Valve Adjustment

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Is this called Valve Adjustment or Valve Train Adjustment? Second how often do you have it done and what is the cost.

Cummins

Cat

Mercedes

International

Just curious, I have heard every 125 all the way down to 50 which seems to be a little to often in my opinion. Had my first one done at 90k dealer seemed to be OK with that and I really did not notice any difference in the performance or Engine noise idle or at 65mph.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I just had a 3126b completly done ...and heard a few different things on that valve ajustment ..From dont need one to 50k to 100k.. I am amazed at the (some) of the incosistancies in the maintanance of my cat motors ..including the milage at which to change your oil..I am lost I think having alook is somthing you cant go wrong with but the timing I could not guess I will do mine close to 100k. My motor was do in in grand rapids, at the Mi cat dealer. good luck I will be interested to know what some of the responses are.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
When I had my engine replaced last month I asked what mileage Cummins recommended for having the overhead run on a new (or ReCon) engine. The Service Manager said around 100K miles is a good interval for the first adjustment.

Truck Shop Speak: "Running the Overhead" This term refers to the adjustment of the engine's valves, fuel injectors (if applicable) and adjusting the "Jake Brake" if equipped. Engines with HUEI systems (Cat 3126 and International DT series, for example) don't require injector adjustment as there are no push tubes or rocker arms for the injectors.

Rex

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Have Detroit 50 series 4 cyl in my truck just pulled up the bill for the last overhead, 2 hrs labor at $85.00/hr, $183.60 with tax they adjusted all 16 valves and reset fuel injector heights. I have been getting this done every 150,000 miles. Denny

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On our Cats we do them around 150,000. Most of the time they need no adjustment, but it doesn't hurt to check. I think the manuals say at 150,000.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Was just at the Dodge dealer getting the transmissioned serviced on our Sprinter. I asked the tech about running an overhead on it. He looked at me with a puzzling look after I explained to him what an overhead was, and he said that he thought the valves in the mercedes 5 cyl are hydraulic and self adjusting. I'm going to have to have that confirmed, because he wasn't too sure.

God Bless America

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Kraig, we had ours recently done at Piedmont Peterbilt in Greensboro for $150. They advised us about 100,000 miles (+-) after the reman. The other posts are accurate, depending on who you ask, it's 'around . . .', or 'about every . . .'.

The Gibster

Deville

Not a Member
I almost destroyed my 3126 cause the pervious owner may have not had an over head in the last 100k For some reason the 3126 deveolps lose rocker arm nuts and that causes the vavles to go out of adjustment especially on the number 6 cyl, the tech told me most of the rocker arm nuts where so lose he was able to remove them with just his hand.
CAT and FL told me every 100k or 2 years which ever comes first.
I did notice the truck had more power after having this work done.