Waiting at the airport.... again.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Been sitting here with 13 of 17 boxes of Superbowl hats fresh from the embroidery shop.... waiting for the pickup truck with the other 4 boxes that didn't fit in my van so these things can get in the air to Milwaukee ... all because the customer service rep who took the order 3 days ago didn't bother to get dimensions on the boxes, so now people waiting for their hats in wisconsin will have to wait a little bit longer.

I swear I don't know how this joint stays in business. Only company I've ever worked for that doesn't get dimensions on any order they take. It's straight pieces and weight, nothing else. So far I've been paid for every single run they've sent me on that didn't fit in the van but I don't undrstand how they can keep going like this.

fired at you from my Droideka

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been sitting here with 13 of 17 boxes of Superbowl hats fresh from the embroidery shop.... waiting for the pickup truck with the other 4 boxes that didn't fit in my van so these things can get in the air to Milwaukee ... all because the customer service rep who took the order 3 days ago didn't bother to get dimensions on the boxes, so now people waiting for their hats in wisconsin will have to wait a little bit longer.

I swear I don't know how this joint stays in business. Only company I've ever worked for that doesn't get dimensions on any order they take. It's straight pieces and weight, nothing else. So far I've been paid for every single run they've sent me on that didn't fit in the van but I don't undrstand how they can keep going like this.

Because a customer calls and says "I need a cargo van" end of conversation....and dispatch believes them without confirmation of the DIMS...happens quite often..you are not alone....*LOL*

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because a customer calls and says "I need a cargo van" end of conversation....and dispatch believes them without confirmation of the DIMS...happens quite often..you are not alone....*LOL*

It happens with straight trucks all the time too.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Exact same way,I get sent after a 13000 # D load,that weights 19000#'s.Sure I made my phine call and got the tractor rate,but it slowed the process dow,as the pay change drastically,and paying party needed to ok it
When a 3rd party calls the load in,there can be all kinds of mistakes.I was once sent for a 20000# load to put in a van,problem was it needed to be loaded with a crane,and there was no way to put it in a van.Long DH and dry run just wasn't enough.Dementions and weight were fine,would have fit inn a van easy,customer had no dock,and only had a crane.No fork lifts either.Said they ordered a flat bed.FDCC said they never asked for a flat bed,or they would have sent one.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just the nature of the business. Stuff happens. Shippers mess up, carriers mess up. We just have to deal with it when it happens.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was sent on a run with 2 skids that needed Sprinter height as they sat. One had 35 boxes on it and one had 42 boxes on it. It was an IAC job going about 7 miles from the airport to the consignee. I suggested taking 7 boxes off the shorter and 14 off the taller skid and taking those and then coming back for the last 21 boxes. It would have cost an extra stop pay plus 15 extra miles paid but they said no and paid me a dry run and paid another unit to take it all at once. The customer got it all later than if I'd taken it and it cost more than if they'd paid me the extra I'd have gotten. A lose/lose for everyone.

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
We always get dims. They are hardly ever correct. Recently had a pick up with 100 boxes 24 x12 x10. No forklift available, no big deal, just hand load. Turned out they had 9 pallets. All could be broken down except 2. Four of us carried them from the truck to the airplane. And of the pallets we broke down, I don't believe more than a few boxes were 24x12x10.Dims usually wrong. Weight usually wrong. And total number of pieces usually wrong. :D

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Well, after sitting at the airport for 3 and a half hours, I finally did get something worthwhile. I got to take 6 boxes 220 pounds from a tractor trailer that was sent from 3 hours away to make that pick up at the dock 3 doors down from where I was sitting all morning . I'm on my way to madison alabama.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Today was one of those days where I would have paid money to be sitting at the airport... I couldn't scare up any freight, and my regular avenues all seemed to be exhausted...

At least my drivers out west were fairly busy, 8% of their gross plus the two local deliveries I did today will just have to suffice.

On the bright side, it was a nice day and I got to fix a few things around the house, and I sealed up a few of the "extra" holes in the floor of the van. :cool: