Van vs Straight Truck

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have to say that is a sharp idea and very innovative. What is really cool is that you have no doubt a truely "stand-up" sleeper I am sure. What you've done with that expeditor van/Cube/box truck is interesting though, very similar to what some household moving companies have begun to do more & more in the past couple years. They're (household movers) are getting large straight trucks with attics over the cab, but incorperating a sleeper into the cargo box. You're able to identify these trucks by a window and/or vent on the cargo box just behind the cab. There's a small boot/crawl-thru space into the sleeper, which usually is very small though. The real neat thing about your cube van is that the sleeper is totally un-noticed, atleast by the photo's we see. Thats clever. As far as anybody can tell it's just a regular cube van like you'd get at a rental place, but it's not-it's much much more. Essentially you've built a sleeper un-noticed which to a degree safe guards your truck-'cause nobody knows you have all that in there. A very good job & very nice as well. Bob.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I have a 2002 Ford E250 extended van in which I have installed a 32" retractable sleeper. I have 98" of cargo space when the sleeper is down,and 10 1/2 feet when it is folded-up,hinged to the bulkhead panel.Most of my freight is delivered direct,and then I am able to set up my sleeper for the night.I use an auxillary battery to power an electric blanket and/or heater,and also have a Coleman Pro-Cat catalytic heater for nights(days) below 10 degrees.My van came with a special package from the dealer that included the bulkhead panel and door and complete cargo-area liner with E-track rails on each side.I added two rows of E-track to the floor and carry four straps for securement and a 12 foot chain to pull the deeper skids to the rear.I will be adding a TV and small refrigerator that will fit on retractable shelves attached to the side doors.I would show pictures,but am unsure of how to post them. By the way-I have driven for 24 years,but have switched to a van due to a severe back injury.