POLL Watch Lists and Guns

Should people on the No Fly Terrorist Watch List be denied to right to buy a gun?

• Yes, they are dangerous and should not have access to firearms.

• No, simply being added to a watch list is not enough of a due process to remove your rights.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm confused (easy to do nowadays)... Why are states involved in voting rights in the first place? ......
It's one of the last very few things over which states still have control. <snort>

Isn't voting something that should be determined by federal legislation?
That's certainly what the Obama administration thinks. <snort>

Article I, Section IV (known as the Elections Clause) of the Constitution states:

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

Congress can alter the states' control over things like setting a uniform date for federal elections (the Tuesday following the first Monday in November), and a few other things, like making sure state voting laws abide by the 14th (equal protection) and 15th (blacks can vote) Amendments.

States can create whatever rules they want for voter eligibility, including literacy tests, for example, as long as those rules don't discriminate against a protected group. Georgia has been under the thumb of the Justice Dept for years over some of its voting laws that blatantly discriminated against blacks. States redrawing voting districts to achieve a particular political voting result is an ongoing issue with regard to the Constitution and equal protection.

I think it was Texas back in the 1920s where the Democratic Party passed a law forbidding blacks from voting in the primaries. It was a law that was upheld by SCOTUS because the Texas Democratic Party was a private organization. But 9 years later that was overturned because primary elections have a national impact, especially when those primary elections are for national candidates.

But in local, state and federal elections, it's the states who call the shots, as long as those shots don't violate the 14th or 15th Amendmentd, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, or the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
13507084_597039717131214_3575176612779295018_n.jpg
......LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have been thinking hard on that statement.... Can you name one? For the life of me I can't think of any.
Well, there was an 8th day. :rolleyes:

If you do a Google picture search for "and on the 8th day" you will see a wide variety of manifestations of self aggrandizement by various groups needing to inflate their importance. Everything from farmers to firemen, the Irish, Italians, every branch of the Armed Forces. And usually not because of a need to disparage some other group, but rather to result in the Devil himself either standing at attention (those who demand strict obedience), or just running away in fear (bullies).

The fact is, God stopped creating after the 6th day, rested on the 7th day, and then first thing Monday morning handed over all control to Murphy.

Reactions: xmudman and Ragman