US judge zaps Harry Potter plagiarism suit

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
NEW YORK (AFP) – A US federal judge dismissed a lawsuit alleging the wildly successful Harry Potter books were plagiarized from a story from a little-known British author.

The suit filed in New York against the publisher of the J.K. Rowling books had argued the stories were inspired by Adrian Jacobs's "The Adventures of Willy the Wizard No 1 Livid Land," published in 1987.

Judge Shira Sheindlin wrote that there were major differences between the works, contrary to claims that Rowling had borrowed from Jacobs's book for "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

"Indeed, a reading of the works unequivocally confirms that they are distinctly different in both substance and style, and ultimately engender very different visceral responses from their readers," the judge on Thursday said in a 49-page ruling.

"The contrast between the total concept and feel of the works is so stark that any serious comparison of the two strains credulity."

Scholastic, the US publisher for the Potter series, said it was satisfied by the dismissal of the suit from the estate of Jacobs.

"The court's swift dismissal supports our position that the case was completely without merit and that comparing Willy the Wizard to the Harry Potter series was absurd," company spokesman Kyle Good said.

"Judge Scheindlin clearly agreed... Scholastic will continue to vigorously defend any such frivolous claims challenging the originality of Harry Potter and the brilliant imagination of its author, J.K. Rowling."

Jacobs died in a London hospice in 1997.

Rowling has earned hundreds of millions of dollars from the Harry Potter books and films.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Wonder if she's related to Judge Judy?

Found this but it wouldn't open .....

Judith Sheindlin: World News, Tweets, Pictures and Videos - Liquida Sep 17, 2010 ... According to the WSJ, the ruling, by U.S. District Judge Shira Sheindlin (apparently no relation to Judith "Judge Judy" Sheindlin), ...
Judith Sheindlin: World News, Tweets, Pictures and Videos - Liquida - Cached

I must confess I like the "judge" shows - I'm a TV hog (or so Tony says LOL) when we get home and these shows are on :D

Judge Judy has me cowering behind a cushion when she gets angry :eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't care for them too much but I do really like Judge Judy. She must have been a Texan in another life. She's not afraid to tell it like it is as harshly as it needs to be told. I wouldn't want her mad at me.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Found this but it wouldn't open .....

Judith Sheindlin: World News, Tweets, Pictures and Videos - Liquida Sep 17, 2010 ... According to the WSJ, the ruling, by U.S. District Judge Shira Sheindlin (apparently no relation to Judith "Judge Judy" Sheindlin), ...
Judith Sheindlin: World News, Tweets, Pictures and Videos - Liquida - Cached

I must confess I like the "judge" shows - I'm a TV hog (or so Tony says LOL) when we get home and these shows are on :D

Judge Judy has me cowering behind a cushion when she gets angry :eek:
They have done interviews with the people who appeared before her when she was a 'real' judge. They say there is no real difference between her show and what she was like as a judge. All I can say is Awesome.

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
They have done interviews with the people who appeared before her when she was a 'real' judge. They say there is no real difference between her show and what she was like as a judge. All I can say is Awesome.

When a "teen" starts answering Judge Judy with "yeah" "so" "maybe" etc its a ....Uh Oh she's not going to like that moment :D