Van Build Out

mtk1961

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Looking for information on what was required for building out your Van.

I am equipping my van for travel and expediting.

So far I have a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood bolted to the floor with 10' of E-tack screwed on both sides inside the wheel wells (54" between wheel wells).. My shelving in the van is over 48" off the Floor.
I noticed FedEx requires E-track on the walls above the wheels. I have room for that if I locate it at 21-27" with a 1/2' x 6" strip of plywood behind the E-track (not sure if this has to be on the sliding door as that maybe more difficult to install.. Before I add it I would like to know what the other companies are requiring of you folks so I can best position myself if/when I start. Not sure if it matters but I own a new 2018 Nissan 3500 SL High Top. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm on my third van and have always used E-Track, both on the floor and walls. Has anyone used L-Track? L-Track is more expensive being made of aluminum, but it is also lighter and appears to have more accessories. Also, floor mounted L-Track looks easier to keep clean than E-Track. Thoughts?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used E track. I took a sheet of half inch plywood and cut two 12" strips leaving a 24" strip. The 24" went in the center of the floor, then a row of E track on both sides, then a 12" strip of plywood between the E-track and the wheel wells. That fit just about exactly between the wells of my G3500. Then I put a row on the wall flush with the top of the wheel well and another half way up from there to the roof.

I had brackets that clipped into the floor E track I could put a 2x12 board into. The freight rested against it so it was one more barrier to it joining me up front. I'd then use two E track straps up and over the top of the freight and I'd cross them in an X pattern so one strap went left front to right rear and the other the opposite. Depending on the height of the freight I'd also secure it with the tracks on the walls although they were less sturdy than the floor tracks. I always thought E track was stronger but that was just opinion with no data on it either way.

Reactions: 96to22

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Welcome to this group, they are incredible teachers and very helpful. I am doing exactly the same as you and have been, drum roll please.... building it out since January 2017!

Yup. That is the truth and it ought to get the laugh it is. I am so close! The E Track has been purchased, nearly two years ago, and it is just now being placed onto the "maybe next" list.

In my defense, I have done so much research twice going to the Expeditors Conference plus looked and talked to so many expeditors & paid attention to these folks especially Ragman, Moot, Ziggy and others. Kindness & information has been the rule from them. Trial & error has been my design strategy. (Final bed design had 16+ iterations, LOL again).

I have learned that what was said at the very beginning: there are so many variables... freight, van, contracts, carriers there just ain't one way to pull it off EXCEPT...

If you don't treat the van as a business you probably won't last. That being said, I am thinking my personal maximum comfort is PRIORITY ONE. Being able to stay on the road and NOT gain weight or cause declining health is also the job of the van as a tool.

I am still holding out for getting to Fort Wayne for the Conference, 90/10 a no go, as I write this. I so want to do this and because of what I think is the best part of my design is HUGE flexibility in freight accommodation and personal comfort due to my willingness to redo the design to change things by 1/2" sometimes, the van can be reconfigured as fast as an IKEA kitchen. Final laugh... if it turns out that others too think my van design is the "perfect" blend of personal comfort & business tool I sell it in a heartbeat to get a 2020 model but be able to build it out in 6 weeks flat. Yes I do not include the big loss I shall have to take as part of the expeditor overhead, nor does going to college get treated that way either.

BucketListIndustries is my gig & making $ with expeditors shall happen.

BTW, Moot is especially impressive to me because I bought a 2016 Transit 350 eco HR EL to build out. His maintenance reports are STELLAR! Thanks Moot, I hope to thank you in person one day.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm on my third van and have always used E-Track, both on the floor and walls. Has anyone used L-Track? L-Track is more expensive being made of aluminum, but it is also lighter and appears to have more accessories. Also, floor mounted L-Track looks easier to keep clean than E-Track. Thoughts?

I have L track but it came with the van and it’s great. I don’t know how it compares to E track though.

Reactions: Moot

mtk1961

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the input!! It sounds like there is no one industry way of doing this so I will go with the FED EX as a Standard and change it if need be for another company.

Reactions: fastman_1

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had L track in a van I drove a few years ago.

I didn’t think much of it. There were spots the device wouldn’t work, and it was on the wall, so used sporadically.

It must be in the air or something, I’m planning on taking out my floor and putting in E-Track next month.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan