Cargo Van Van Purchase

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
When purchasing an expedite van what is the opinion of all you experienced owners in regards to gas or diesel? Manufacturer?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're looking for comfort, get a Nissan NV. Made in USA. Good and powerful engine, but thirsty... you won't get more than 15-16 mpg. Also not too roomy, only 9 ft of cargo area. Ram Promaster would be another choice, more room, less gas (about 20 mpg), but not comfortable. Made in Mexico. If you're looking for a long lasting van, get a Ford E-350 extended.

Reactions: Steviegoblue

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Diesel=1 Million Mile Engine? Longevity is what I'm hoping for in my Sprinter. A minimum of 8 more years in my '11. Not having to Spend $ for another engine or whole Van. I like being able to stand up in it like I did my Big Truck.
Current Diesel Price...I filled my Sprinter for $2.39 yesterday. Not bad compared to $4.25/ Gallon in Chicago 2 years ago. Under Light to medium Load = 18 to 19.5mpg.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Diesel=1 Million Mile Engine? Longevity is what I'm hoping for in my Sprinter. A minimum of 8 more years in my '11. Not having to Spend $ for another engine or whole Van. I like being able to stand up in it like I did my Big Truck.
Current Diesel Price...I filled my Sprinter for $2.39 yesterday. Not bad compared to $4.25/ Gallon in Chicago 2 years ago. Under Light to medium Load = 18 to 19.5mpg.

You'd rather reach a million miles with a GM or Ford gas engine, than that MB diesel engine...

Reactions: wimpy007

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were buying a van next week it would be the tallest and longest Ford with a gasoline engine. I would frequently curse them for not putting enough wheelbase under it but it is what it is. Diesels are nice for mpg but more picky for maintenance, more difficult to find good maintenance when you need it, and more expensive to fuel negating part of the savings no matter what fuel prices may be. The Chevy G3500 would be tempting for cost etc. but having been there done that I already have the tshirt that says "NEVER buy a van you can't stand up straight inside".

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be really cool I think to hear from those with Original Engines whether Gas or Diesel who have or are near 1 Million. My German Made OEM Parts are worth paying for in my eyes for the Comforts my Great White Beast Provides me and that powerful Diesel Engine's Longevity. It fits my needs personally.
Fortunately for those of us with Sprinters who can access Sprinter Doc Wayne R. for our periodic Preventive Maintenance, the Costs for that Service are immeasurably feasible.
I think it's great that OVM will soon celebrate 1 Million miles! He's a great Preventive Maintenance example.
I admit I am spoiled and sold on my Extended Sprinter. It's an investment.
Love a full size bed, standing up in 6'2" space, and still have 12' of length inside for freight, Shore Power, AC/Espar.
I suppose every person's choice in vehicle is truly for their own personal reasons. What works for me doesn't for someone else and vice versa.
If I hadn't come from the comforts of my Freightliner Cascadia, perhaps I'd have chosen an '11 cargo van.
Ya know? It was timing and my funds available. I change my oil and oil filter here at home for about $97 and a Freightliner or MB dealership charges about $225. Purchase Oil when on Sale, Filters, Parts in qty. at a decent cost.
Pluses and minuses comparing many vehicles now available that weren't in '11.
I love filling up for $2.30 at my local Krogers.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a current sprinter owner that has had very few problems on his 012 at 320 thousand miles here's my thoughts.

Last choice, the nissan, horrible milage and too short, I would disagree with opel on the comfort, losing your bed everytime you have two skids is not comfort.

If I were in the market today I would look very hard at the Ford eco boost. As long as the long sprinter (not extended) decent mileage, service availability and pm cost. The overhang is no worse than an extended sprinter.

If I was choosing on strictly comfort I would get the extended sprinter. Longer overall, more cab room than the Ram or ford. Despite what some hope I don't think it's a million mile engine. I know two people who took impeccable care of their new body style units and replaced the motors in the mid six thousand range.

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be really cool I think to hear from those with Original Engines whether Gas or Diesel who have or are near 1 Million. .

I was pretty close to reach that million with the original engine (and transmission as well), unfortunately I had to give up on it because of its age (11 yrs old). It was running like a brand new one...

Reactions: vandriver2

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had some experience with it now since I got my first full-size van in '91.
My inclinations are to go with either Ford or Chevy, gas engines. Fuel will be a bit dear because those V-8s tend to be a bit thirsty, but--- they have legs, they don't break a Rockefeller to do most repairs, any mechanic can fix them (though you may have to keep an eye on some of the shysters).
I had a 2005 Sprinter, had to give it up just shy of it making 400,000 miles. It was the longest tallest 2500 series so it had that going for it, and it sipped diesel--- getting 400 miles and sometimes better on less than 25 gallons of fuel.
Downside: About the only thing that didn't break the bank was light-bulb replacement. Otherwise, any breakdown was gonna be at least 2K, could be more. Further, there's only a handful of mechanics that will even agree to open the hood--- a major problem when you break down near East Cowdropping, Tennessee and find out your van will have to be towed 60 miles to the nearest mechanic who will look at it. Most Mercedes dealers-- no. Most Frightliner dealers-- no. Back in the day Dodge dealers--- but most of those, no. Only the dealers who actually sold Sprinters would work on them. Most other mechanics--- hit or miss but probably no. Needless to say, I'm not anxious to buy another.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Not a million yet, but my 2004 Sprinter has 721k on the original engine and transmission. When I bought it, the salesman said that i should get 600k easily. So my plan was to replace it when i reached 600k. What i drive it past 600k is just icing on the cake. We shall see how many miles i can get out of it. I'll probably drive it until something major goes. I'm not planing to sink even $5k in it. It lived it's life gracefully.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Holy Cow. Great info and responses to my post. Through all my research it seems the Ford Transit seems to be best fit so far. Obviously go with Ecoboost. What are some of your sleeper ideas guys and gals? How about comfort on the road?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Holy Cow. Great info and responses to my post. Through all my research it seems the Ford Transit seems to be best fit so far. Obviously go with Ecoboost. What are some of your sleeper ideas guys and gals? How about comfort on the road?
Full size bunk/unclip Maggie's 6' long ramp and there's 12' of freight space. Passenger seat removed, mini frig secured there and Maggie's 4" thick pad to ride on and stick her head out HER window.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.6 KB · Views: 110

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Full size bunk/unclip Maggie's 6' long ramp and there's 12' of freight space. Passenger seat removed, mini frig secured there and Maggie's 4" thick pad to ride on and stick her head out HER window.

OMG that's fantastic!! I could live with a setup like that for sure. Is that a TV as well???

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got 13' of living space when empty. Fridge, microwave, TV, AC, vent and bed/couch. Not a real tough way of making a living. In this picture the microwave is out, it goes on top of the fridge. And the curtains are out because I was working on the interior that day. TV on passenger wall just behind sliding side door. And added a new Espar after this picture. Onan generator mounted underside.

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442185016.869179.jpg

Last edited:

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
I've got 13' of living space when empty. Fridge, microwave, TV, AC, vent and bed/couch. Not a real tough way of making a living. In this picture the microwave is out, it goes on top of the fridge. And the curtains are out because I was working on the interior that day. TV on passenger wall just behind sliding side door. And added a new Espar after this picture. Onan generator mounted underside.

View attachment 11975

So, do you run your truck at night for a/c or have inverter? How does that work?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OMG that's fantastic!! I could live with a setup like that for sure. Is that a TV as well???
Yes, 19" w DVD for renting RedBox Movie's...flat antennae...gets a few channels depending where you're at of course.
Bill, your interior is lovely! Mine is very rough and rustic as I put it together myself. Have two inverters, Auxillary batteries, generators, 30amp shore power, Espar D4 for heat, roof Top AC.
Can't idle Sprinters due their Diesel Particulate Filter clogging if you do.

Last edited: