water from the tail pipe

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My van always drops a puddle of water out the tail pipe. There's also some water that always leaks from the undercarriage. I've put my finger in both and smelled them, and it's water. The last Chevy Express I drove did the same thing in both spots. It's kind of annoying. Someone suggested that this--the tailpipe anyway--is normal catalytic converter function, but that doesn't sound right.

Anyone ever 'sperience this?

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Happens every day when I'm warming up my 4.7 V8 Dodge Dakota. 2 Puddles....1 right below the tailpipe and a 1 little past the Cat Conv.

Doesn't bother me though. Saves me a ton of money on bottled water too!!! I pull truck out of garage, put an empty bottle where both condensation points occur, and let truck run a little bit to warm it up. When bottles are full, I put the caps back on, throw 'em in the cooler, and I'm set for the day. :D:p:D

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
my suburban does this all the time.i thought it was abnormal but guess not since yours does it too.haven't seen any close to front. my expedition didn't do it.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I think what occurs is when you turn a vehicle off, the heat of the pipes is creating condensation. Since most exhausts are not angled downward enough in order to maintain road clearance the water produced by the condensation lays there until blown out by starting the vehicle.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
just like everyone else my 2500hd silverado does it to, not some much from cat, but exhaust pipes.....very funny about bottling it up....never thought of that...lol

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The internal combusion engine is a big air pump...a by product of combusion is water...it has to go somewhere and some of it goes out the exhaust some is burnt during combustion...also as was pointed out above condensation gathers in the exhaust system after the hot pipes cool off and then restart....my van when idling for extended periods of time will dump a small pond of water from the exhaust....some much that the last time i was in Laredo 2 guys asked me about it....

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My van always drops a puddle of water out the tail pipe. There's also some water that always leaks from the undercarriage. I've put my finger in both and smelled them, and it's water. The last Chevy Express I drove did the same thing in both spots. It's kind of annoying. Someone suggested that this--the tailpipe anyway--is normal catalytic converter function, but that doesn't sound right.

Anyone ever 'sperience this?

This one I know. Your driving a Chevy. Believe it or not it's designed that way. I had an old 350 that rotted the exhaust out from the moisture. I wrote Chevy and they told me all their engines do that. The higher the concentration of moisture the better your engine was running. That another reason why GM was the first to start using S/Steel exhaust systems to keep from rotting out the pipes.:D

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
water in the exhaust system is a normal funtion/ byproduct of the catalyst in the converter. every vehicle with a converter does this. thats why there are drain holes in the mufflers ect.

gardair

Expert Expediter
According to a class I had in emission control systems many years ago, the two main by-products of complete hydrocarbon combustion are carbon dioxide and water. Sounds to me like your engine/emission system is doing a good job of cleanly burning the fuel!