We are ingesting plastics now,,,,noooo way???

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Margarine is hydrogenated, containing small particles of plastic to make it more spreadable. Why I use strictly real stick butter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well... no, margarine doesn't contain small particles of plastic. Butter in the US is at least 80% fat, about 18% water, and 1-2% milk solids. Higher quality butter, like European and Irish butter is 82% fat, making it creamier and more spreadable. Amish butter, by the way, is 84% fat.

Margarine also contains at least 80% fat (by law), and if it's less than 80% it is called "spread."

The fat in butter is animal fat, which remains solid at room temperature, whereas the fat in margarine is vegetable fat, which, like all vegetable oils, remains liquid at room temperature.

To make margarine remain solid at room temperature (i,e, more spreadable, in addition to reducing the like likelihood of turning rancid, thereby increasing the shelf life) they use an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil, which causes the oil to become solid at room temperature. The hydrogenation process also creates trans fat (trans-fatty acids) as a byproduct. There are minuscule amounts of trans fats that occur naturally, mostly in meats, and are called, I kid you not, cis trans fats. The molecules have a bent shape bonded with carbon atoms that our bodies can at least deal with and break down. Hydrogenated oils replace the carbon atom bonds with hydrogen atoms, creating a very straight, long-chain molecule that doesn't exist in nature and our bodies don't know how to deal with them.

These unnatural long-chain molecules dramatically decrease the good cholesterol and increase the bad cholesterol. They're so bad for the body that nearly every country has banned the use of added trans fats in foods.

Even margarine today contains no trans fats as a result of hydrogenation, so it's safer to eat. Nevertheless, margarine is still an invented food. A good general rule of thumb is, don't eat invented food, eat natural food instead.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you copy this from Wikipedia???...lol..

And, incidentally, you are incorrect saying that margarine does not contain small parties of plastic. My ex- fiance is a certified dietician at a well known nursing home and she can,, will, in fact prove you incorrect as well...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did you copy this from Wikipedia???...lol..
The Left Wing Essay Site? No.
I spent 26 years in the foodservice industry beginning as a chef in a French kitchen for many years, then in restaurant management, R&D, and Food Handling Safety. In those capacities, one tends to learn a few things, even before Wikipedia.

And, incidentally, you are incorrect saying that margarine does not contain small parties of plastic.
Not in the context of my reply to the astonishing notion that margarine is hydrogenated, and that the hydrogenation process introduces plastic particles to make it more spreadable, or that plastic is introduced in any way whatsoever, as a means to make it more spreadable.

In a much broader sense, since plastics are in everything we consume, including the water we drink, and the fruits and vegetables we eat, then sure, there is plastic in the margarine. But I guarantee you, nobody puts plastic into margarine to make it more spreadable.

My ex- fiance is a certified dietician at a well known nursing home and she can,, will, in fact prove you incorrect as well...
Not in the context of plastic being intentionally or even unintentionally introduced into margarine to make it more spreadable, as you claim. And if your certified dietitian ex tells you that margarine is just one molecule away from being plastic, tell her to stop doing Internet.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Left Wing Essay Site? No.
I spent 26 years in the foodservice industry beginning as a chef in a French kitchen for many years, then in restaurant management, R&D, and Food Handling Safety. In those capacities, one tends to learn a few things, even before Wikipedia.

Not in the context of my reply to the astonishing notion that margarine is hydrogenated, and that the hydrogenation process introduces plastic particles to make it more spreadable, or that plastic is introduced in any way whatsoever, as a means to make it more spreadable.

In a much broader sense, since plastics are in everything we consume, including the water we drink, and the fruits and vegetables we eat, then sure, there is plastic in the margarine. But I guarantee you, nobody puts plastic into margarine to make it more spreadable.

Not in the context of plastic being intentionally or even unintentionally introduced into margarine to make it more spreadable, as you claim. And if your certified dietitian ex tells you that margarine is just one molecule away from being plastic, tell her to stop doing Internet.
She is college educated in this field, not a Wikipedia repeater.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That is like saying ice cream has one of the chemicals from anti freeze In it....or coffee having formaldehyde in it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
She is college educated in this field, not a Wikipedia repeater.
I anxiously await her proof that plastic particles are added to margarine to make it more spreadable. Especially since, like, you know, plastic isn't an approved food additive in any country on the planet, and, in fact, if plastic is found to be in a food product, that food product is recalled.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tell her to stop doing the internet?...lol, maybe it's you that should stop believing everything on the internet, copying and pasting everything from Wikipedia, leading others to believe you have knowledge...lol....my meal delivery friend...lol..

You can anxiously await all you want. Till Hell freezes over. Haven't spoke to her in years, not going to do so now, either.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, that's the third time you've accused me of copying from Wikipedia. Prove it or STFU.

Also, "my meal delivery friend...lol...," are you that f'ing stupid that you think you can square up like that with the Forum Administrator and not get smacked back?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Code of Conduct Violation, and for being breathtakingly stupid.
In regards to the copying from Wikipedia, many are aware of you doing just that, not just me. You are notorious for that.

And be careful how you talk to me. It's amazing how you, a washed up expeditor, but still an administrative person on this starving website, breaks the same rules that you are supposed to enforce. But it has always been this way on this website, one of the many reasons why so many have left here. This website must be the only place in your life in which you feel you have power. Manly.. So sad...lol.

" smacked back"..... oooohhhh, now there's a threat that has me quivering in my boots...lmao...

However, I can easily afford to drive to Murray, Kentucky, ( isn't that where you live, in your ex father in laws basement?...lol), and we can take care of this face to face, if you aren't delivering food ???...lol..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did you see where a bunch of ice cream was recalled because it had plastic particles in it?

It's a shame, because it was the most spreadable ice cream ever made