Van Requirements

trump

Expert Expediter
If you pick up a load weather it is on a pallet or not does it have to be secured if you are using a van .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
> If you pick up a load weather it is on a pallet or not does
>it have to be secured if you are using a van .

No offense.. but I can't believe you're even ASKING!

YES! All freight should and must be secured! Do you want 500 to 2000 pounds of something flying at your back if you hit the brakes quickly.

Also... think about the financial aspects. Expediters haul everything from plastic and metal automotive parts, to delicate electronics. The last thing you want is some high dollar load getting smashed because it wasn't secured.:eek: :eek:

Companies usually require at least 1 row of E-Track on each side of the van, or on the floor. You will then use straps hooked into these, and crisscrossing the freight. 2x4's or brackets on the floor are used to help keep freight from sliding too.

I also recommend keeping a selection of small bungee cords and bungee 'nets' in the van. You may be hauling something as small as a lunchbox, and it still needs to be secured.

You can never have freight TOO secured.. trust me.... :)

Dreamer

trump

Expert Expediter
Sorry but I was asking because I wanted to know if it was a requirement. I myself would secure anything if it was in my van . I didn't mean to sound stupid. but I am training and the driver doesn't secure anything. No e-tracking or straps in vehicle.. I want to have all my eggs in the same basket before I open my mouth.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ahhh... I understand why you would be confused then! Yes, as far as I know, it is a requirement.

Who ever is training you is definately setting himself up for for injury or a damaged cargo claim.

I didn't mean to come accross harsh, but it always amazed me how many drivers don't secure loads in a van. I remember one driver not securing a couple drums of adhesive..... can you guess what happened when he hit the brakes... the drums fell over, and the tops popped open? yep..........

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+

Dreamer

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
secure ALL loads!!! Those drums I bet left a hell of a mess. That would have been worth getting a couple of pictures!

trump

Expert Expediter
Yes That would be a sight to see. This is my first time driving for a freight company. and I am getting a ton of experience. I have to stop and think before I act . I made a few mistakes again tonight but they were very minor things. And don't care much for going into Canada but you have to grin and bare it. Thanks for the great advice.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Canada can be an experience for someone starting out. Sometimes it is very smooth and sometimes it is not. Especially the waiting, if they are backed up at the Windsor bridge. On the up side, we have had very good loads come out of there, minimal deadhead and waiting.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Always Allways Secure Secure...I met a "D" truck driver recently who told of what happend to his first truck.He blamed the fork truck driver for not moving a 2000# skid to the front of his box.The skid was placed on the tail because the F/L was too high to go on the truck.Well this guy procedes down the highway untill some "stupid" 4 wheeler cuts him off.Panic brake application caused the skid to start forward.It went thru the box,thru the sleeper and partialy thru the truck cab.NUF SAID!!!