Us dot number?

brosis2

Active Expediter
Any help with this is appreciated:

i work for a small trucking company in Pennsylvania we have fleet of 12 vehicles of which 10 are cargo vans and the other 2 are vans converted into cube trucks. we're a motor carrier so my question is...are US Dot #s needed for the 2 cube trucks?

'

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If the gvwr is 10,001 lbs or more and you travel across the state line, yes you'll need dot numbers, logbooks and you'll be expected to stop at the scale houses.

There may be other considerations also, but Im pretty sure of the above. There a ton of discussions on this topic. Using the search function on top right of the page should bring up something helpful.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason you see dot numbers on vans is because the law is if any vehicle in the company needs a dot number then all vehicles have to display one. It doesn't mean anything because if the vehicle your in is under 10k your not a commerical vehicle.

Simple answer.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The reason you see dot numbers on vans is because the law is if any vehicle in the company needs a dot number then all vehicles have to display one. It doesn't mean anything because if the vehicle your in is under 10k your not a commerical vehicle.

Simple answer.

No, that's not true.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
A DOT number is not required to be displayed under 10k. A carrier can't even get a DOT number without having trucks over 10k GVW. If you're just running cargo vans, you can't get one. Before I had straights signed on I inquired about it because a couple freight sources I was trying to get were wanting my DOT number and I had a heck of a time convincing them that I couldn't get one.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmm...

I had a DOT # back in '04 when I was hauling Amish in a 15-passenger van. When I stopped doing that, the DOT suspended the number 'cause I didn't need it. Last year, I got my own authority, and they reinstated my DOT #. My van is my only vehicle, and it's <10K. So I'm curious:

A. What should I have on my doors, my DOT # or my MC #?*
B. If I can't have a DOT #, why did the DOT reinstate it?

* My doors say (company name)
(USDOT #)
GVW 8550

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A comercial vehicle is.
1) Any vehicle with a gross vehicle of 10,001 lbs or more.
2) Any vehicle used to cary passengers or property for hire.
3) Any vehicle used intrastate or interstate comerce.
4) Any vehicle used to transport hazmat of any type regardless of weight.
5) Any vehicle with six or more tires this includes dualys.

Broken down, If your vehicle is for hire or used to make money, move people or freight or hazmat, in or out of state, or has six or more tires even vans and pickup trucks, its comercial. Check the plackard with the vehicle weight ratings if the GVW is over 10000lbs its comercial, dose not matter what your registered for. Your best bet is get a dot number learn to log and be legit. Also pick up a coppy of the F.M.C.S.A. regs
If you chose not to please get out of the freight business.

So, the cop was right you just got lucky.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
A comercial vehicle is.
1) Any vehicle with a gross vehicle of 10,001 lbs or more.
2) Any vehicle used to cary passengers or property for hire.
3) Any vehicle used intrastate or interstate comerce.
4) Any vehicle used to transport hazmat of any type regardless of weight.
5) Any vehicle with six or more tires this includes dualys.

Broken down, If your vehicle is for hire or used to make money, move people or freight or hazmat, in or out of state, or has six or more tires even vans and pickup trucks, its comercial. Check the plackard with the vehicle weight ratings if the GVW is over 10000lbs its comercial, dose not matter what your registered for. Your best bet is get a dot number learn to log and be legit. Also pick up a coppy of the F.M.C.S.A. regs
If you chose not to please get out of the freight business.

So, the cop was right you just got lucky.

Who said anything about a cop?

And I dont know the regs by heart but I think there is some bs in your list.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Who said anything about a cop?

And I dont know the regs by heart but I think there is some bs in your list.
You detect correct. #2, 4 and 5 are what set off your detector. The FMCSA regulates Commercial Motor Vehicles, not merely "commercial vehicles" (which would include plumber's, electrician's and floral delivery vans). The FMCSA regulates heavy trucks and buses, and other vehicles which present a danger to the public. They do not regulate taxi cabs, or Avon sales reps who drive across state lines to sell someone some perfume. Nor do they regulate Bubba's dually pickup or Harry and Marge's dually RV. The FMCSA definitions of a Commercial Motor Vehicle are pretty straightforward and not open to interpretation.

They can be found here:
All Regulations
Federal motor carrier safety regulations; general
Definitions.

Subpart A - General applicability and definitions

§ 390.5Definitions - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
My question is : If you are a legit business that hauls freight ( and since this subject is such a Grey area ) , why would you want to get pulled over at 2:00 in the morning and have to attempt to explain to Barney Fife the laws of DOT #'s to him or her ?? I mean , come on , it only costs $300.00 and you're good to go !!
Another thing to consider is : if I own ABC bolt and have two expediters - Billy Bob without DOT #'s and Johann Yoder that does have DOT #'s - then bingo - Johann Yoder gets the load !! Yay - Johann Yoder wins again !!!!!!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I have under 10k vehicle dot#

dot# is free dont cost a dime its the MC# that cost $300. the dot # I have says vehicle registrant only.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I do it this way so I dont have to pay sales tax when I buy trucks and I can lease owner ops put them on my insurance and supply plates free of charge to them.but none of them that are under 10k keep log books.and none of them are stickered.plus it lets me put IRP plates on my one ton duallys that I lease out to other carriers and display my own ifta stickers.My one ton pick-ups are plated for 35,000 lbs they and they do keep logs and are subject to fmsca regs.

chs007

Seasoned Expediter
FED says under 11000 I think not DOT but on 10001 up you need log I have just under 10000 GVR on my box and I need to knock wood in 2 years no problem I have my owm MC number but do not have them on any of my cargo vans nor box trucks
Might be a good idea to put stickers on your doors and the rear of truck that say under 10K like Penske does. Because your driving a cube van officers might mistake you for a heavier truck.