WARNING ALL 08 trucks

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
A warning to all driving 2008 and never diesel truck,with a diesel particulate filter[dpf]
Some if not all of these,turn on the engine brake to work,you have NO control of when this happens.you can have the e-brake turned off and the computer can turn it on.I was on black ice when mine decided to do this,I had no control as to the rear wheels when i backed off very little .the truck went sideways and across the oncoming lane,the steering could not correct because i of course tried to back off.Thank God that there was no oncoming traffic.Finally,I applied just enough gas to put foward pressure on rears,while applying the anti-lock brakes to get all 6 wheels at same speed.got back pointing the right way and right lane and used the same thing to slowly slow down more,[she still boke loose but could control it then.I pulled over the next chance,tried to manually cycle the dpf.finally got it to go,waited and when it was done took off again.Truck acted fine then.I have informened the NTSB and OOIDA of this.Please call and find out if your truck has this and if it uses the e-brake to cycle.!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mystictrans

Expert Expediter
What engine do you have? I have an 08 with a Cat and my jake only comes on when I tell it to, not when the particulate filter is doing a regen.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please provide details of your truck.

Auto shift transmissions and cruise control can activate the e-brake as well as some traction or stability systems but I have not heard of them being used for any DPF functions. Turning the e-brake on would actually be counter productive to a regen event, passive or active.

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
I am in a isuzu,since i posted i have checked a number of sources.
1 all inport engines use it[diesle]
2 some cat and most cummins
3 a dpf operates at 1500 degrees,they change the mixture and timing and restrict the exhaust to get it that hot.as in e-brake

4 i didn't post this to start a discussion about how truck work etc,i posted this to maybe have people check that there trucks won't do this not for other resones.but maybe to keep someone from wrecking,i would /could have been in a head on,in a cab forward truck,i might not have been able to say why it happened,just the police report of another truck haveing a wreak and calling the driver as at fault.

5 enough said,this is why I don,t post anymore,smart a come back

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I am in a isuzu,since i posted i have checked a number of sources.
1 all inport engines use it[diesle]
2 some cat and most cummins
3 a dpf operates at 1500 degrees,they change the mixture and timing and restrict the exhaust to get it that hot.as in e-brake

4 i didn't post this to start a discussion about how truck work etc,i posted this to maybe have people check that there trucks won't do this not for other resones.but maybe to keep someone from wrecking,i would /could have been in a head on,in a cab forward truck,i might not have been able to say why it happened,just the police report of another truck haveing a wreak and calling the driver as at fault.

5 enough said,this is why I don,t post anymore,smart a come back

Well much of your original post made no sense .
You shouldn't have been driving on black ice in the first place .
How could you have a head on if the truck went sideways ?
How do you apply the gas when the engine brake is on and if the problem was caused by the engine brake why didn't you accelerate slightly in the first place instead of backing off?
When you post a confusing message don't get angry when people ask for clarification .

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Dragon, thanks for posting about your experiences with your truck, it is nice of you to inform people of a potential problem.

I don't see where anyone was being a smart**** in reply to you, at least until Crazy posted.

Crazy, isn't the whole premise of black ice the fact that it's invisible, difficult to detect, and therefore quite hazardous?

And if your vehicle wanders off into oncoming traffic, some people, with a slip of the pen/keyboard, might just type 'head-on', when in reality maybe it would've actually been more perfect to say 'side-on', but for the oncoming traffic, had there been any, perhaps THEY would've been involved 'head on'.

Why must we pick at people's words so much? The guy was trying to get some feedback, as well as find some information to help himself and others prevent any future incidents like this.

No wonder people are hesitant to post on here anymore :(

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was taught at *skid pad school to immediately hit the clutch in a skid, then steer counter steer until back in control. If this technique is used it wouldn`t mater if the engine brake came on. (Shift to neutral on automatics).

*Wisconsin Vocational school

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I agree the first post that was nit picking was just Crazy. I can understand how it could quickly get the truck sideways, it only takes a split second for things to go bad.

Imagine driving cautiously along at night and all of a sudden engine rpms go up as you start sliding. We would all like to say that we know how to handle the situation, and that it is second nature, and if so you are the man/women. It's kind of like driving along and have a steer tire blow out, for lesser drivers it's a quick battle with possible death.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

When Dragon used the term "e-brake", I think he was referring to exhaust brake rather than the general term engine brake that would include compression brakes such as a Jake brake.

It would make sense that an exhaust brake would go into partial restriction mode to increase heat so the dpf can do its thing. What doesn't make sense is that this can't be overridden creating the situation that Dragon found himself in.

I haven't been in a big truck in over 10 years. Then the most common engine brake on OTR trucks was a compression brake such as Jake brake. Exhaust brakes were found on smaller, city trucks like refuse and beverage delivery trucks in hilly or mountainous urban areas of the country.

Dragon, you should check to see if there is a way to manually override the exhaust brake when driving in slippery conditions or maybe there was a malfunction that caused the exhaust brake to kick in.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dragon, could you point out what you saw as a smartazz remark in the 2 posts that followed your initial post? I just don't see anything remotely close to anything like that.