VA. Updated GVW law

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Whoa there, I understand I just threw that in for the heck of it but those who seem to think that the FMCSA rules always apply.
The FMCSA rules do always apply (where applicable)

That doesn't mean however that there aren't other rules that also apply (where applicable) ...

However I wonder about buses, they are hauling for money so aren't they also CMVs?
Look it up on the FMCSA site - it's right there in the regs .... :rolleyes:

BTW, I posted on here about the 7500 lb requirement in VA over 4 years ago:

RE: Signage and Advertising

60MPH

Expert Expediter
The FMCSA rules do always apply (where applicable)

That doesn't mean however that there aren't other rules that also apply (where applicable) ...

Look it up on the FMCSA site - it's right there in the regs .... :rolleyes:

BTW, I posted on here about the 7500 lb requirement in VA over 4 years ago:

RE: Signage and Advertising

Yep VA. has said a TRUCK is over 7500 GVW for a long time. In June of this year they lowered the requirement to cross scales to 7500 GVW,

I was also reminded this morning in Portsmouth at the container yard/port that I MUST cross the scales, I asked and was told this TODAY as I crossed the portables they had set-up once again exiting the port/yard.

VA. loves to set up blitzes at this port for some reason.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Who care, :)
my statement had nothing to do what so ever with your case.
it was a public service for drivers, that still take a warning ticket over a fine, and by doing so, loose any fighting chance, yet a warning ticket will show on the carrier SMS score just as any ticket will.
just a short reminder .

next time please don't shoot the messenger,
I'm just doing what my brain tells me to.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Who care, :)
my statement had nothing to do what so ever with your case.
it was a public service for drivers, that still take a warning ticket over a fine, and by doing so, loose any fighting chance, yet a warning ticket will show on the carrier SMS score just as any ticket will.
just a short reminder .

next time please don't shoot the messenger,
I'm just doing what my brain tells me to.

MOOSE you quoted my post, that generally (not always) means you are directing your answer to said poster. Had you not quoted my text I would of not quoted yours and answered the way I did.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yep VA. has said a TRUCK is over 7500 GVW for a long time. In June of this year they lowered the requirement to cross scales to 7500 GVW,
Factually inaccurate - read the post of mine that I linked to above from FOUR YEARS AGO

I remember looking up the 7500 lb scaling requirement in VA FOUR YEARS AGO on the VDOT website .... and then called a scale master that confirmed it ...... FOUR YEARS AGO :rolleyes:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Factually inaccurate - read the post of mine that I linked to above from FOUR YEARS AGO

I remember looking up the 7500 lb scaling requirement in VA FOUR YEARS AGO on the VDOT website .... and then called a scale master that confirmed it ...... FOUR YEARS AGO :rolleyes:

OK, I was going by what I was told Wed. and this morning, both by State troopers. Something in June of this year was changed in regards to units with a 7500 GVW or more having to cross. I was under the impression that the updated law was in direct relation to crossing when we were not required to cross before. I see I was wrong on that fact.

As you posted some 4 years ago, I see where you are correct. I should have been crossing the scales ever since I started driving the van. Thank you for re posting the thread.

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Maybe Va is just now getting serious about enforcing it I have been thru Va and have not been stopping at the scale.