Voltage

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a 2001 Freightliner, over 500,000 miles on it.
The in-dash digital volt meter reads anywhere from 13.8 to 14.1 volts at any given time.
There are not extra lights, etc to drain power.....basically a plain jane truck.
Are these numbers about where they should be? Or is trouble brewing.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Thats normal, any "12 volt" system will run around 13.5-14 volts when running - less than that and something is not right.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I was told by the owner of the dealership where I bought my Western Star, that the voltage fluctuates, it is normal. But, if the voltage falls below 13.5 volts the alternator is not charging your electical system properly, if voltage goes over 14.1 volts your batteries will start to boil, which is not a good thing. The owner of the dealership was a mechanic for over 30 years, he still works in the shop when they are short handed.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I'm glad you mentioned boiling the batteries Spud........that's one reason I asked the question. I started with this owner and drove his truck back from Toledo (orientation) to S.E. Missouri (home). I kept an eye on the gauges as much as I could with it being the first time in the truck. I watched the volts fluctuate between 13.8 and 14.1, but every once in awhile I could smell what I thought was battery acid. That's what I was wondering, if the batteries were trying to boil or on the verge. Might have been that I was just driving past a chemical plant or something. Happened a couple times. Wasn't sure, but as long as the digital read out on the volts didn't go any higher I wasn't sure if there was a problem or not.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Suds, watching the digital readout will drive you nuts, it did me. I switched settings on my DataStar so it shows my mpg instead of the voltage. The voltage fluctuates all the time as the compressor kicks on and off, as well as other things electrical happens. As long as the volts don't go up to 14.2 and stays there your pretty safe.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Suds, watching the digital readout will drive you nuts, it did me. I switched settings on my DataStar so it shows my mpg instead of the voltage. The voltage fluctuates all the time as the compressor kicks on and off, as well as other things electrical happens. As long as the volts don't go up to 14.2 and stays there your pretty safe.

Datastar?

OK, I'll bite - what is it?

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Datastar?

OK, I'll bite - what is it?

The DataStar is Western Star's optional driver information center. It gives me a digital readout of everything that is going on with the truck as i go down the road. I can monitor the voltage, mpg, rear axle temp, oil temp, etc.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's cool.

I thought you used the Datastar system that is made for Boats and 'commercial' vehicles - maybe it is the same thing but I didn't see any mention of WS.

I got another logging system here that .... oh looky it says datastar on it too.... I got to hook it up and test it out. It is not really complaint but so isn't my laptop.

I just updated my Silverleaf program which does pretty much the same thing as your Datastar but it is through the laptop.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The datastar system I have is OEM and is built into the dash. Most newer trucks have them, only the name changes with the truck brand.

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
Check your Alt, to make sure it is not running hotter than normal, also check battery box for a sulfer or rotten egg smell. That is a sign your batteries are bieng over charged or they are shot. All in dash volt meters are kind of inacurate and funky.