprinters hanging around for that short stuff because you have many retired drivers hogging up all of the short freight. JMHO.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Also, what is the schedule like for otr in expediting
You go where the freight goes. If you live in the freight lanes, like Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, you can get home more often, because so much freight goes into those areas. I live in western Kentucky and I last left home to go in service on Oct 14th.

mc_philly83

Active Expediter
Researching
Thank you to everyone for your advice. It does sound like a regional expedite job is what I'm looking for. How much money can I expect to bring home with that position, driving for a fleet owner?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you to everyone for your advice. It does sound like a regional expedite job is what I'm looking for. How much money can I expect to bring home with that position, driving for a fleet owner?
Probably not enough to support a family with kids. Maybe 500-700/wk before taxes. Remember you will get a 1099 from the o/o for your wages. Then you pay about 30% for taxes leaving you a minimal paycheck. JMHO.

BRoug

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Driver
My opinion you should apply at Coca Cola or Frito lay and company like that that will give you good benefits, a good work out and pay!

Reactions: zero3nine

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Move to Georgia. ATL Courier would hire you in a hot second. Their trucks all go out and come straight back. Overnight or 2-3 day trips are rare, usually part of a specific project for a customer that schedules it well in advance.

Training pay for the first few days (sitting in a conference room learning about paperwork and apps) is $15 per hour, usually 3-4 days. Then your first 90 days pay $17-18 per hour. If you stand out, you'll get your 90 day review early and bump to $20 per hour. There are hourly wage increases for flatbed or hazmat certifications.

5 PTO days in the first year, 10 PTO in the second through 5th year, then it's 15 PTO days (all based on 8 hour days)

The tractors are mostly late model Kenworth T680 sleeper units, although they do have a few day cabs. Ford F750 box trucks.