usage fee

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It depends. The fleet owner may be leasing the truck to you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok...I guess it depends on how it is written in their contract. You could be on a 60/40 split giving you 100 percent of the FSC and they are claiming the 40 percent as a "usage fee".
Hard to tell without reading the contract. The verbage could be applied differently in several applications.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
No, I am not leasing he said it is something they charge for tax purposes. He said if they didn't I wouldn't be an independent contractor I'd be an employee.

They are basically renting the van out to you so that you remain an independent contractor because they want to show you had a stake in the equipment. It is not normally done but it is the smart and legal way to do it. All these drivers out here that are classified as independent contractors on a 60/40 split are actually employees in the eyes of the IRS. It seems your fleet owner knows the laws and is doing a good job of protecting you and his business. The usage fee itself is not common because a crack down is unlikely.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your making good money the usage fee shouldnt be an issue. Simular to an escrow that most carriers charge to cover expenses you have when you leave. Read the contract if you have questions and dont get clear answers properly resign and drop the truck or van off at thier office.

Bob Wolf

outandbout

Active Expediter
If you are not leasing the equipment and the person you drive for is having control over your operation even as simple as determining how long you are supposed to stay out before going home, then you should print and fill out IRS form ss-8 to be reclassified as an employee.

Link:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf