V-6 or V-8

taleach

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone.

I am going to purchase a van in the next week and have come across a few good deals however I am wondering if I should stay away from the Ford V-6.

Is there anyone out there that has run a cargo van with a V-6. What kind of mileage do you get and how was the reliability. Was there enough power?

Thanks in advance!

Tim:D

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I think I would stay away from the V-6 as the business is called expediting and not we'll get your freight there sometime tomorrow! Seriously you would be disapointed with that small engine. As Tim Allen on "Tool Time" says "More POWER!" Have fun and best of luck. Let us know how you're doing once your up and running.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would expect the v6 to be better on mpg when running deadhead but no better and possibly worse under load due to more strain on the engine. I'd go with a v8 for certain and perhaps even an upgraded v8. I'd rather have the engine running well below max power with lots of reserve left. I believe it would save in repair/rebuild what it used in fuel. I'd also be looking at diesel. I know a couple of different people with the Ford diesels and they are getting 19-20 mpg with them with longer service intervals so they can be on the road making money more than the ones with gas engines needing service every few thousand miles. Good luck with whatever you select.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Well I've been running a 4.3L V6 Chevy Astro for the last 2 years and in my opinion it is a fine motor. I have had 2000# of cargo in the Astro with very good performance out of the truck. Also with gas prices being what they are I am pleased with the 15-17 MPG it gets.

It's a shame the rest of the van is weak, too weak for Real Work IMHO. While the rest of the van has gone to hell in a handbasket the engine still runs great at 200K miles.

Like others here I would rather have more power but with the price of gas these days I am happy with the fuel mileage I get presently.

--
Mike N

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I would expect the v6 to be better on mpg when running
>deadhead but no better and possibly worse under load due to
>more strain on the engine. I'd go with a v8 for certain and
>perhaps even an upgraded v8. I'd rather have the engine
>running well below max power with lots of reserve left. I
>believe it would save in repair/rebuild what it used in
>fuel. I'd also be looking at diesel. I know a couple of
>different people with the Ford diesels and they are getting
>19-20 mpg with them with longer service intervals so they
>can be on the road making money more than the ones with gas
>engines needing service every few thousand miles. Good luck
>with whatever you select.
Ditto on this, we have 470K on a powerstroke with comparable MPG. Also a diesel will save big bucks on idling costs

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Go with the Ford V-8 5.4 Triton 15 MPG
excellent and dependable engine have one with 400,000 mi.
still runs great. No Leaks ,quiet.
Gas engines are less expensive than diesel, and are easier to have repaired. Fuel cost between diesel and gas is not enough to pay for the extra cost of the engine.
When writing this diesel actually is more than gas per gal.
To eliminate idle expense have an Espar heater installed for $1300.00
even with the cost of the heater, you will save overtime on engine wear and fuel consumption.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Good choice on the V-8

Food for thought:

Consider todays avg nationwide fuel costs; $2.13 diesel, $1.96 gas.

at 20 mpg, a diesel costs 10 1/2 cents per mile.
at 15 mpg, a gas model costs 13 cents per mile.

Assuming 100,000 miles per year, a diesel will save $2,500 per annum. After the second year of savings, the diesel engine is paid for and the rest goes in the bank.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
Definetly V8,gas or diesel. We have a Ford Conversion van with a straight-6(4.9litre/300CI) that supposedly is much stronger than the new V6,but for our family car-that thing is a dog when it comes to power.My cargo vans are 5.4litre V8 gassers and even when loaded can run circles around the family van when empty. By the way,I have a 2000 Ford E250 ext for sale if you're still looking...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thunderboldt,

Sweet lookin van! Do you have that listed here on the EO Classifieds?

Wish I was ready to buy another one.. I'd be knockin on yer door.. LOL...

By the way, where was that pic taken... looks like ocean or lake back there? and is that a ships mast?

Dreamer

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
Hey,Dreamer-I've just got it listed locally for now.The picture is at Bender Park,on Lake Michigan in Oak Creek,WI, about two miles from our home.Back to the topic of V6 or V8- I would stay away from the Ford V10.The initial added expense and lower fuel milage(10-12mpg vs 14-17mpg for the 5.4) don't justify having the added power in this particular case. Good luck to you,taleach. Paul.