We the only team thats slow?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
August started out with a bang but dried up half way through. Been kinda slow ever since. As a team we can't seem to find a long load (over 700 miles) more than once a week. Only one run over 900 in the last few weeks. I know this is suppose to be the busy time, but can't prove it by us.

We do get offered short runs like 150 miles of d/h with a 150 mile run. Or 300 mile runs with 150+ miles of d/h. Just wondering if its just us and we have just had a bad stretch of luck or if there are others. We did get one offer that was really good and about 10 minutes before we arrived at pickup it cancelled. Could be I need to change my cologne or maybe I'm just a whiner.

Hope everyone else is too busy racking up the miles to reply.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in a c/v and it was really busy for me towards the end of August but the past 7 days, its gotten slow. I'm sitting more again as oppose to running straight for days.

But it might be my locations. I'm in Dallas, not horrible but not freight central either.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be the type of vehicle, carrier, or both. We have been busy and other fleet owners I have talked to seem pretty steady as well.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We did a dispatcher a favor and took a load to Southern Georgia, then had to d/h to Nashville to get another load. Leaving us a net profit of zip cuz of the relocation. This time we took a load to up state NY cuz we had not had a good offer in a while and this one was 800 miles. So we have moved out of the freight lanes also. We were in Rockford and were offered a bunch of short loads then the offer that cancelled and then moved to Elk Grove. It took a while to get out of there as well. Again offered several 100-200 mile runs. Not much profit on those for a team. We will stick with it for a few more months and see if the longer runs come back. If not my wife may just stay home and I will run solo until business picks up. Can't see making her crazy out here too. Shes too good a lady for that.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Looking at getting paid for 100 or 200 miles is better than none. Why not grab some of those and see if you can get more than 1 a day?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What carrier is this that kind find loads out of Chicago?
There are a ton of them regardless of vehicle size.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
You need a new company ! I learned to not do favors anymore unless they fit my $ because the last few favors I did came back and bit me in the backside! Now the people I did favors for try to make me look bad !

Take care of yourself and your $ always.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Know your pain, slow freight, favors failing and the like. Of course you are NOT whining, finally people understand that about these types of posts. Either that or they are slow too and don't want to admit it. Good luck, hang in there, it's going to pick up...

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

idtrans

Expert Expediter
wish I was slower 12,500 miles solo in august and 4450 in sept with 6 days off in sept I am slammed. My other tractor is working 16 hour shifts moving frac water in nd non stop trucking he loves it the driver is banking great $ . I am off to ND in a month also to move frac as soon as I get the wet kit slapped onto my tractor. 125 miles total a day of driving and 10 hours + wait time for loading and unloading.

It's gonna be a fun winter yippy !!!!

Point is I was running leased to a company and they ran me when it was to their advantage and I got tired of it weant all the way on my own and got real creative and ran expedited reefer runs and dry freight in my semi and then it started getting slow because of so much competition that I studied more and found the frac water gig where he needed 2 more trucks so bingo I grabbed it. and it's awesome runs and easy work just cold and boring.

So if your company doesn't want to work with you or treats you wrong switch many great companies out here that need great drivers. And they will work you the trick is finding the company that is going to fit your needs.

Best of luck

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I spoke too soon. Did another favor and picked up a load to El Paso. So we maybe stuck in the desert but at least it was almost 1800 miles. Nice run if we don't get hammered with a bunch of dead head out of there. We be happy for a day or two. Until the next time we get stuck. Thanks for all of the posts and words of encouragement.

singing "El Paso City, by the Rio Grande" "1800 miles and headed South" "No longer down in the mouth" "until next time, cuz I'm headed South"

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
tumble, just stay well within the US border, no walking, riding or driving into Mexico for some cheap merchandise/food and fun. There was a day, but too risky anymore.

idtrans, isn't the Idaho gig hard on your equipment with all the off road? I've heard a driver can qross some good money up there but the roads and overweight problems (in the case of equipment laods anyway) can rear it's ugly head in maintenance and compliance issues.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No your not and dont feel bad. Since comming back into service in July after taking 12 days off me and my female Co driver have not popped like we had been popping. I guess staying in service for 22 weeks straight had some advantages. Before that (I was off 12 days back in Jan 19th to Feb but not before I had been in service for 8 months straight. From Easter of 2010.)
That being said we drive a Tractor Trailer Combo and pull a. 48Ft spread Axel reefer. TVAL ect ect.
I dont have to say more than that.
I know for a fact there are some places that ask for 53Ft weather they realy need it or not. So that being said I know we dont come up in the que. Unless the dispatcher calls the company and finds out weather they can send us to do the job or not. There is one thing I have noted and that every time I do a California run I pay heck getting back to the eastern Sea Board Freight lanes.
Today's my Birthday So I went over to the The truck center next to the TA in Dallas. It was real interesting. WG

Last edited:

idtrans

Expert Expediter
It's not that bad has it's moments and some roads are rough but the pay is very high so used $30k trucks are easy to replace and plentiful. I just picked up a kw t800 with wet kit for $15k and its on way now to tx to get a belly dump I purchased

tumble, just stay well within the US border, no walking, riding or driving into Mexico for some cheap merchandise/food and fun. There was a day, but too risky anymore.

idtrans, isn't the Idaho gig hard on your equipment with all the off road? I've heard a driver can qross some good money up there but the roads and overweight problems (in the case of equipment laods anyway) can rear it's ugly head in maintenance and compliance issues.