Waste of a Class A CDL

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In my travels I have run into to alot of drivers that have Class A CDLs and are driving straight Trucks. I ask them why drive a Straight Truck if you got A Class A. They all seem to make the same statement they can always go back to driving a tractor trailer. Yup part is right they can but they will start at the bottom again rookie status if they have not been driving A TRACTOR TRAILER FOR year or more. I know of one individual that lives in ohio and he was my partner for 3 months. Once every 9 months he leaves the straight truck that he drives and goes and drives a tractor trailer for 3 months at the end of the 90 day span his quals are good. Smart. SAL whats shaken?

Last edited:

jmlaber

Seasoned Expediter
If that's the class of truck they want to drive, they may just be meeting their carrier's requirements. I don't know how most carriers operate, but Panther requires a CDL A for straight trucks even if they're under 26k.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"Panther requires a class A for straight trucks" No offence but I find that hard to believe when Panther used to and still may offer "Free straight truck training for your spouse"

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
we drive a straight truck-both hubby and I have class A. Hubby 32 years big rig-wanted a change. We worked hard for our A.
Not giving it up-tomorrow could be a new day and we decide to climb back into those big boys. Is it a waste ? NO. what we learned will always stay with us.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Panther does not require a class a for straights. Unless they changed the rule within the last 3 months.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App