Van vs Straight Truck

eric907

Expert Expediter
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages in driving a van versus a straight truck? Is the income about the same?:)

G

Eric,
I've been running a sprinter for a few months and can already see where a small straight truck would have been a good move. I've missed several good paying loads either because I needed 2-3 extra feet or 1000-2000 extra lbs or my sprinter is not dock high. I've also been told that several of the big expediting companies arn't putting on any vans.

Having said that, I really like the sprinter and am getting enough business to keep me as busy as I want to be. It drives like a regular vehicle, I can park it at my house...you get the message.

I actually drive it around town when I am home. It gets better fuel milleage that anything I own.

So, after all my conflicting statements.

Choice is yours. Give and take with each one.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Eric, I'm not into the expediting industry yet, however am hoping that I soon will be. I've been on the big roads for 5 years now though, between trucks & busses. Something you want to ask yourself is how long do you plan on stayin' out for? Yes, A van is nice to keep in your drive way at the house. Yes, A van is nice to go around town in.
However, do you want to sleep in a 24 inch wide sleeping area, or do you want to sleep on a bed that is 30-32"+ wide? it makes a huge difference trust me.
Look at: http://www.alumibunk.com/cargoset.html <I hope that link came thru. Look there at Alumibunk.com at the cargo van section-it gives one a very good idea at what their living area is more or less going to be with a van. Then look at the Aero-Condo section on the same site> http://www.alumibunk.com/acset.html. While not all sleepers are alike, you will get the general idea. As somebody who has been out on the road for up to 3.5 months at a time, I can tell you, in my opinion-if you plan on being out for 3 weeks+, then don't get a cargo van. They work for some people, but me, I like my space.
Cargo vans are fast, easy to park, easy to get around in, & can serve as a personal vehicle. However they generally do not have the same amount of leg room as a larger truck, not to mention your storage area is not going to be anywhere near what you have in a larger truck. Check out Truckshower.com while your at it too, now that this product is out drivers are able to shower right in their trucks and/or beside them with hot water. No more wet wipes & sticks of deodorant for a shower. Also with the Van versus the big truck, the big truck is only generally going to be 35 to 40 feet bumper to bumper on an expediter straight/box truck-while that may sound big-it really is not. You can get automatic tranny's now for a box truck from what I understand too if that is a concern.
As for me, I've been in busses for 3 years & am going back to where my heart is-in trucking. I've driven busses all over the US & Eastern Canada, sometimes driving a 45 foot bus with a 10 to 15 foot trailer-now that is fine forward-however you get into town & start makin' turns & then get to a venue and/or destination & have to parallel park or back up-thats where the skill is.
Anyways, if it were me, I'd choose a straight truck-with a sleeper something over 60", thats enough room, of course 72" is even better. You can get a 72" sleeper on a truck with a 24 foot box.
What I'm sayin' Eric, is do not just look at the size of the truck to base your decision on. Base your purchase-if your buying it/owning it-on numerous things. Comfort is key-in my opinion anyways-Comfort is more than just being happy though, & that is where some fleets have problems.
Suppose you want to buy another truck & keep the 1st one & get a driver for it, Remember this if nothing else-a happy, comfortable driver makes for a happy, healthy company.
You will have more loads available to you with a big truck too, as we've all heard the story of a driver taking a box the size of a stapler across the country & gettin' paid his regular miles because he was the only truck available in that area. Suppose there's an engine that 2 inches too high for a cargo van-bingo, your in, with a van-you'd be out. I went thru TN a week ago though & saw a good amount (4-5) expediter cargo vans for Panther & Conway at a Flying J, as soon as the drivers parked-they got out & stretched their legs-some of them that were already parked had a good amount of stuff on the front passenger seat too. Neat though the way they had everything rigged up-small quarters but they seemed to do well. Freightliner of Knoxville I noticed as I drove by on the interstate had a very good amount of various kinds of sharp lookin' expediter trucks.
Well, now you know why my handle is MotorMouth.
Thats all for now, Later, Bob.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Eric, I think the real answer is about options. A real sleeper gives you the option of getting some quality rest plus having a choice of spare clothes along and a place to wash up if you don't want to take a shower today. The TV and microwave and cooler and closets are just frills you don't have in a van.

The real option is about freight. If you have a van, you can only haul van freight - unless the customer asks for a dock-high truck. With a straight truck, you can haul van freight, dock-high freight or any freight up to the capacity of your box and truck. More ways to work usually translates into less time sitting waiting for a load offer.

Yes, you can make a living either way. Van expenses are less, fuel mileage is better - but companies willing to sign on vans are few and far between right now. Be sure you have been accepted by the company of your choice before you sign the dotted line.

Vernon

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes Eric, Vernon has brought up a topic I was going to bring up again. The "Quality of Rest" subject.
We all know if your tired enough you'll sleep anywhere-lord knows, as I've been known to sleep standing up in motel/hotel lobby's.
After driving 8 to 10 hours+ you want someplace comfortable to rest in, & you WILL rest easier knowing you have more loads available to you. Bob

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
How Ironic I came across this thread today.

I am currently driving a Sprinter for an O/O and have been happy up until my first major snow and ice storm.
I put up with the van in the wind but in the snow and ice..combined with the wind!!!
It was two much for this fella...who already hit black ice several years ago and by the Grace of God came out unscathed but shook up!

I really like the room yet I must agree about the rest issue.
Rest and comfort is a big part of the puzzle in this career.

Last month I accepted a load which was a good load. Lo and behold I pull up to the plant and I noticed there was no ramp!
You guessed it they could not load me because I was not dock high.
So I lost time and a good load that day.

I say all that because I am being given the opportunity to drive a nice 2002 FL60 and I am more than likely going to take my O/O up on the offer.
I have to pass my class B test but I am up for the challenge.

I really like driving the cargo van and I told myself that I would never go into a straight truck (been there done that!) but that was for local driving.

I am coming to the conclusion that in expediting even though I was happy in the Sprinter.
There are some things I do not like.
I have a Bentz sleeper that folds down but it is very difficult to warm up the cargo area in fridgid cold weather.
Yes the sleeping bag kept me cozy...but wow!!! When you wack up brrrrr!!!

Sometimes the van is loaded to the max and I have to sit in the front seat until a plant opens up.
That gets hard on this fella's legs.

So I can conclude that in the summer it is going to be a sauna!

I adapted to the small space and it has advantages but I think I am ready to go into something bigger and more comfortable.
Yeah I'll have to deal with more paperwork and everything else that comes with a straight truck.

But if I can get more loads and be comfortable on the road while away from home then I am ready to move to a straight truck.

I'll let you know!!

Be safe

Spaceghost

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
SpaceGhost58,
About that FL60. That size truck is referred to as a C truck in most companies. The important thing to you is that the truck usually comes with a max GVW of 25599. This means that the only change you may have to make is getting an air brake endorsement (should already have the HazMat) to your class C CDL.

Our first truck with Roberts Express was a FL60 and we really loved it. I taught my wife to drive with a U-haul truck, which she used for her CDL examination. She easily moved over to the FL60 as codriver with her class C CDL.

Enjoy,
Vernon

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you get a under 26,00 GVW trk W/ Hadrilic brakes,you can skip the air brake endorsement.We have allways driven a "C" unit set up this way We both have class "C" W? Hazmat. and have been very happy with this.Our current truck(Freightliner M2 with 4 wheel hydralic disc). has more than enough stopping power.Plus you have no slack adjusters to deal with.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the above comparison of a van vs. straight truck, it seemed that a couple of items have been left out. First, the initial cost can be significant, especially for someone just getting into the business. A new straight truck can be 3 to 4 times more expensive to purchase than a van. The insurance is much higher on the straight truck as is the mainenance costs. If you buy a used straight truck, you can spend several thousand dollars a year on maintenance. With my FL70 it seems I cannot get anything repaired for less than $1,000. You save money on a used vehicle, but it can also spend more time in the shop. I have both a FL70 (1998) as well as a 1 Ton Chevy (2003). Sleeping and living in the van will never be as nice as being able to stand up in straight truck, having a larger bed and cruising down the road.

Another issue is the DOT. Quite simply, life is a lot less complicated for a van owner.

trump

Expert Expediter
spaceghost you say you have to get your b license. are you driving on a chauffers license. The reason I ask is I have a chauffers license now but thought I needeed a b cdl to expedite in a van. Any help or advice would be appreciated .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>if that cargo van is handling over 26,000 pounds...I want to
>see a picture of that Cargo Van!

WHAT? You're the only one who hasn't seen them?

**sigh** OK.. one more time... here they are.. I like the Peterbilt model myself.. on the second page....click below where it says 'Concepts and Prototypes' at the bottom

http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.html

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :p :p :p :p :p :p

Seriously Trump, some companies don't require you to have a CDL for a van, but some do. If they do, only a Class C is required. Class B is (as BigBusBob was hinting at!) is only required for over 26,000 lb gross vehicles.

Dreamer

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK Dreamer...I got mine ordered.Just wait till Carol finds it in the driveway.Tell me onething though,why did you insist on cash only upfront delivered to your home?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Seriously, I don't know of a cargo van that can carry 26,000 lbs., except ofcourse maybe that Kenworth "SUV"...
if you can't stop before you go under ....Smile!

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
Your right Vernon,

I can drive the truck with my current CDL license " Class C with HM "
That is good news for me and the truck does not have air brakes either.

I think that this will be a good transition truck to start out with.

Thanks for the information.

Spaceghost58

SpaceGhost58

Expert Expediter
I had to get a Class "C" with Hazmat Endorsement for the company my
O/O was leased to in order to drive the cargo van.

I am not sure what other companies require for cargo vans.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the feedback. You'll enjoy that FL60 the most when you encounter a "full" DOT inspection. As soon as they learn you have hydraulic brakes, the inspection is usually over in 10 minutes.

Congratulations!

Vernon

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
All I can tell you, is that if you are going to be a solo driver, I STONGLY advise you to go with a van. I drove a van for 1& 1/2 years, then I got into a D-Unit with air brakes, nice sleeper, all the creature comforts, and lost my you know what. The payments and expenses were way to high for a solo driver. You have to stay out 24/7 to even break even. You get a good long load over a weekend, but end up deadheading home, because they won't give you a load back unless its over the weekend. You need a co driver to make it work. Good Luck...Butch