Verizon new data plans

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As Verizon trails in the current unlimited data wars, even though it's not truly unlimited, you do get a lot more data at high speed, how about the newest options.

1 free gig a month to allow advertising tracking, app usage, location, etc. Normally, I would be opposed to such a thing, but since I'm on a 2 gig plan, I said what the hell.

Change in the $5 add on safety mode to avoid overages and run on unlimited 2G, after regular data is used up, has been changed to free with all plans. I have it turned on, but have yet to use this.

Now the part I think that is just stupid. You can buy 30 mins of unlimited data for $2, or 1 hr for $3. I can't imagine ever needing to do this, or would want to.

So on my 2 gig plan which I still don't fully understand, plus the bonus gig, promotional bonus data, monthly roll over, I average about 4.5-5 gigs on the 2 gig plan a month. Which is about all I need for the price, considering NFL games and go90 content are free.

I hope that Verizon will eventually give in to the pressure to add similar "unlimited plans" like its competitors, but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As Verizon trails in the current unlimited data wars, even though it's not truly unlimited, you do get a lot more data at high speed, how about the newest options.

1 free gig a month to allow advertising tracking, app usage, location, etc. Normally, I would be opposed to such a thing, but since I'm on a 2 gig plan, I said what the hell.

Change in the $5 add on safety mode to avoid overages and run on unlimited 2G, after regular data is used up, has been changed to free with all plans. I have it turned on, but have yet to use this.

Now the part I think that is just stupid. You can buy 30 mins of unlimited data for $2, or 1 hr for $3. I can't imagine ever needing to do this, or would want to.

So on my 2 gig plan which I still don't fully understand, plus the bonus gig, promotional bonus data, monthly roll over, I average about 4.5-5 gigs on the 2 gig plan a month. Which is about all I need for the price, considering NFL games and go90 content are free.

I hope that Verizon will eventually give in to the pressure to add similar "unlimited plans" like its competitors, but I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:
RT what is the monthly cost for that plan? Do you have a phone that's already paid for?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RT what is the monthly cost for that plan? Do you have a phone that's already paid for?

This months total bill was $69.70 (unlimited calling, text, roll over data, safety mode, 2Gig plan with benefits :rolleyes:) and yes the phone is paid for, iphone 5c.

My bill also includes a $11/month mobile protection plan. So I could get the bill down to around $58 if I dropped that.
I don't think that's too bad for Verizon, considering I'm ending up with almost 5 gigs with past and current promotions.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This months total bill was $69.70 (unlimited calling, text, roll over data, safety mode, 2Gig plan with benefits :rolleyes:) and yes the phone is paid for, iphone 5c.

My bill also includes a $11/month mobile protection plan. So I could get the bill down to around $58 if I dropped that.
I don't think that's too bad for Verizon, considering I'm ending up with almost 5 gigs with past and current promotions.
Just for comparison I'm on AT&T go phone no contract and pay $55 a month for 8GB LTE data in US or Canada (w rollover I have 11.2 GB this month) and unlimited calls and texts to and from both countries. Oh and Mexico too for when we secure the Amazon contract.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem with unlimited data plans are the people who will use the phone as their home WiFi router and watch TV and movies 6-10 hours a day, all of it over the Internet, using 500 GB or more a month.

The plan I'm on is the Nationwide Talk 900 for $59.99. It gives me 900 talk minutes, but with the 5 Friends and Family numbers and the fact that other Verizon phone numbers don't count towards that, I end up using about 100 of the 900 minutes.

I also pay $10 for 500 text messages (text to and from other Verizon phones are free). I usually use about 200-300 of those every month.

And I pay $49.99 for unlimited data.

So it's $119.98 a month, plus taxes and stuff, usually right around $132 a month.

I've also just added the $30 per month Mobile Hotspot feature (comes free with the tiered plans) because Pdanet will not work with Android 7. That's going to put me at about $165 a month taxes included.

On a tiered plan I can get 30 GB / $135 or 40 GB / $180, or 60 GB / $270, or 80 GB / $360.

Currently, with 11 days to go in my usage cycle, I'm sitting at 42 Minutes, 17 Texts, and 63.593 GB of data. (60-80 gb is normal for my billing cycle)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem with unlimited data plans are the people who will use the phone as their home WiFi router and watch TV and movies 6-10 hours a day, all of it over the Internet, using 500 GB or more a month.

The plan I'm on is the Nationwide Talk 900 for $59.99. It gives me 900 talk minutes, but with the 5 Friends and Family numbers and the fact that other Verizon phone numbers don't count towards that, I end up using about 100 of the 900 minutes.

I also pay $10 for 500 text messages (text to and from other Verizon phones are free). I usually use about 200-300 of those every month.

And I pay $49.99 for unlimited data.

So it's $119.98 a month, plus taxes and stuff, usually right around $132 a month.

I've also just added the $30 per month Mobile Hotspot feature (comes free with the tiered plans) because Pdanet will not work with Android 7. That's going to put me at about $165 a month taxes included.

On a tiered plan I can get 30 GB / $135 or 40 GB / $180, or 60 GB / $270, or 80 GB / $360.

Currently, with 11 days to go in my usage cycle, I'm sitting at 42 Minutes, 17 Texts, and 63.593 GB of data. (60-80 gb is normal for my billing cycle)
But you've been grandfathered in....That plan is of years far gone by....Family and Friends died 2 yrs ago.....LOL

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You know, we are all paying in to cell phones what we should be paying into retirement programs ,and add that 10 dollars a day many pay for smoking and you have spent a ton of money over a year.......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You know, we are all paying in to cell phones what we should be paying into retirement programs ,and add that 10 dollars a day many pay for smoking and you have spent a ton of money over a year.......
The same argument can be made using any routine or recurring (especially unnecessary) expense. Coffee, milk, life insurance, underwear, it's a long list.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The same argument can be made using any routine or recurring (especially unnecessary) expense. Coffee, milk, life insurance, underwear, it's a long list.

Or NFL Redzone on Verizon
Data free, but it does cost 50 cents a week (1.99 monthly). I didn't like my selected game this week, so I thought I'd watch them all :)

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I watched the Bengals today on NFL Mobile, which is free on Verizon.

But the Bengals are so horrible I feel like I should get a refund. Bengals kicker can't hit a PAT, while the Ravens kicker nails three from 50+ yards and then splits the uprights on kickoffs. And the way the game ended, the Ravens basically gave the Bengals a wedgie and then stuffed them into a locker. Thaaaanks Verizon.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I watched the Bengals today on NFL Mobile, which is free on Verizon.

But the Bengals are so horrible I feel like I should get a refund. Bengals kicker can't hit a PAT, while the Ravens kicker nails three from 50+ yards and then splits the uprights on kickoffs. And the way the game ended, the Ravens basically gave the Bengals a wedgie and then stuffed them into a locker. Thaaaanks Verizon.

Yup, that was my selected game. That's why I gave Redzone a try

Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Due to some social media apps I tried, I blew through my data early and got to try out safe mode at reduced speed (unlimited and free).

I was surprised that it worked rather well. EO app and email I could tell no difference. Websites worked pretty good. Sometimes pictures came up a little slow but nothing too irritating. Forget about watching any video or audio, kind of like the free wifi at the J

Since I limit any video streaming anyways to save data, for me safe mode was not bad for free.

But, and thus was a huge but for me.
You know all the free data NFL games and the Go90 content they offer. Well guess what, if your in safe mode, you can only view it at reduced speed, which means it's not watchable!

How stupid is this, that if I had 1mb of data left I could watch their data free content on 4G, but being in safe mode I can't watch the free data without buying more data. Now there strange plan offering of buying 30-60 mins of data makes more sense, anything to make a buck.

Since I would not be able to watch my NFL games or Redzone that I had to pay for, I had to upgrade my account by 2 gigs at least for this month if I don't change it back. Otherwise, I could have made it fine on safe mode.

Now the last of the rant. Safe mode prevents you from having overage charges when your data is used up. Great, I like that. But if they can use that, why do we have overages at all? Other then to line there pockets. The technology is there to prevent it, overages should never happen. Like with some other company's. Sometimes I get so sick of Verizon's own stupidity, I would leave if it wasn't for the "free" most of the time content. Mainly NFL mobile.

This concludes my rant. On the positive side I learned that safe mode after football season is over, will not be that bad

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No. Usually I'm in the 50-70 GB range. This is the first time I've gone over 80 I think. It was probably because I watched quite a bit more television than normal because of the election (and I couldn't get enough of the YouTube videos of the snowflakes having a meltdown).