Vehicle Activity

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
I just did a Vehicle Activity since the beginning of the year. What I found out was not surprising but confirms what I thought. (Gee the wonders of these computer things)
We have done 15 runs so far this year. Only 4 have been over 500 miles. 1,226, 790, 902, 688. The rest are in the 200-400 mile range.

So I decided to check the same for last year. Same time period.

10 runs. Only 4 runs UNDER 500 miles 421,141,196,366 The rest are over 1,000 mile run.

Revenue? I'm down $8,000 from this time last year.

Every long run we have accepted, we are just not getting. They are going to another truck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I did a little research after reading your post to see what our stats had to say. We along with many others hid out in California while the big storms raged in the mid west and the load offers were slim pickings. The time period we are sampling is very small and I think the stats reflect this. It is always a case of location location location on load offers for us in a D unit - non white glove - dry box.

2010 less then 500 mile loads - 12 2011 less then 500 mile loads - 6
2010 500 to 1000 mile loads - 4 2011 500 to 1000 mile loads - 6
2010 over 1000 mile loads - 3 2011 over 1000 mile loads - 2

Milage for 2011 is down 3926 miles compared to 2010

Rate for all miles is up .36 from 2010

Income in down $314.00 in 2011

I think the time period is to short to draw any conclusions or predictions on how 2011 will turn out. We are typically slow in January and January 2010 set a income record.

I realize we are not comparing apples to apples as your are an ER unit T-Val and our offers are different.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
What brought this on was we were offered a run yesterday loading 116 miles away going 1063 miles, Refer E load. We did not get it. I simply do not believe they had a 'closer' truck????

That's when I started looking at our Stats and Activity. Time after time we're offered good loads and just not getting them. After a while you just got to start questioning WTF is going on?

Called our CC this morning. Linda, you did more work and offered more of an explanation than the CC. I just filled out a satisfaction survey. I gave the CC dept the worst rating and in my comments I told them they should just do away with that department, they're worthless. I'll never call them again, it's just a waste of time and phone minutes.

You know we've been with the company 16 years. They are where they are at because of people like my wife and I.
When they decided to get into the temperature control business the company did not go out and buy 25 trailers and look for operators to pull them. :censoredsign: no they asked US to make the investment, which we did. Now that they have the business and they bought their OWN equipment they don't need us anymore, except to haul all the short runs.

BTW Linda,
You said your income was down $314.00 How would you feel if it was down $8,000 ??????

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I look at these changes this way:

FedEx Custom Critical is in the process of changing their business model which they have from day one we have been lease to them.

We, Caffee Enterprise have also changed our business model since day one leased to FCC.

I am sure FCC has not approved of some of our changes, but they have not been bad enough changes for them to cut our lease. Who knows that could happen in the future

Caffee Enterprise has not approved of all the changes FCC has made but up to this point they have not been bad enough for us to cancel our lease with them. In the future know knows...

For now our business model still works with the FCC business model. One thing I know for sure we will both change our business models in the future.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's when I started looking at our Stats and Activity. Time after time we're offered good loads and just not getting them. After a while you just got to start questioning WTF is going on?

It is the perfect question to ask when you are feeling like you do, but be careful of the hazards. Take time to think about what you are thinking about. Ask what is going on with your carrier. Also ask what is going on with yourself.

Have you ever seen someone so angry that he or she says to someone who is trying to calm the angry person, "I don't want to hear it!" What is heard may be very helpful but if one does not want to hear it, the help gets neutralized or ignored.

Have you ever had it happen that you look both ways at a stop sign and then proceed only to stop suddenly because you looked but did not see?

Several months ago, Diane and I almost left FedEx Custom Critcial. We were frustrated. We felt cheated. We felt disrespected. We felt used. We resented recent company actions and new policies that we believed were unfair.

Recognizing that we were in an unproductive emotional state and knowing that emotions can drive perceptions (love is blind) and interfere with sound judgement (if it feels good, do it), we took time to think about what we were thinking about.
This was a three-day exercise, important because it involved our future.

We went out of service, parked the truck and moved into a luxury hotel suite. The first day was for rest. We enjoyed nice showers and nice meals, and did little else. On the other days, we thought back about everything that bothered us about our carrier. Incidents that rubbed us the wrong way were written down, as were policy objections. We dissected each one, slept on it and thought about it more on day three.

The decision to stay with our carrier was made. We felt better after we unpacked every item that bothered us, examined our judgments and worked through the associated emotions. Part of the effort was examining our beliefs. Yes, we felt cheated in a certain incident, but were we really cheated? We looked at what happened. We looked at it from every point of view we could think of. We did so because we wanted to know that the story we were telling ourselves about the incident was in fact the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Our carrier made no changes in those three days but we did. Emotionally, we calmed down and lightened up. Mentally, we saw things in a new light. Moving ahead, we reduced the expectations we had of our carrier and changed some of our practices to relieve the stress the carrier's new policies created.

Short story: it took some effort, but by thinking about what we were thinking about, we responded to our carrier's changes with changes of our own in a way that positioned us for continuing prosperity in this business.

Notice the story you are telling yourself about carrier-owned reefer trailers. How much of that is true really, and how much is opinion formed and reinforced in frustrated moments? Does your story include the part about many of those units sitting idle in the carrier's lot? Does it include the part about why they are? Does it include information from other ER drivers about what they see and believe?

Notice the story you are telling yourself about your vehicle activity numbers. Do you have data on file to compare over longer time periods? Have you been in slumps before, and if so, how does this one compare? Or, might it be that being already upset, you are zeroing in on numbers that will justify your feelings?

Feelings are funny that way. They need to be fed to continue. Feelings will often close your eyes to some facts and open them to others to keep themselves alive.

I'm not saying your complaints are unjustified. They may be firmly grounded in the truth. Just be sure that they are before you talk yourself out what may yet be a good business opportunity. And be sure you have considered all the options before jumping ship.

BigWheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Well put Phil, we have had to check ourselves also after having an extremely rough start to this year. When I took my emotions out of it, and took some time for myself to relax. I realized that unfortunately people are not perfect, companies are run by people, therefore there is no perfect company and overall we have been profitable no matter how rough this year has been already. Would i enjoy long mile high $$ loads, absolutley. Would I like greater profit margins, yes. So while things are slow, loads are not as profitable, I am making sure that whatever I can do, is being done to make it happen. I have stopped relying on Fed Ex for my success, and started relying on myself to make things happen, because if I fail it is only my fault!! Hang in there, and I hope things get better for you.

Frank

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have seen odd things so far this year but with only 6 or 7 weeks it is hard to call it a "trend". MANY more short mile runs so far. The rate per mile is WAY up over last year and we have run 5 more loads than year to date last year. We down on gross by almost 3 grand. Strange year, hope that this is NOT a trend.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So far this year our load count is 19 vs 20 in 2010.
Our miles are down about 900.
Our pay is up about $1500.
Our rate per mile is up.
So far a pretty good start to the year especially if you consider that we were home (in service) 14 days so far this year.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recognize the apples to oranges comparison between van and truck, but having said that, my gross last year, in a van, was the highest in 21 years with FDCC/Roberts. DH miles were up, cost per mile were also up, but overall, it was a good year.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last year was one of our best since we started. This year may be too. Hard to say since it is only a few weeks into it. Only time will tell. I just hope what we are seeing so far does not turn out to be the norm. I kinda doubt that it will be.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
We took a c-load from Louisville to Ft. Worth area. Sometimes I think the rates are better on a c loads coming out of the same shipper than the trailer loads. ??

Everything they offered us yesterday came out of Memphis. I ended up taking one this morning that loads today. More deadhead miles than loaded. ??

We have always done real well in January/ Feb. and always planned on staying out as much as we could till March when we would go to Bike Week.

I can't remember seeing so many short runs with so many DH miles EVER!