Cargo Van Van Purchase

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, do you run your truck at night for a/c or have inverter? How does that work?
I've got a battery bank in the grey box under the fridge. It powers the fridge, TV, vent, amplified antenna, Espar and some lights using 12 volts with 2 inverters. I hung a 2,800 watt Onan generator underside of the van, right behind the rear axle to power the AC and the microwave. And I did everything myself with a little help from some friends.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442193047.211952.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1442193401.786480.jpg

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, 19" w DVD for renting RedBox Movie's...flat antennae...gets a few channels depending where you're at of course.
Bill, your interior is lovely! Mine is very rough and rustic as I put it together myself. Have two inverters, Auxillary batteries, generators, 30amp shore power, Espar D4 for heat, roof Top AC.
Can't idle Sprinters due their Diesel Particulate Filter clogging if you do.
Thank you! It's still a work in progress. I run 2 weeks, then go home and work on the van a couple of days. Still need to install my aluminum side rail guides for side storage.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442193734.701021.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442193642.973017.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442193642.973017.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 49

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were doing it again with the tallest longest Ford I'd put in two Fantastic fans. One just above where my head would be when in bed and the other near the back. When I wanted max ventilation I'd put the one over my head blowing in and the other pushing air out.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
I've got a battery bank in the grey box under the fridge. It powers the fridge, TV, vent, amplified antenna, Espar and some lights using 12 volts with 2 inverters. I hung a 2,800 watt Onan generator underside of the van, right behind the rear axle to power the AC and the microwave. And I did everything myself with a little help from some friends.
View attachment 11976View attachment 11977

Well, by the looks of it, when the time comes I better have some friends with this kind of knowledge and ingenuity lined up! I'm not the most mechanical person by any means, but I know for me to be successful there is gonna have to be some element of comfort to my truck. Till then I'm gonna keep admiring the work of you Pro's out there and be jealous! Haha...

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were doing it again with the tallest longest Ford I'd put in two Fantastic fans. One just above where my head would be when in bed and the other near the back. When I wanted max ventilation I'd put the one over my head blowing in and the other pushing air out.
Always wanted at least one of those in my roof too but the Sprinter's roof has large ribs...it's not a flat surface except the section where the Penguin Dometic Roof AC was placed. Bummer. I've even considered small screened windows on both walls mid-rear for air flow.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're doing an awesome job Bill!
Is changing the oil, the drain and fill on the Onan easily accessible?
There is a door on the front with one quarter turn screw. Remove that door and air filter, spark plug and oil dipstick/fill is easily accessible. Drain plug is in a recess on the bottom. Only holds less than a quart of oil, so just drain it into an old gallon jug with the top cut off. Plenty of room to get at everything without even jacking up the van. Just slide under the right rear and it's right there.

Reactions: vandriver2

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've got 13' of living space when empty. Fridge, microwave, TV, AC, vent and bed/couch. Not a real tough way of making a living. In this picture the microwave is out, it goes on top of the fridge. And the curtains are out because I was working on the interior that day. TV on passenger wall just behind sliding side door. And added a new Espar after this picture. Onan generator mounted underside.

View attachment 11975
Where did you get the bed?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Always wanted at least one of those in my roof too but the Sprinter's roof has large ribs...it's not a flat surface except the section where the Penguin Dometic Roof AC was placed. Bummer. I've even considered small screened windows on both walls mid-rear for air flow.

Don't fear the ribs, unless it's a McRib.
I just used a lot of putty strips to level it out, and caulked the heck out of it, so far no problems, but lots of enjoyment :)

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We love our roof vent....helps with those 'stinky grease' loads! Lol
Open the vent and open fresh air on AC.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm kinda like bill, I like having the entire length of the van when sleeping. Two skids bed down, three bed up until I deliver. Also roof air, roof vent fan, espar, tv, dvd, fridge, honda 3000 on a rear swing rack. Two six volt batteries under the passenger seat and an 1800 watt inverter. I took out the microwave do my cooking with an electric skillet and butane stove

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fridge and stuff is in the cabinet to the right of the bed

Attachments

• 1442255246181.jpg
    1442255246181.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 114

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't fear the ribs, unless it's a McRib.
I just used a lot of putty strips to level it out, and caulked the heck out of it, so far no problems, but lots of enjoyment :)
Cool...you're inventive! Too bad they couldn't be placed on both sides and just used when parked. I've never looked at one up close and personal.

Prinmin

Active Expediter
I'm kinda like bill, I like having the entire length of the van when sleeping. Two skids bed down, three bed up until I deliver. Also roof air, roof vent fan, espar, tv, dvd, fridge, honda 3000 on a rear swing rack. Two six volt batteries under the passenger seat and an 1800 watt inverter. I took out the microwave do my cooking with an electric skillet and butane stove
Great info! Thanks!