uShip, a real value to expediting?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not trying to be so negative all the time, but after reading the article about uShip on EO, I am trying to figure out if there is a value in trying to deal with the public in this form or for that matter having a clearance center for freight without any requirements for the carrier.

I can see where this would be great for backhauls to pay for fuel and such back to a freight lane.

I have been looking at uShip pretty much since it started and I am really floored at what people think is expensive when it comes to shipping. I found one posting where the shipper wants to only spend $150 to move 665 lbs of shrink-wrapped shells from Texas to Connecticut (a total of 1929 miles). Come on, hazmat load for 7¢ a mile. This is one example of many loads being offered.

I think that this may be a problem in the long run. It may turn out like a lot of hot shot truckers, there will be more people just using their truck/van/sprinter to haul without proper insurance and authority and taking a risk with lives of people around them. I think that the shotgun shells post will be picked up by someone who will add this to their truck without any thought of it and if there is a problem, well you fill in the blanks.

What do you all think?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I looked at it and started to register but when they wanted my birth date,drivers license number and a credit card too many red flags went up. No matter how you look at it it is a commercial transaction of a shipper and a carrier(you) . If you go interstate some type of authority needs to be in place. Also, insurance posed a big if. Most of us leased to an expedite carrier have their insurance in place in case of damage to the cargo plus public liability.

So If someone buys a $4,000 item off E Bay and you carry it and en route have accident, it would be a mess for sure. Your carrier wouldn't pay and you might have major legal problems.Since U Ship has your credit card number they just might hit your card with the value of the product shipped.

Now if I am wrong and have the information incorrect please tell us.

slowhand

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That article is going to open up a REALLY BIG can of WORMS. Wonder why they started out in the Southwest??? Food for thought.....

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After reading Rich's post I had to post the picture, and be a wise guy!!! Rich is right though!

For me uship is a really good tool and I plan to use is wisely. Like the rest of you who posted your concerns, I don't see this helping the drivers who are leased to other companies. I do see it helping those who have the right authority and insurance though.

Isn't this uship company in Leo's back yard? Can we get a report from him how it's going to help the expedite driver?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first red flag was reading the text where it said ....ebay users looking for cheap shipping. There's already enough of that on getloaded.com and others. When I got to their website and they wanted my cdl and other info that was the end of it. I use getloaded.com sometimes and also landstarbroker.com to get home or somewhere I need to go. It's possible I haven't checked out uship well enough and could be wrong about it but I won't get involved with something requiring my cdl and other information.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As for the site asking for a CDL, it isn't a requirement for anyone signing up. Then there's always the 123456789 method or xxxxxxxxxx.

By no means do I want anyone reading this reply, to take it as a pitch for uship. I am not

Like I stated above, I see uship working for me, in fact I have already landed 2 possible local deliveries from it yesterday. But! Pitt Express is a company, not just a driver looking to get to another location.

As for the article, I would say it was knowledgeable to some of us. If for nothing else, it made for a good fill in.

I disagree with what the owner of the site says about it being beneficial to the expedite driver (or did I read wrong) looking to move or to get somewhere. Notice how he mentions BACKHAUL Bull SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS In my books there is no such thing as a backhaul, that is a common word most use for hauling cheap freight.

I see it working for someone to sit day in and day out in front of a PC and monitor the loads. Set up 10 or so piggyback loads all being picked up in one area, and delivering to another, but to say this is beneficial to expedite drivers I don’t see it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK here is something to think about, there is a paradox with uShip and Expediting.

As Leo mentioned that the article stated “ebay users looking for cheap shipping” and that is my point entirely, everyone (shippers) wants cheap freight but we will eventually pay for all of this.

I mean that here we are worry (and complaining) about fuel prices, ect but what appears to be a good thing for a few is really a problem for all of us. I heard things like until the shippers start paying realistic shipping rates, there will be always this problem of no one making money, which is true. But supporting a company that promotes cheap freight is counterproductive for expediting.

As for eBay, it as actually ruined a few areas of retail/mail order, like antique car parts. I am sitting on about $40K of parts and still will sit on them because I will not sell things for scrap prices. It is not I have a lot of competition on eBay, but eBay has marketed their site as getting something for cheap or almost free with cheap shipping and that is unrealistic. A guy who has a $300k car and needs a part that is worth $500 should not expect to pay $50 for it. Example; I am selling a rare part for a car they only made 120 of 70 yeas ago and was told by a customer that they can get it on eBay for a tenth of my price on eBay is really frustrating.

Teacel, I am just wondering if you got those two loads you mentioned?

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Good Morning everyone,I looked at the site and i see it would be great for someone who has a van or truck that is not leased to a company and would like to pick up money delivering and picking up items,But as far as working with Expediting company's and drivers the rates and pickup and deliver times are not very flexible.The rates or cheap and i agree if something is broke who really is going to pay?????

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I don't think uShip has ever said that this the place where you will find premium paying, door to door, exclusive use, time sensitive freight.

It's not their model.

There are hundreds - if not thousands of carriers that provide those services.

What I think it is - is an alternative, especially for the smaller units when they are out in some far off area like Phoenix.

An alternative to fill empty miles with *something* that works for you. If it doesn't work for you don't do it.

I've already heard from a few small carriers that it has worked out fine. It paid for a portion of that $3.00 a gallon fuel when they would have moved their trucks empty anyways.

As with any opportunity - if you don't like it just do what RichM did, don't do it.:7 :7

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Sacred cows make the best burgers

"So tell me, are those cookies made with real Girl Scouts?"

Sometimes the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it just gets replaced

You can't tell a book by its movie

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I checked it out again and you don't have to put CDL or other information of that nature. I'm in OKC so I checked for a job. Within 200 miles there's a motorcycle in Garland, TX going to Garden Grove, CA and they're looking to do it for $300 for 1440 miles. Let's not forget on top of that uship is going to take 7.9% of YOUR money for the privilege of hauling CHEAP FREIGHT. That's the only job within a 200 mile radius so uship is useless for me.

I suspect uship will be around because there are enough people saying yes to cheap freight to keep them in business. I can't say I wish them well because I wish just the opposite to any and all entities perpetuating the cheap freight problem.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I joined U-ship after reading the article and I find it to be another source for possible work. You can bid on freight that fits what you want to do.
The customer can accept or refuse bid. If you do not come to terms no one is forced to accept the load. No dispatcher to be upset with you,no load acceptance requirements.
Some loads payed cash or certified check that I looked at. Remember you decide to use it or not.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Teacel, I am just wondering if you got those two loads you
>mentioned?

As a matter of fact I just deposited the CASH in the ATM. Wasn't much, but neither was the job. A student who lives in the state of Washington, is renting an apartment here in Pgh, but had to wait till Nov to move in, so her family put her up in a dorm until now. Her furniture was in a self storage building (4 pieces) paid me $$$ to pick it up and move it to her new apartment. The second job is set up to be done next week on the 22nd. Again! A working girl moving needs help with the larger pieces.

So you can stop wondering if I got them.

Let me give some kudos to EO!!!

Again EO is working! I think this site (EO) was built on the dream of one guy setting up a site that can (and does) provide information to others. I don't think it meant he has to please all of us.

I hate cheap freight as much as the next guy, but reality is it's here. I used that little move as a filler adding more hours to my drivers’ day. Sometimes a person has to do whatever to satisfy others. I saw the opportunity to help the guys working for me, and went with it. The 2 guys, who did the job, are glad I was able to find this small move, because it added a few more hours to their work day. Without it their day would have been cut short.

I too read the article took a gander at uship, and was able to apply it to my business.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Awesome!!!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Sacred cows make the best burgers

"So tell me, are those cookies made with real Girl Scouts?"

Sometimes the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it just gets replaced

You can't tell a book by its movie

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is a lot of talk about cheap freight in the EO forums, be it from U-ship or other sources. Expediters that have a business model based on expensive freight need not worry.

Just as there will always be shippers (experienced companies or unsophistocated individuals) looking to ship freight cheap, so too will there always be shippers (experienced companies and unsophistocated individuals) looking to acquire the best transport services money can buy. The latter market is serviced by FedEx Custom Critical White Glove Services, Panther II Special Services, certain Landstar Express America trucks, and others.

If you sold an antique grand piano on eBay, or bought one, who would you rather have ship it; a no-name trucker that you met through the Internet or a brand name expediter or moving company that arrives in your driveway with all the right equipment, compliance paperwork, and insurance?

Shippers of high-end products will continue to call upon high-end truckers when they have freight to ship that they care deeply about.

pamc

Expert Expediter
uShip ... freezes my computer

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. While looking around uShips website and seeing what's on there. On two occassions I've clicked on a load to see what it was -- then my computer froze. You could hear the harddrive working hard to do sometime, but the system was frozen. This happened on two different occassions (the only 2 times I visited uShip) -- was not looking at same item either.

This does not happen with any other websites I visit. So far, just uShip. Not sure if their software is not compatible with Norton's or what? But this is a [possible] heads up to you.

We ended up having to manually power down the computer and re-boot. A manjor pain in the &%#.

I did email uShip and told them of the issue.

Anyone else out there with similar problems?

J-

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Some great comments on here thank you all. I personally would not encourage anyone who is an Expediter to utilize this as a means to fill any gap. Take the MTCY, for example put a scratch on that gas tank now its gona cost you $, time and aggrivation to fix it.

These shippers are not concerened about packing, crating, or securing the freight thats all your problem with no extra $ just he who does it the cheapest. And how does one get a MTCY on to a truck with out a liftgate? Not on my nickle, you load the freight, unload it, I am only paid to get it there safely.

We are in business to haul rush loads that pay us big $ or we are out of business. If you find your self stuck in a bad freight zone than a lesson to be learned, do not make the same mistake twice. Here is a good example, I run to Canada quite a bit. Was asked to take a load to Saskatoon, since I did this before and ate the DH I said I would if the customer agreed to pay me full rate back to MNPS they agreed so I pocketed almost $2K extra for the run on top of a great run already. (Just for asking) If they said no that was not my problem.

DH is part of this business, just be smart about it. Cheap freight will cost you time, & $ say the MTCY shipper was to meet you and was late by a day or the guys to help unload do not show up on time, than whatcha gona do? Charge him Extra? To many possibilities of way to many problems KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID nothing personal.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another point on this I failed to consider earlier is company split. I get an 85/15 split when I find something on my own. With uship taking 8% now it's 77/23. That's still not the worst in the world but if it were my old company at 62/38 it then becomes 54/46 and the uship load that's already cheaper than the getloaded.com cheap freight is now even worse. Granted, 54% of something is better than 100% of nothing, but unless you run under your own authority don't forget the split on top of the uship fee.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Comment a % of something is better than 0. I would like to dissagree because if your gona pick up a load and unload how long will that take?

Lets just say your in Portland OR, no loads available its now 4 PM so one side says find a load OK add 6 hours to your travel time down to LA where you know a load will appear back East (not guaranteed) now you spend an hour or more finding a load thats not gona cover fuel costs you spend what 3 hours finding, loading etc.. drive to LA area another 1 hour finding the place and 1 hour unloading than 1 driving to a truck stop.

Time is $ and while driver A DH he already has load back to Jacksonville while driver B is still sitting. Now granted driver A is out $300 in fuel costs and a day (team) of travel driver B now has three days tied up.

This business I thought was about alot of timming and luck, you have to be in position by 2PM for that days luck to go your way. Taking on cheap freight costs you time. We need to look at this business by the month not one load at a time by doing otherwise only costs you big $ after a month/year. This is EXPEDITING not LTL, ABF can take ten of these small shipments bunch them togher and make a nice profit, we on the other hand will LOOSE $. There is just no majic wand to make this profitable.