Virginia to execute Jerry Jackson amid death drug row

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Sorry only partially finished the other reply, just left GM and had to drive.

This is from Revelation:
If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.

When reading the Bible you can see it doesn't matter if it is the old or new testament, it tells you kill and you will be killed.

These are the way execution methods breakdown:

Other states also allow electricity, firing squads, hanging and lethal gas. From 1976 to August 18, 2011, there were 1,266 executions, of which 1,092 were by lethal injection, 157 by electrocution, 11 by gas chamber, 3 by hanging, and 3 by firing squad.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

So are these inmates allowed to choose how they are to be executed?

As for the Bible - I do understand that there are passages that seem to affirm that killing is ok .... but it is the Commandment of Thou Shall Not Kill that I was curious as to how the States, that allow executions, get around it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

As for the Bible - I do understand that there are passages that seem to affirm that killing is ok .... but it is the Commandment of Thou Shall Not Kill that I was curious as to how the States, that allow executions, get around it.

Sue..it is the Bible....not a law of the land...there is nothing to get around except in ones mind....

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I need to do more research to see if it is still allowed today but I believe there are a few states that do give them a choice. There are also other issues like the guy from Washington on death row that was to fat to be hung, they were afraid the head would come off, so he ended up getting a life sentence by default. I believe Washington is one of the states you can chose a good old fashioned hanging or lethal injection which was not available before so it prolonged the court battle.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sue..it is the Bible....not a law of the land...there is nothing to get around except in ones mind....

Right... Biblical law supercedes :)

Sue,
This is a point of contention for many, even in church. I personally have trouble with the death penalty, however, the original greek translates "thou shalt not murder".

There is where the interpretation comes in. Many believe death as a punushment is not murder, as there is "just cause". What constitutes "just cause"? There's the rub.

I would not want to interpret that myself and get it wrong. I would defend my family...anything else... I dont know.

Dale

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

I cannot reconcile Biblical scriptures with capital punishment. Yet, the United States is not a theocracy nor anywhere near being one. Religiosity doesn't come into play with sentencing. The States and the criminal court system are bound by law. The American criminal justice system supposedly reflects the contemporary values of its citizens. Law and punishment are constantly under review and subject to revision as society demands.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
texas has a firing squad 5 men with rifels only one has a kill bullitt no one knows who has the kill weapon they are handed there loaded weapons and they put a bulls eye on his chest i think this works well and the cost of ammo is really cheap.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
"Thou shalt not kill" is properly "Thou shalt not murder." The New Testament tells us the State doesn't bear the sword in vain. It exists for a reason.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Right... Biblical law supercedes :)

Sue,
This is a point of contention for many, even in church. I personally have trouble with the death penalty, however, the original greek translates "thou shalt not murder".
Actually, the original would be Hebrew. OT.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
texas has a firing squad 5 men with rifels only one has a kill bullitt no one knows who has the kill weapon they are handed there loaded weapons and they put a bulls eye on his chest i think this works well and the cost of ammo is really cheap.

I think it is China that I heard shoots them in the head and then sends the bill for the bullet to the family.