VA Perscriptions

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Did you know that most VA pharamcies will not refill persriptions anymore? This means you have no choice but to call in and order it to come through the mail. This takes 7-10 days. So what happens if it doesn't come in in time? You can't order your refill very much earlier than you need it. You can call your doctor and leave a message, but it may take a couple of days for them to get back to you because most are overloaded with patients. The pharamcy won't give you enough pills to get you by because of "policy". They instruct you to go to the VA emergency room to see a doctor who will order you some medicine. My question is how much money is being wasted by sending a patient to see an emergency room doc who then tells the pharmacy to give the vet what he asked for? The only difference in them giving it to you when you ask for it is you get it is about 3 hours later and it costs the taxpayers money for the vet to see a doc he doesn't need to see. Thank you for paying your taxes so I can go and see the docs without going in debt. I just wanted to let everyone know one of the ways your tax dollars are being wasted. I would like to see as many registered voters as possible call and talk to thier elected officals about this. It would save us vets alot of hassle and save the taxpayers alot of money.
Thank You

P.S. I referring to perscriptions with refills on them not out of date perscriptions or ones with no refills left.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mine arrive in the mail on time when they are due with no phone calls or vists. Perhaps your VA is not up to speed with whatever process they use.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Rich,
Thanks for the info. Our medicines aren't automaticly sent out. I sure wish they were. Maybe I need to talk to the powers that be and see if that model is feasiable for us here. By the way where do you go to the VA at?

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
bamamule
sorry but thats the way of VA trying to cut cost and the next step is going to move VA to the county welfair hosp yep us vets have a rude awaking

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Ark;
Being an ex-V.A. Employee ( As of a month ago ) and a Roomate to a Korean Vet.. I believe this has to do with your Service Connectability and Disabilty !
For him, he has always had to call them in or mail refill slips in !
Also...
He has also found that he can get the same perscriptions much cheaper at WallMart Pharmacey now !
Who knows.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I try to remember to call about 2 weeks prior to a planned home trip. It has worked pretty good so far. I have only run out of one perscription one time. Layoutshooter