Verizon MiFi

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm not so sure you could activate the thing without Verizon's involvement???

Good point. Verizon is famous for tricking you into contracts/service you dont want. So far there have been no customer reviews on Amazon for any one buying and then trying to connect on their existing plan. The in the box information indicates that Verizon software is included.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I would keep trying if I were you...I was afraid that the information would be different from person to person within Verizon, a lot like the DOT!! As a matter of fact, we spoke with someone the other day that was interested and I suggested they NOT go into the store for that very reason. Try again and if the person doesn't want to grandfather you in, ask to talk to their supervisor and take it from there. I've heard of people seeing things more clearly when they're reminded of how long you've been with them, what you've spent in that time, and maybe you'll have to take your business elsewhere....hey, whatever works!!

I really think these two new plans they're offering are gonna come up and bite them. The people are WORN OUT with paying more and it makes no sense to offer a device that connects 4 more computers and then offer only plans that are limited....unless of course, it's a scam that they don't want to talk about!??

Tried again. Worked this time. Maintained unlimited plan and got the mifi free as an upgrade. Thanks for your and DD's help.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Diva, does this work while rolling down the road? Many times I'm surfing the net while hubby is driving.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think about 2 air cards ago I lost my unlimited...goes to show one should read the fine print, but my LP broke down and I bought a new one and the slot didn't match and got a new card, I battled Verizon because they were going to charge me a cancellation fee....when in fact it was THEM that changed to card design for new slotted LP's and made my old card(year old) obsolete....point was I told them I didn't want to cancel they were making me sign a new contract which would void the old one....grrrrr those people...got thru to a supervisor who seen my point that I was being forced to cancel the old thru no fault of mine...they squashed the fee...but in all this fever...I still got scr3wed, they didn't say a word about the usage and I didn't notice the change....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Diva, does this work while rolling down the road? Many times I'm surfing the net while hubby is driving.

The signal is the same as with your air card, so wherever you can surf while rolling with your card, you'll be able to do so with a mifi.

As a side note, I envy your ability to do that. I cannot read a book nor "puter" while moving as I suffer from motion sickness.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I think about 2 air cards ago I lost my unlimited...goes to show one should read the fine print, but my LP broke down and I bought a new one and the slot didn't match and got a new card, I battled Verizon because they were going to charge me a cancellation fee....when in fact it was THEM that changed to card design for new slotted LP's and made my old card(year old) obsolete....point was I told them I didn't want to cancel they were making me sign a new contract which would void the old one....grrrrr those people...got thru to a supervisor who seen my point that I was being forced to cancel the old thru no fault of mine...they squashed the fee...but in all this fever...I still got scr3wed, they didn't say a word about the usage and I didn't notice the change....

If I'm following you, Ken, you're saying that in the middle of all of this, your plan was changed from unlimited to limited? Why not go back and argue this point again? I've seen them go way back through our records, trying to find a way to work with us for something we want. You should call, can't hurt.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
this would be about 2 years ago when they first went with the 5gbs...I was so busy fighting one scr3w job they got me on another.....I hate these phone companies...I hear Sprint/ATT do the same things...so what choices are left?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
this would be about 2 years ago when they first went with the 5gbs...I was so busy fighting one scr3w job they got me on another.....I hate these phone companies...I hear Sprint/ATT do the same things...so what choices are left?

Still can't hurt to try, if you're bothered enough by it. The two year thing wouldn't stop me from calling because I've seen them go back at least that far, figuring which line was qualified for their "new in two" thing. We carry 3 phones and the mifi is considered a line as well so sometimes ya gotta "go fish" when you want something.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still can't hurt to try, if you're bothered enough by it. The two year thing wouldn't stop me from calling because I've seen them go back at least that far, figuring which line was qualified for their "new in two" thing. We carry 3 phones and the mifi is considered a line as well so sometimes ya gotta "go fish" when you want something.

oh I know it is a game with them....at least i got the 175 cancellation charge dropped....that was a battle in itself...

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Just got mine up and running. That is one of the slickest toys I have seen in a while. One of the Verizon T\techs said they will be coming out with their 4G network shortly. Access will be dramatically improved. It's already good. I recommend this little beasty to anyone who wants internet access while on the road. Tried it at my house. Works just as well as my Dlink router and cable modem. The Wifi signal is actually stronger than my Dlink router.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
As a side note, I envy your ability to do that. I cannot read a book nor "puter" while moving as I suffer from motion sickness.
Thanks for the info Diva. :)
As another side note, you sure picked a heck of a job didn't ya? LOL

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info Diva. :)
As another side note, you sure picked a heck of a job didn't ya? LOL

I sure did!! It's ok if I'm in the front seat watching where I'm going (always advisable while driving) but if I'm in the sleeper, "moving about the cabin" is discouraged...:rolleyes:

atlas1220

Not a Member
My oldest daughter just taught me a new trick for my Omnia phone which is on Verizon. This would probably work for most any smart phone. [smart phone being the key here]

My phone has a wifi setting and I also have the data pkg for net access. Found out Verizon strips the program called "ICS" or "internet connectionm sharing" from all phones. Verizon don't want you sharing your net connection.

Since I own the phone....I obtained and installed the application called ICS. Now I can simply plug my phone into my laptop's usb and the laptop see's the phone as a modem.

And, I can also access the net using bluetooth [no wires]. Works for my laptop and my Garmin gps .....all off the phones net connection.

And, by using a program called "Mobile WI-FI Router"..... I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot. To test out, we had my 2 kids and my wife and I all connected at once. 4 laptops all connected using the connection off a cell-phone.

Now I have 1 wired and 2 wireless methods to easily connect just about any mobile device to the internet.

I do understand there's a 5 gigabyte limit per month, so I ain't gonna be downloading stuff.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

My "new" phone had a software issue...apparently Verizon knows this as soon as I went in and told them it was freezing up she knew what the problem was....BTW it can only be updated in the store...the fix ain't online..grrrrr

Anyhows...did some checking appears the guy in Best Buy did me in back on Jan 11/09 with my unlimited....the girl in the store couldn't erase the mistake...told me to call customer service and get a supervisor...to back date the Unlimited...during the week customer service is done in the US, weekends is contracted out to somewhere in the world...:eek:

Right now they are in the midst of changing the AllTel towers over to Verizon so there is dropped call issues from tower to tower....especially in rural areas...